• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

why asians can't drive

kitty said:
Have yet to find a pair that will allow me to read and find the following quote funny. "I think that reputation isn't completely unfounded. When asians were still getting their foundations settled decades ago, they didn't have a whole lot of extra $ for optometry. It's a well established fact asian people just don't see as well as many other races, very few don't need glasses/contacts at an early age. I'd instantly trade my good vision for better math skills [also not unfounded]. 90% of my friends, and my last 3 girl friends, were all asian btw. However, 'they' are as good as anyone when they have adaquate vision assistance."

And I'm in the business of prescribing glasses to help people see better.

Perhaps, he has foot-in-mouth disease that somehow manifested to his fingers while typing. Can this be cured?

I hope he is not related to my 8th and 9th grade math teacher, Mr. Hester!

Kitty

Haha. As long as we're stereotyping here...you have to forgive him. He's just a clueless guy from Texas. When I visited Texas, someone thought I was Yao Ming (I'm a 6'3" Chinese guy).

It was a summerization from an article a guy wrote in a college class of mine. I should have noted that since people would probably take it seriously, although the original author was vietnamize and believed this.

I can't say I don't know many asian people, my last 3 girl friend's were asian, and I speak Manderin Chinese fluently.

sahtt said:
It was a summerization from an article a guy wrote in a college class of mine. I should have noted that since people would probably take it seriously, although the original author was vietnamize and believed this.

I can't say I don't know many asian people, my last 3 girl friend's were asian, and I speak Manderin Chinese fluently.

I'm sure glad your Mandarin Chinese is fluent because your English isn't that great. Not to nitpick too much, but:

"summerization" --> "summarization"
"vietnamize" --> "Vietnamese"
"Manderin" --> "Mandarin"
"girl friend's" --> "girlfriends"

Spelling has been a recent pet peeve of mine. Lately, I feel like I'm losing my ability to spell correctly. It's probably because I've been spending too much time on the forums reading posts with horrible misspelling of words.

What does it matter that your last three girlfriends were Asian? Do all of you believe that summarization? Or was that supposed to be a joke? I am confused here :confused:.

Psychobiology said:
Haha. As long as we're stereotyping here...you have to forgive him. He's just a clueless guy from Texas. When I visited Texas, someone thought I was Yao Ming (I'm a 6'3" Chinese guy).

Quite apropos. I wonder if my Texas cousin, who is your height and also Chinese, ever get that comment.

sahtt said:

Thought you had stated that 90% of your friends are Asian. Guess that depends on the number.

Would love to see the sources your Vietnamese classmate used to obtain the data or information for his/her paper.

Psychobiology said:
Spelling has been a recent pet peeve of mine.

Psychobiology,

Your sentence is written with a passive voice and would read better in an active voice.

It should read "Spelling is a recent pet peeve of mine". :wink: :smile: :tongue:

Coulnd't risist the oportunety. :biggrin:

mickeylex said:
Psychobiology,

Your sentence is written with a passive voice and would read better in an active voice.

It should read "Spelling is a recent pet peeve of mine". :wink: :smile: :tongue:

Coulnd't risist the oportunety. :biggrin:

Hahaha! Touche! However, there's nothing technically wrong with passive voice though :wink:.

splitz said:
I am asian and I thought it was a riot.

conanchan0qm.gif

sahtt said:
...90% of my friends, and my last 3 girl friends...

i thought he meant 90% of his friends = his last 3 girl friends.

ops, i guess i wasn't seeing clearly.

I suppose I should concentrate more on my grammar and spelling to appease you Psychobiology. After you work a 6-6, much of which is spend walking from structure to structure in the TX heat, then work on a car for 4 hours, we'll have a spelling B to end all spelling B's. I work a lot of hours and save my rhetoric skills for when they are needed most. I'm not a fantastic speller to begin with and the problem has probably worsened with my frequent use of spell check, although the type on NSXprime is bothersome to me.

I am embarrassed to have misspelled Mandarin, only because I speak the language and often do so. Throughout 3 years of it in college, the only times I actually spell the word 'Mandarin' is once a semester when I register for classes or when I update my resume. My apologies, 'dui bu qi'.

I could spend a lifetime criticizing the grammatical structure of posts on any forum, but the obscene ones [including some I did] bother me as well. I usually don't get on the forums until fairly late at night when I'm trying to relax.

