• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

who actually runs AEM EMS

The AEM CANNOT be tuned properly by an amature! Find a shop or someone that has EMS tuning experince and let them tune it. See my post above about Horspower Freaks and their tuner...he is willing to travel to tune...I believe that he was just in Italy tuning a Supra. If you need AEM EMS tuned call them!

Factor-X is a AEM tuner also and they seem to have given up. The AEM is proven on a lot of different cars but I have not heard of the NSX running without issues yet. Dan

X-TNSIV said:
so has anyone personally made this work on their own car yet?

I purchased one back in Feb, but still reluctant to install it...since I have not seen any results.

Allen

Look here. Fantastic results with the EMS so far on my car and since then a good friend's 93!

Having seen 2-3 cars/week (Honda, Acura, Mazda, and Toyota) tuned on the EMS at Payn Technologies and the feedback from those customers, I would deffinately say the AEM is doing well.

I have sent Mark Basch our last tune as well and believe he is having great luck with it!

-Devin

As we had mentioned many months ago, the AEM is not for the weak of heart. Many people were promoting it as the end all be all Engine Management Solution before they even got their hands on it. We are still using the AEM v.94 in our NA car. We want to test V1.03 before we endorse it with the NSX. We had no real promise date on the transition period so we went with what we know works. MoTeC.

If you plan on having your car tuned with the AEM EMS make sure you are taking it to a certified AEM tuner, preferably an ADVANCED AEM TUNER. We have had great success tuning countless Hondas and Supras with the AEM and we are factory trained distributors for MoTeC, Pectel, AEM. If anyone has any further questions feel free to call anytime.

The EMS is only as good as its tuner.

Factor X Motorsports said:
Many people were promoting it as the end all be all Engine Management Solution before they even got their hands on it. We are still using the AEM v.94 in our NA car. We want to test V1.03 before we endorse it with the NSX....

I have had my hands on a couple of them and although I wouldn't call it the "end all be", I would call it a great value IF it performs as designed. But I am extremely frustrated at the lack of response from those with lots of AEM experience as to exactly what problems they are having. Are there inherent problems with the NSX unit? As we understand it, initial release was delayed due to some kind of signal "noise" or interference. Are there still problems of that type? For example, I kept getting a very distinctive "wave" form in the A:F ratio. (actually somewhat square on top and saw tooth on the bottom) Are others seeing this? Exactly what problems are you guys having? (Not just Factor X, but Mark Basch, Chris, Gerry, Cybernation,...)

One of these days I'll get back to working on that and I'd like to think I'm not wasting my time, or worse yet, risking my engine.

96-EJ6 said:
I was just cruising this forum and came across this post, I don't know if you have gotten your EMS tuned yet or not. My co-worker has an H22 EG civic, fully built, turbocharged, EMS, ect., the car runs absolutly PERFECT!!! Sean Mcelderry from HorsePower Freaks in Portland, OR did all the tuning. He' totally straight up, and knows the EMS inside and out. Reid (my co-worker) is extremely pleased with the results, to say the least. Their contact number is (503) 760-7444. Hope this helps.

I thought Chris (with the white supra) was one of the owners?

is sean the one with the Silver FD?

I talked to these guys a while back when I first got my car. Very small shop though.

Allen

sak said:
Actually all standalone engine management units are only as good as the tuner, not just the AEM EMS.

Yes, yes, yes, let's please all concede that. :rolleyes: However, my questions were quite clearly not about tuner ability but rather any inherent problems with the AEM/NSX unit. In other words, at best an ECU is only as good as a tuner, so how good is the AEM?

Gerry, I know what you use personally but I had heard, perhaps wrongly, that you had worked with the AEM for awhile (for someone else?) and abandoned it.

One of my customers wanted to use the AEM but after seeing the bad luck that others were having with it along with the little problems, we went with the Tech-3 and didn't even take the AEM out of the box.

Gerry Johnson said:
One of my customers wanted to use the AEM but after seeing the bad luck that others were having with it along with the little problems, we went with the Tech-3 and didn't even take the AEM out of the box.

OK, that's quite different than I had heard 3rd hand. Thanks for clearing that up.

We'll be burning gas with 12 psi and the AEM EMS 1.03 by the weekend.

I'll update everyone after the dyno.

Sjs,

Here are some of the issues we encountered over the past 6 months with the AEM. Speedo Fluctuation (thanks for the fix SOS), a fried motherboard, mis-calibrated factory settings x2, grounding issues x2, and some timing issues. Over the course of development with AEM these issues seemed to have been resolved for v.94. Our primary concern was the release of v.1.03. New UI, features, usability, etc. Anyone that knows software knows that these are not medial tasks. Hope this helps.

Supercharged: Any numbers yet???

I'm really surprised at all the problems that every one has been having with the EMS. I guess after riding around in the Civic so much I'm used to it just driving like it is stock. What makes the NSX so different??? What particularly is giving everyone so much trouble when trying to use the EMS?

Soon, I wanted to get the after-cooler polished so I'd be all pretty for Expo - it is due back today.

Regarding your question on the AEM - my understanding is that it comes completely blank at this point for our application. It is a lot of work to set up the first time and then may only be applicable to the particular setup - ie, we are running 9.5 compression, 91 octane, aftercoolers, headers and stock cams. We'll initially tune for a street friendly power and after testing probably create another for race gas and higher boost.

For the mass applications these programs have been developed and are occasionly freely shared, for more custom setups they are generally held closely by the individual tuners.

The AEM does come with a base map for the NSX. I have 9.5 compression. I have a file for my twin turbo running 9lbs of boost if you want it to start at a base map. It will get you close. I also run 550 injectors.

96-EJ6 said:
Version 1.03 is now availible which I believe supports traction control.

This traction control you mention I believe is AEM's own version of traction control. It still does not support the TCS already in the NSX.

Allen (X-TNSIV), since you are located in Portland OR, you are local to one of the best AEM tuners, Sean McElderry @ http://www.torquefreaks.com. I'm jealous. Contact them and they will surely take care of you.

The only people having problems with the AEM EMS are the ones who don't know what they are doing. Everyone else seems to be doing just fine...

The AEM is a good choice if you are looking to go with an EMS because it plugs into the stock harness, requiring no wiring except for a MAP sensor and optionally, a boost solenoid if you want to control boost with the AEM (turbo guys). It also costs a lot less then the other options available (Motec, TEC3, etc) and requires less work to get it running, installation wise. For a NA car, it might not be worth it, but for any force induction NSX, it is a definitive must. You will have a safer, better running, and more powerful car.

286 NSX said:
...The only people having problems with the AEM EMS are the ones who don't know what they are doing. Everyone else seems to be doing just fine...

Simply not true. Apparently you are not aware that the base configuration had several significant parameters set incorrectly. That cost some of us many precious hours and aggravation. The initial run also had a jumper wire left in which caused problems. An lets not forget that the release was long delayed by tough to solve grounding or interference problems. The NSX model was not just another Honda application, it was a special challenge and may still suffer minor problems.

I’m not knocking the AEM, but your statement insults those who suffered the problems of the first few batches.

SJS,

I apologize if you took it that way. I understand there were problems early on, but those problems have been addressed. I see too many people buy the AEM EMS and expect to just plug it in and have their car run perfect. It's not going to happen.

nsxxtreme said:
This traction control you mention I believe is AEM's own version of traction control. It still does not support the TCS already in the NSX.

That is correct.

I am going to send my AEM out to CA. this winter to be upgraded and have the speedo problem fixed. I believe it has to be upgraded at the factory. Can anyone confirm this????

Back