• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why can't we make the NSX sound like this???

In addition, LFA had 10 individually controlled throttle bodies, a surge tank on the intake and titanium valves and con rods. Gen 1 NSX had some of the similar hardware found on LFA whereas gen 2 NSX has exhaust choked by a pair of turbos and an engine that short shifts in some gears when left in auto mode even under WOT.

It sounds like we need an HD recording of the LFA exhaust to blast on the amplified speaker that needs to be strapped underneath the NSX. 👍

I tried to get as close as possible with the C30 engine as documented in this thread:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/138291-Active-NSX-Exhaust-System/page2?p=1332941&viewfull=1#post1332941

Links and photos are dead now, but the LFA's exhaust acoustic signature I was using as a reference is:
View attachment 163150

Pages 1 and 3 of the link below had some crappy videos inside and outside:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/146915-NSX-F1-Exhaust-Can-Be-Done!?

Eight years later and now the materials I'm using are titanium. The quiet mode goes through a catalytic converter and a OEM-quiet 18lb muffler while loud mode bypasses the cat and sounds like a beast. I loose about 5WHP because of the restriction required for sound, but the wail is worth it!

That sounds awesome. I've read and listened to some of the videos of exhausts for the 2nd gen but none of them have sounded that great (might just be the videos). I'm not one that would normally pay for an exhaust but if someone could create anything close to that LFA sound.....$$$

That beautiful sound will cost you about $800K.... Not such a great looking car, but certainly in the running for the best sounding street car on the planet. It will do 0-60 in 3.6. My NSX will do 2.9. A performance bargain......

That beautiful sound will cost you about $800K.... Not such a great looking car, but certainly in the running for the best sounding street car on the planet. It will do 0-60 in 3.6. My NSX will do 2.9. A performance bargain......

A standard LFA can still be hand for under $400k with a few miles (sub-5,000).

The $800k+ prices you're referring to are only applicable to the Nurburgring package cars, of which only 50 were produced (out of 500 total LFA).

Local Lexus dealer still has their LFA in their showroom. Been there for years. Never titled. No idea how many miles are on it. Standard car; no 'Ring pkg.

I was in there a few months ago, and the salesman told me they recently received an offer of $500K for it, and the dealer owner refused.

No idea what the owner is waiting for...

Local Lexus dealer still has their LFA in their showroom. Been there for years. Never titled. No idea how many miles are on it. Standard car; no 'Ring pkg.

I was in there a few months ago, and the salesman told me they recently received an offer of $500K for it, and the dealer owner refused.

No idea what the owner is waiting for...

Yes, many LFA were kept by Lexus dealer owners, never titled, and driven sparingly or quite a lot depending on the dealer. The frequent news stories of "unsold" LFAs are actually cars that have been retained by the dealer owner since new, and never titled simply to avoid unnecessary sales tax when the car can be driven on a dealer plate.

The owner is likely not waiting for anything, he/she just knows that if they take the car out of their listed "inventory," they legally will be liable to pay sales and/or use taxes on it. So, they keep it listed as for sale on the website at a crazy price despite having no real intention of selling.

My S2000 was "unsold" for 17 years. When it did get sold, I got a pretty good deal on such an old car. :cool: I still have the untouched NVIS. The NSX was in inventory for about about 8 years. It wasn't new, so didn't bother running a dealer plate on it. The car gets enough attention around here, without adding another reason to stand out.

That example proves my point. That's also at WOT. It's much slower during the typical daily slog

Here's a PDK of the same era. Mind you... this is a slower analog gauge vs. the much faster LFA digital gauge. The PDK is still noticeably faster shifting.
https://youtu.be/XEd22OqOiKM

Comparing a single-clutch transmission to the fastest & best dual-clutch in existence doesn't really make much sense. Nobody was doing a dual-clutch in 2010 at a 550+ horsepower level.

The LFA directly competed with cars like the Ferrari 599 GTO, Murcielago SV, and Aston Martin DBS, none of which had a dual-clutch either, and the latter two of which had transmissions which were significantly less quick than the LFA in terms of engagement, etc.

Ultimately, the single-clutch cars of this era have their own "character," and one has to know how to drive them to get the best out of the car. But, knowing many LFA owners and having talked to each of them about the car versus other supercars in their collection, the gearbox is not an issue as it is made out to be on the internet amongst those who have never driven one, or driven one a single time for a magazine review.

Comparing a single-clutch transmission to the fastest & best dual-clutch in existence doesn't really make much sense. Nobody was doing a dual-clutch in 2010 at a 550+ horsepower level.

The LFA directly competed with cars like the Ferrari 599 GTO, Murcielago SV, and Aston Martin DBS, none of which had a dual-clutch either, and the latter two of which had transmissions which were significantly less quick than the LFA in terms of engagement, etc.

Ultimately, the single-clutch cars of this era have their own "character," and one has to know how to drive them to get the best out of the car. But, knowing many LFA owners and having talked to each of them about the car versus other supercars in their collection, the gearbox is not an issue as it is made out to be on the internet amongst those who have never driven one, or driven one a single time for a magazine review.

I know you have a vested interest in selling LFAs so can hardly consider yours an unbiased opinion.

That video I posted is of a 2013 911 pdk. You've sold a lot of Porsches... You already know this.

Again love the LFA but the tranny could have been better esp considering the competition of it's era.

I'm friends with a couple of former LFA owners. One of them is here in nsxprime.

I know you have a vested interest in selling LFAs so can hardly consider yours an unbiased opinion.

That video I posted is of a 2013 911 pdk. You've sold a lot of Porsches... You already know this.

Again love the LFA but the tranny could have been better esp considering the competition of it's era.

I'm friends with a couple of former LFA owners. One of them is here in nsxprime.

I know, the PDK was the fastest & best at that time as well.

I'm not under the illusion that posting my opinions on the LFA in the 2nd-gen NSX forum is somehow going to result in me selling one. I just feel strongly about the topic, so I'm sharing my opinion.

Last edited:
I love the single clutch gearbox in my LFA! Way more entertaining than the dual clutch I had on my Porsche which was like an automatic. The single clutch in the LFA is like a regular 6 speed manual, but eliminates the left leg push and right arm movement, sort of like a lazy man’s manual. It behaves the same way so it is senseless to compare it to a dual clutch as in my experience it compares much more closely to a 6 speed manual, which to me is far more engaging than the newer dual clutch trannys. And if you want, it can be extremely fast when selected into its quickest setting.

I love the single clutch gearbox in my LFA! Way more entertaining than the dual clutch I had on my Porsche which was like an automatic. The single clutch in the LFA is like a regular 6 speed manual, but eliminates the left leg push and right arm movement, sort of like a lazy man’s manual. It behaves the same way so it is senseless to compare it to a dual clutch as in my experience it compares much more closely to a 6 speed manual, which to me is far more engaging than the newer dual clutch trannys. And if you want, it can be extremely fast when selected into its quickest setting.

Always nice to settle the debate with actual owner feedback.

The LFA might have been forgotten but not his engine/exhaust sound. For me, it's the best sound on any road car ever so far. I could listen to it all day long. No way to match it.

Back