• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which version of CTSC do I have? And a few more questions......

Hey guys, I just purchased my 1995 NSX that has a Comptech Supercharger installed. The car runs great. But I wanted to make sure everything (fluids, belt, pulleys, bearings, etc) are in check. My questions are:

1. Which version of CTSC/Whipple do I have and what is the PSI of boost typical with this model?

2. I checked fluid and it is full, smells good, looks good, no metal shavings on stick, but I do not know the last time the oil was changed. Should I change it? The sticker says to CHECK FLUID (not change) every 4000 miles.

3. Based on the answer above, if it should be changed, what is the best to remove the oil, as I read its only around 6oz.....

4. The pulley area, possibly the bearings ? make a little grinding noise at idle. Is this normal? What should I be looking for that are signs of possible problematic issues?

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-09-08 at 1.22.08 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-09-08 at 1.22.08 PM.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 200
Hard to tell from the pic but the oil dipstick is an older version. Is the boost control mounted behind the alternator? Also your fuel line should be mounted behind the resister rail into the filter.

Hey guys, I just purchased my 1995 NSX that has a Comptech Supercharger installed. The car runs great. But I wanted to make sure everything (fluids, belt, pulleys, bearings, etc) are in check. My questions are:

1. Which version of CTSC/Whipple do I have and what is the PSI of boost typical with this model?

2. I checked fluid and it is full, smells good, looks good, no metal shavings on stick, but I do not know the last time the oil was changed. Should I change it? The sticker says to CHECK FLUID (not change) every 4000 miles.

3. Based on the answer above, if it should be changed, what is the best to remove the oil, as I read its only around 6oz.....

4. The pulley area, possibly the bearings ? make a little grinding noise at idle. Is this normal? What should I be looking for that are signs of possible problematic issues?

Thanks so much!

1 - you have a Whipple based CTSC, they came in either low boost (6-7lbs typical) or HiBoost (8-9lbs typical). If you take another picture of the Fuel Pressure Regulator on the rear firewall I can narrow down the kit you have, You can also measure the dia of the pulley and we can tell you what you have as well. Chances are it is a standard Low Boost setup as not many HiBoosts were sold.

2 - you should change the oil in the blower once a year and check at every oil change.

3 - use a vacuum pump or turkey baster to remove the old oil then fill to marks on dip stick.

4 - All screw type blowers and in particular the Whipple make noise in the blower gear assembly due to gear lash, it has been described as sounding like bolts shaken in a metal coffee can. It has been discussed and described to death on this forum. do a search for "blower gear lash"

If you really want to know the health of the CTSC as a system it should be placed on a dyno and check wHP, boost, and AFR. Those three items will tell the story and let you know if anything is needed on the car. As a new CTSC owner I recommend you order and carry in the trunk a spare belt. They are rarely stocked in auto part stores. You will need one at some point if you drive the car much and should be changed every three years or 15,000 miles. You may get more life out of your belt but between the minimal belt wrap and hi RPMs they just do not seam to last very long. Get the Goodyear GatorBack if you can over the Gates belt.

Enjoy your new car, they are a blast to drive and own.

Dave

1 - you have a Whipple based CTSC, they came in either low boost (6-7lbs typical) or HiBoost (8-9lbs typical). If you take another picture of the Fuel Pressure Regulator on the rear firewall I can narrow down the kit you have, You can also measure the dia of the pulley and we can tell you what you have as well. Chances are it is a standard Low Boost setup as not many HiBoosts were sold.

2 - you should change the oil in the blower once a year and check at every oil change.

3 - use a vacuum pump or turkey baster to remove the old oil then fill to marks on dip stick.

4 - All screw type blowers and in particular the Whipple make noise in the blower gear assembly due to gear lash, it has been described as sounding like bolts shaken in a metal coffee can. It has been discussed and described to death on this forum. do a search for "blower gear lash"

If you really want to know the health of the CTSC as a system it should be placed on a dyno and check wHP, boost, and AFR. Those three items will tell the story and let you know if anything is needed on the car. As a new CTSC owner I recommend you order and carry in the trunk a spare belt. They are rarely stocked in auto part stores. You will need one at some point if you drive the car much and should be changed every three years or 15,000 miles. You may get more life out of your belt but between the minimal belt wrap and hi RPMs they just do not seam to last very long. Get the Goodyear GatorBack if you can over the Gates belt.

Enjoy your new car, they are a blast to drive and own.

Dave

Dave, thank you so much for taking the time to answer all of my questions! Looks like I will go ahead and change the oil, since I don't know the last time it has been changed. I will take a pick of the fuel reg. tonight to confirm which boost I have. Also, where is the best place to buy those GY Gatorbacks? Thanks again!

You need to know the existing belt length in order to get the correct replacement. you can look at the current belt and see if the part number is still visible on the belt. If the number is not visible you will need to remove the belt and measure for the correct length.

Belts can then be purchased online or at a local parts store that carries GY belts.

Dave

Back