• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who, if anyone, is prospering in the current economy?

Fortunately, and though my investment income has been halved....my career in Network Services is seeing robust growth.

Well you got me curious, what exactly do you do.

BTW all that free stuff in Shanghai would cost about 15 dollars American :D. My buddy lives in Thailand and has a driver that cost him 2 bucks a day or some ridiculously low amount like that.

:biggrin: I know, but actually, Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong, etc are all very expensive cities. Shanghai, especially, is a very safe city with heavy European influences. Some of my friends just recently took the plunge and really enjoy it.

I'm a nuke phycisist/engineer. Some power utilities employ us (the ones that do their own analyses and don't subcontract out), but most work for GE, Westinghouse, or Areva. Not a glamorous high-paying job unless you decide to be a road-warrior contractor, but it's steady, stress-free, and I basically only work four 9.5-hour days per week.

FYI - Westinghouse nuclear currently has about 300 positions open, Areva about 200, and architect/engineers like Shaw, Stone-Webster, etc have a bunch too. They need nuke, electrical, mechanical, HVAC, civil engineers like crazy.

Dave

Made in Germany

Attachments

• sham wow.jpg
    sham wow.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 22
i have barely noticed that the economy is going down the drain. i am in industrial grade waterproofing and restoration. these companies that owns these large buildings are repairing old, leaky buildings rather than building new ones. we have actually got a few multi million jobs back to back to back and that has never happened. so, yes industrial grade waterproofing and building restoration is doing great.

The Video Game company I am working at seems to be doing well. Many video game companys are going under but the good part is that now only the really good Game Dev are the ones with jobs. Looks like the free ride for idiots who I always thought had no talent is over. I hated to so some fool who did nothing all day make 95k a year some even more. I was like why is this fool who does NOTHING make that much money. Don't get me wrong I hate to see people lose there job but when you are doing the work of 3 people because they suck and they make this much money you feel riped off.

I work for Cybernetics, a SAN manufacturer who brings enterprise class storage performance/features to the SMB market (really inexpensive prices; usually 80% less than our competition).

Companies still need lots of storage so we're in a great position. We also give customers the ability to say "bye-bye" to their backup and replication software, which gives them another level of savings.

At night, I run a Geodomain (www.virginiabeach.com). My traffic has picked up by almost 100% over last year. I'm really curious to see what 2009 is like from a travel perspective.

Steve

Back