• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who would be dumb enough to ask ME to write a letter of recomendation?

I received an email from one of our pilots to write him a letter of recommendation. Problem is I have no idea who he is and don't remember him at all. So here is the first draft....

Capt. Xxxxxx Xxxxxx, Chief Pilot
Xxxxxxxxxx Air, LLC
XXX Xxxxxxxx XXXX
Xxxxxxxx, XX XXXXX

Dear Captain Xxxxxxxxx,

It is a pleasure to recommend to you, my good friend, Martin XXXXX. Over the past seven years, I have flown with Martin on numerous occasions. From this experience, I can tell you that Martin is a fine pilot. During short overnights, he always reminded me to pay cash at the bar so not to leave a paper trail. He is extremely generous and always shared his Altoid mints before passing through TSA security in the mornings. He wasn't ever afraid to tell me when I left my fly open and always instinctively knew to consult me in the morning to get our stories straight before submitting the ASAP report. Martin was always considerate during flight and wouldn't wake me up until it was time to put the gear down or when something caught on fire. Always a loyal coworker, he never ratted me out when he saw me sneaking out of Ready Reserves two hours early or emptying the liquor kit into my rollerboard. And when Crew Scheduling asked for the Captain, he promptly would reply "haven't seen him and have no idea where he is".

In closing, Martin Xxxxxxx is truly a stand-out among his peers and I feel he will make a wonderful addition to your team at Xxxxxxx Air. I give him my highest recommendation.

Sincerely,

Xxxxxxx Xxxxxxxx
Captain
Xxxxxxx Airlines

Last edited:
One comment you forgot: He always says, "I'll take the ugly one." :smile:

James have you considered flying for Emirates? I have a close buddy who's now Captain if you are keen for submitting your CV...

Emirates is recruiting at the moment.

James have you considered flying for Emirates? I have a close buddy who's now Captain if you are keen for submitting your CV...

Emirates is recruiting at the moment.

I don't think they would hire a Jew. :biggrin:

Not to mention I have heard that EK has gone from a great place to work to a sh*thole who treats their pilots like crap in the last 8 months. I guess they are extremely short and to save money they have been abusing the pilots instead of staffing correctly. I was told that the exodus has begun at EK in droves further exacerbating the problem and management just tells everyone to work harder.

Last edited:
I received an email from one of our pilots to write him a letter of recommendation. Problem is I have no idea who he is and don't remember him at all. So here is the first draft....

Capt. Xxxxxx Xxxxxx, Chief Pilot
Xxxxxxxxxx Air, LLC
XXX Xxxxxxxx XXXX
Xxxxxxxx, XX XXXXX

Dear Captain Xxxxxxxxx,

It is a pleasure to recommend to you, my good friend, Martin XXXXX. Over the past seven years, I have flown with Martin on numerous occasions. From this experience, I can tell you that Martin is a fine pilot. During short overnights, he always reminded me to pay cash at the bar so not to leave a paper trail. He is extremely generous and always shared his Altoid mints before passing through TSA security in the mornings. He wasn't ever afraid to tell me when I left my fly open and always instinctively knew to consult me in the morning to get our stories straight before submitting the ASAP report. Martin was always considerate during flight and wouldn't wake me up until it was time to put the gear down or when something caught on fire. Always a loyal coworker, he never ratted me out when he saw me sneaking out of Ready Reserves two hours early or emptying the liquor kit into my rollerboard. And when Crew Scheduling asked for the Captain, he promptly would reply "haven't seen him and have no idea where he is".

In closing, Martin Xxxxxxx is truly a stand-out among his peers and I feel he will make a wonderful addition to your team at Xxxxxxx Air. I give him my highest recommendation.

Sincerely,

Xxxxxxx Xxxxxxxx
Captain
Xxxxxxx Airlines

Those are the qualities they look for right?

Hey can you write me a recommendation? I'm not sure for what yet, I'm thinking either for Prime Off Topic Guy of the Year or the Congressional Medal of Honor. Whatever it is, it couldn't hurt to preemptively be recommended for something.

You for got to mention his excelent landings in the C172 he has all his time in.

At one time we were hiring girls with 300 hrs, higher time for guys. But they have all been long ago furloughed. Now our most Jr FO is around 4+ years with well over 3000+ hrs. As of June almost a quarter of the FOs will have been former CAs at the airline who were downgraded. We now have so many FOs quit in the last couple of months that they are downgrading another 62 CAs next month because they don't have the FOs to staff the airline. And the University of Phoenix Online MBAs in management figured it was cheaper to downgrade CAs and park airplanes that we can't staff than to bring back the furloughs. Furloughs aren't current and have to go through the "long" program (30 days) vs downgrades only require the "short" program (7 days). Shrink the airline to unprofitability! :confused: By the end of the year every FO will be a former CA and all CAs and FOs will be at the top of their respective longevity pay scales as the most Jr CA will be 18+ years and the most Jr FO will be 14+ years (but the FO scale tops out at $48/hr year 6).

That's why I took the early out program and my last day is this summer.

Done flying.

BTW: Delta bought the airline in 2000 for $2 billion dollars and have run it into the ground, now they couldn't even find a buyer. At one time we had 200 planes and over 2000 pilots. By the end of the year it will be 44 airplanes and 500 pilots.

Last edited:
At one time we were hiring girls with 300 hrs, higher time for guys. But they have all been long ago furloughed. Now our most Jr FO is around 4+ years with well over 3000+ hrs. As of June almost a quarter of the FOs will have been former CAs at the airline who were downgraded. We now have so many FOs quit in the last couple of months that they are downgrading another 62 CAs next month because they don't have the FOs to staff the airline. And the University of Phoenix Online MBAs in management figured it was cheaper to downgrade CAs and park airplanes that we can't staff than to bring back the furloughs. Furloughs aren't current and have to go through the "long" program (30 days) vs downgrades only require the "short" program (7 days). Shrink the airline to unprofitability! :confused: By the end of the year every FO will be a former CA and all CAs and FOs will be at the top of their respective longevity pay scales as the most Jr CA will be 18+ years and the most Jr FO will be 14+ years (but the FO scale tops out at $48/hr year 6).

That's why I took the early out program and my last day is this summer.

Done flying.

BTW: Delta bought the airline in 2000 for $2 billion dollars and have run it into the ground, now they couldn't even find a buyer. At one time we had 200 planes and over 2000 pilots. By the end of the year it will be 44 airplanes and 500 pilots.

Yep, and now I have to fly American thru Chicago to go to MSP (or thru Atlanta to go to MN, makes sense huh?...used to be Comair affordable non stop 2 hour flight.....now an all day excursion to fly somewhere!

Back