• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why I live in S. California

Born and raised in Washington/Oregon, I migrated south til I found myself in a desert community east of Los Angeles (about 15 years ago). Regardless of the negatives, you've got to love the winters here. Although its raining today (intended to post photo this weekend, but Prime was down), this weekend was beautiful.

The following picture was taken this last Saturday, February 28, 2004. The temperature was in the low to mid-60's. I got sunburned (I burn easily).

Skiing/Snowboarding is about 40 minutes away. (Note snow in mountains)

Wish you were here.

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,761
RoNSX said:
The temperature was in the low to mid-60's.
Same as in Chicago this weekend. :p Too bad I was supposed to be at a track event in Virginia that was cancelled due to snow there. :eek:

RoNSX said:
Wish you were here.
There are lots of things that are better in one place than another. California has great weather, nice scenery, and great driving roads. California also has things that are not advantages - things like housing prices, income taxes, traffic, and car registration fees (even before their on-again-off-again tripling) come to mind. The secret of enjoying life in a particular place is finding a place where the advantages are the things you care about most. Glad to hear that you like living where you do.

nsxtasy said:
California also has things that are not advantages - things like housing prices

It depends on how you look at it. The cost of living adjustment (COLA) I receive for working in SoCal more than compensates for the higher interest payments and taxes.

I make 1/3 the income of my uncle in CA, and he has to rent a house that would barely pass for a college campus shack, while I own a brand new 1700 sq ft home with a 1000 sq ft attatched garage on a 1/2 acre lot in a new subdivision, minutes from every store you can think of, and zero crime. I would have to make 7 figures to find this in CA, and that chance is slim to none! :D

nsxtasy said:

There are lots of things that are better in one place than another. California has great weather, nice scenery, and great driving roads.

The girls. You forgot about the beautiful girls!
Unfortunately, most are in San Diego.
Sucks for me. :(

I've lived in San Diego and in LA. It does seem like there is a greater abundance of women (in general) down in SD... strangely, that is one of the first things I noticed... actually, I met the girl of my dreams in San Diego.

T Bell said:
I make 1/3 the income of my uncle in CA, and he has to rent a house that would barely pass for a college campus shack, while I own a brand new 1700 sq ft home with a 1000 sq ft attatched garage on a 1/2 acre lot in a new subdivision, minutes from every store you can think of, and zero crime. I would have to make 7 figures to find this in CA, and that chance is slim to none! :D

Califonia is a big place with a lot of areas with lower cost and low crime. The county I live in has a little over 30,000 people in it; the whole county!!!:) :) :)

pic

RoNSX,
Where was that pic taken, it looks like it was at inspiration point on the hills of Redlands.

Paul

nsxtasy said:
Same as in Chicago this weekend. :p Too bad I was supposed to be at a track event in Virginia that was cancelled due to snow there. :eek:

There are lots of things that are better in one place than another. California has great weather, nice scenery, and great driving roads. California also has things that are not advantages - things like housing prices, income taxes, traffic, and car registration fees (even before their on-again-off-again tripling) come to mind. The secret of enjoying life in a particular place is finding a place where the advantages are the things you care about most. Glad to hear that you like living where you do.

Yes the housing cost are :eek: , but if you bought 3-5 years ago you would be :D ....My house value has almost doubled in just over 3 years:p ....Home equity is a beautiful thing...So it depends on how you look at it........There is also places here in So Cal that are still very affordable...It's not all SD and OC prices....
Also, income tax is not that bad and traffic is only bad at certain spots at certain times...but the taxes on gas and other things do suck...It's like they say I guess "we pay for the sunshine here in Cali"....but it's worth it!!!

BTW, Pro football in So Cal SUCKS!!!

Girls.....
nsxtasy said:
Yes, if you're married. Then they're everywhere. :D

Now, you hit that one right on the head:D
LOL

91 X said:
income tax is not that bad
They certainly are, by comparison with other states. State tax rates are posted on this website. The tax rate for the top bracket in California is 9.3 percent, and this bracket is applied at a relatively low income level ($39,133). This is higher than the top tax rate of 47 of the other 49 states, and the two exceptions - Montana and Vermont - start applying their top bracket at a considerably higher level. Nine states have no income tax on earned income, and most of the rest go no higher than 6 percent or so.