90% of my friends are asian, last 3 girlfriends were asian as well. Trying to get across I'm not a completely uncultured farmer from Texas who couldn't tell the difference between SK and SV on a map. Then again, I figure there is nothing inherently wrong with that either. Anyhow, happy driving..

sahtt said:
and I speak Manderin Chinese fluently.
Somehow I find it very hard to believe that you speak Mandarin fluently. For someone who actually put in so much effort to learn a language to become "fluent", one must have had quite decent understanding of that culture and perhaps are somewhat of an intellect. Your absurd statement clearly tells me that you are clueless regarding the Chinese culture and vision. In school, I've learned that certain ethnic groups have much higher prevalence of certain diseases such as cystic fibrosis, sickle cells, Tay-Sach, and etc. But never in my entire education and career that had I heard that Asian had poor eye sights. Maybe your 3 Asian girlfriend were totally blinded by your stunning good look and charming personality?:tongue:
Steve

sahtt said:
I suppose I should concentrate more on my grammar and spelling to appease you Psychobiology. After you work a 6-6, much of which is spend walking from structure to structure in the TX heat, then work on a car for 4 hours, we'll have a spelling B to end all spelling B's. I work a lot of hours and save my rhetoric skills for when they are needed most. I'm not a fantastic speller to begin with and the problem has probably worsened with my frequent use of spell check, although the type on NSXprime is bothersome to me.

I am embarrassed to have misspelled Mandarin, only because I speak the language and often do so. Throughout 3 years of it in college, the only times I actually spell the word 'Mandarin' is once a semester when I register for classes or when I update my resume. My apologies, 'dui bu qi'.

I could spend a lifetime criticizing the grammatical structure of posts on any forum, but the obscene ones [including some I did] bother me as well. I usually don't get on the forums until fairly late at night when I'm trying to relax.

90% of my friends are asian, last 3 girlfriends were asian as well. Trying to get across I'm not a completely uncultured farmer from Texas who couldn't tell the difference between SK and SV on a map. Then again, I figure there is nothing inherently wrong with that either. Anyhow, happy driving..

My whole point regarding the spelling and grammar was to provide further evidence to discredit your completely absurd statement. It really doesn't bother me that much. All of us make mistakes in the English language (it IS an art after all). I consider myself really bad at the English language.

You still didn't answer my question though. Do you sincerely believe what you posted? If you do, how did your Asian girlfriends put up with you? They must not speak English very well, or they didn't understand your Mandarin. Does it make you feel superior to say things like that?

I'm sorry, but your statement was ludicrous and insulting. I'm tired of clueless people making completely erroneous statements that insult a culture.

sahtt said:

90% of my friends are asian, last 3 girlfriends were asian as well. Trying to get across I'm not a completely uncultured
farmer from Texas who couldn't tell the difference between SK and SV on a map. Then again, I figure there is nothing inherently wrong with that either. Anyhow, happy driving..

uh, your "dui bu qi" and 3 years of college may work with you asian ex-girlfriends, but that doesn't make you fluent in 'Mandarin'.

Mandarin is the official Chinese spoken language, and when you say asian friends and asian ex-girlfriends, it does not only include Chinese. For all I know, maybe out of the 90% of your friends that are asian are Vietnamese, Cambodian, Korean, and you speak fluent Mandarin with them and it make perfect sense.

OK enough bitching....so get this...my neighbor comes over and says to me "You want fence?....you want fence because we loud Vietnamese!!...we split fence with you ok?...ok"...No joke she actually said that to me..and I never complained about them being loud or Vietnamese!!:smile:

zahntech said:
"You want fence?....you want fence because we loud Vietnamese!!...:smile:

You want beef? :smile:
In case no one knows what I'm talking about:
http://www.funlol.com/funpages/you-want-beef.html

I guess the asians in that video see diffeently too. Waddya know, I guess everyone sees things differently.

Edit:Sorry, forgot about the language! May not be safe for work, but great for laughs.

Last edited:
Zuerst said:
Just curious, where did this asians can't drive thing came from anyways?

I couldn't tell you, but I can think of three off the top of my head (Andrie, Kenji and Ken) that can drive the wheels off of any car they get behind the wheel of.:biggrin: (whoops, bad english ending the sentence that way!:rolleyes: )

BTW, great avatar pic, Zuest! I have a soft spot for animals, and the expression on that dog's face says an thousand words!

So, here is a joke for you...

A Chinese guy, a Japanese guy and a Korean guy are all driving in a car....

...ok....just kidding. :biggrin:

Hey all, it's Friday; time to lighten up, think about Saturday and all of the fun you will have driving your NSX this weekend. :smile:

mickeylex said:
So, here is a joke for you...

A Chinese guy, a Japanese guy and a Korean guy are all driving in a car....

The Chinese guy in the backseat looks at the Japanese guy sitting next to him and says, "Wow this is a smooth ride."

The Japanese guy leans forward and taps the Korean guy on the shoulder and says, "This is a smooth ride."

Puzzled, the Korean guy turns to his left and says to the white guy in the driver's seat, "thanks for driving."

Yes, I'm asian too. :biggrin:

Back