• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which winter beater should I buy?

I would highly recommend the Subaru Legacy GT. I had an 06 LGT with a manual transmission and it was great. There is a forum dedicated to the LGT and that's how I ended up selling mine. The good thing is that they don't tend to have high resale value for some reason (good for you/bad for me when I sold mine). If it's a beater car you could easily find one with out the turbo for under 10K but if you want 250 hp in an awd sedan the GT is the way to go. Unstoppable in the snow. If you really want to play try and find a Spec B. Good luck.

I would highly recommend the Subaru Legacy GT. I had an 06 LGT with a manual transmission and it was great. There is a forum dedicated to the LGT and that's how I ended up selling mine. The good thing is that they don't tend to have high resale value for some reason (good for you/bad for me when I sold mine). If it's a beater car you could easily find one with out the turbo for under 10K but if you want 250 hp in an awd sedan the GT is the way to go. Unstoppable in the snow. If you really want to play try and find a Spec B. Good luck.

+1. I test drove a few LGT's so far. One was sold out from under me after I put a deposit on it :eek:. Looking at 2 more, hopefully one will check out.

I went through an entire Vermont winter season with a set of studded snows on my NSX. Got through everything no problem. Plus you don't have to worry about rust :p

Our definitions of beater are at total opposite ends of the ballpark. I consider a beater between $800-$1000, and leave it on the side of the road when it explodes. I usually have two beaters for redundancy and alternate between the two.

+1
$10,000 buy a nice car, not a beater

Back