91 X said:
traffic is only bad at certain spots at certain times...
Based on my fairly frequent trips to California, I guess "certain spots" means the entire San Francisco Bay area and the entire Greater Los Angeles area, and "certain times" means 5 a.m. to midnight. :D

Last edited:
91 X said:
Yes the housing cost are :eek: , but if you bought 3-5 years ago you would be :D ....My house value has almost doubled in just over 3 years:p ....Home equity is a beautiful thing...So it depends on how you look at it........There is also places here in So Cal that are still very affordable...It's not all SD and OC prices....
Also, income tax is not that bad and traffic is only bad at certain spots at certain times...but the taxes on gas and other things do suck...It's like they say I guess "we pay for the sunshine here in Cali"....but it's worth it!!!

As someone who lives in an equally insane real estate area (NYC), I dont see it as a healthy trend at all. I guess for people who are personally profiting it seems awesome, but the market seems artificially inflated to me. Your value may have doubled, but so did everyone elses. If you decide to upgrade, you're looking at massive home costs which generally means massive real estate tax.

Everyone in NY/NJ thinks its great too when the house they bought for $200k in 1988 is now worth $700k just 16 years later. They think it's great, that is, until they see the $10k+/year real estate tax bill!

Personally, I don't know where this money is supposed to come from. How many people can really be in the market for 7 and 8 hundred thousand dollar 3 bedroom houses?

I'd rather see my money go a lot farther and see the prices stay below the $400k level; that's why I personally plan to relocate.

Plus, you dont realize how utterly idiotic the 3 tiered income tax of CA and NY is until you get away from it. I get a cost of living adjustment too, but there is NO WAY it compensates for the ACTUAL cost of living delta.

I'd bet money that "W"'s doesn't either. CA and NY have costs of living nearly double that of the rest of the United States. I've never seen a 100% COLA. The tax differential alone is easily 10% and then you have to add to that the fact that literally everything is more expensive: housing, insurance, goods and services, gas, sales tax - the list is endless. In no uncertain terms, if your COLA isnt matching the difference between your area and the national average, you're not breaking even.

As far as girls go, there are beautiful women everywhere! :D

spookyp said:
As someone who lives in an equally insane real estate area (NYC), I dont see it as a healthy trend at all. I guess for people who are personally profiting it seems awesome, but the market seems artificially inflated to me. Your value may have doubled, but so did everyone elses. If you decide to upgrade, you're looking at massive home costs which generally means massive real estate tax.

Everyone in NY/NJ thinks its great too when the house they bought for $200k in 1988 is now worth $700k just 16 years later. They think it's great, that is, until they see the $10k+/year real estate tax bill!

Actually, here in cali we are protected against raising property taxes by Prop. 13....If you bought a house for $400K and three years later it is worth over $700K, you still pay taxes based on what you bought it for....Thank God:D

income tax is not that bad

Yeah it is.

But college football RULES!!! (yes, I went to USC)

Actually, here in cali we are protected against raising property taxes by Prop. 13....

I'm crossing my fingers that Prop 13 never goes away.

and the entire Greater Los Angeles area, and "certain times" means 5 a.m. to midnight.

Not quite that bad all over LA, but I've certainly been in areas that have been bad during those hours. In the morning, I usually find I'm okay hitting the freeways before 7:30am or after 11am. In the evening, I stay off the freeways between 4pm and 8pm.

Throw in a little bit of rain and watch things quickly go from bad to worse.

For tomorrows AutoX at Hollywood Park it should be 75 degrees and blue skies. What could be better then 30+ NSX's getting together for bragging rights! SoCal is the place! :cool:

nsxtasy said:
Based on my fairly frequent trips to California, I guess "certain spots" means the entire San Francisco Bay area and the entire Greater Los Angeles area, and "certain times" means 5 a.m. to midnight. :D

LOL. But, it's not as bad as that really. Although I did hear that Los Angeles has 4 of the countries top 10 worst bottle necks, including the number 1 worst bottle neck: the 405/101 interchange. But even that is easily circumnavigated by a wiley motorist. Anytime that isn't morning rush (7:00am to about 10:00 am) it's fairly easy to get around in Los Angeles, unless you're talking about Beverly Hills (no freeways), or perhaps the LAX area. Downtown sux, too.

Back