• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Warning lights on - I finally have a failure!

Yep ... after all these years the inevitable failure occurred ... bright red warning light appeared right in front of me on the dash ... and the first thing that ran through my mind was that "it's gonna be expensive". The second thought that ran through my mind was that I should have sold the car this past summer when it was clean and sparkling after that long awaited waxing job my wife gave the car.

What about all those articles I read about how reliable the NSX was ... rated by some magazines as "the most reliable car ever" ... "the Germans could learn a lesson or two from the Japanese engineers" ... "Twenty five years ahead of The Big Three" ... and so on.

I always kept up with the regular maintenance, followed Bram's advice religiously on Winter Storage Tips, revved the motor into the 7's every now and then just to clean out 'the pipes', Shell Premium ALWAYS, and every other ridiculous meticulous behaviour that any psychologist would diagnose me with an obsessive compulsive disorder!

Well it looked like it finally may be the end of the road for my NSX. I didn't even bother to stop and diagnose the problem. I was only 10 minutes from home and just drove it straight into the garage. By the time I pulled into the driveway, the red warning light was burning a hole through my retina. It was worse than staring into the July afternoon sun by the water ... God help me ... I CAN'T SEE!

Pulled into the garage ... turned on some Pink Floyd as I knew this was not gonna be a 5 minute fix ... brought out the factory shop manual and reached for the Snap On tools. Yes - the Craftsman tools were not going to be sufficient for this problem.

There it was. Found the fault after a short time (watch out Rob ... I can do this too. I should get a job with Octane Motors :smile:). A failed NSX component after 22 years of service! A true definition of OEM! The original, right out of the NSX factory component had failed - the rear tail light!

I quickly replaced it with a 97 cent Stanley bulb from Canadian Tire. I know the Stanley wont last 22 years, but as long as it still goes on till I get the new generation NSX I will be happy. Why can't other manufacturers build cars like this?

5pjd.jpg

OMG....time to sell, because it's falling apart, that is what AL Cars do.

I read some place in one of those Japanese mag that the NSX will fall apart after 22 years. This has also been confirmed by Mr Uehara that with this type of failure is the first signs, this is based of his analysis using his Cray computer. ....therefore

After doing my DD.....My bid in cash was sent in a sealed brown envelop....did you get ?

Bram

Its a done deal my friend. Dont put that bulb in or pull it out fast... It will only increase the issues and the dominos will fall fast!

No worries. I can come and pick her up for free! My new garage has room for 2! ;)

Back