• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Widest wheel with NEGATIVE offset?

Well I'm thinking about getting a set of wheels for the nsx. As far as wheel size, I was just wondering if most ppl get staggered setup. (i.e. 17s in front, 18s in back or whatnot) or do they stay with the same wheel diameter all around. I personally do not want to increase the overall diameter of the wheel b/c it ups the cost of tires and performance, however I do like wide. I am actually thinking about 18x10 in the back, but the only thing is I want some LIP. Minimum 3'' of lip on the rear. Does anyone know what is the most negative offset I can go on the rear and also the fronts as well? Your input is appreciated!

Eric

I just put on a set of WORK Termist TM-1s in 18/19. The rear is 19x10 with a +30 offset and ~3.4" lip. Here's some pictures. For more go to my other post:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51360

Side2.jpg

Side1.jpg

Is that just me, or the second picture made me think of those big bling bling SUV?? :)
Big expensive wheels, 7 inches wheel gap....
Where's the center cap, BTW??

As far a camber goes, it will NOT affect much as far as what will fit, BUT it will affect tire wear :eek: If you want low, get the H&R's (2 to 2.5 degrees) if you want a good avg drop, get the Eibach's (about 2 degrees)

Wheel width is NOT the issue, it is tire width. The most popular setup is a 17x8.0 +40 215-40-17 and 18x10.0 +40 265-35-18

There are wider tire choices, and also lower offsets for the 215 and 265, but the +40 gives some room for un-tried wheels in case a spacer is needed. The lowest that we usually go is a +35 with a 215 tire, and a +38 with the 265 tire. For every 10mm in tire width that is added, increase the offset by 5mm.

For more info, email or PM me
[email protected]

So most ppl do a staggered setup on the nsx eh? how does it feel having a smaller wheel in front w/ a bigger wheel in the back as opposed to all 17s around or all 18s around? Thanks

Eric

I want to get a set of Workmeisters S1 3 piece. I know they only come in 18s or bigger...if I get a set of them all in 18s, what size and offset would you recommend if all I care about is to get the most lip out of them as possible w/o having any modifications to fenders, adding spacers, etc.? I understand tire choice is a factor as well, and I plan on going w/ Eibach sprigns it'll give it about a 2 inch drop. Has anyone here used 18 inch wheels all around on their nsx? Thanks!

Eric

NSXDreamer2 said:
Is that just me, or the second picture made me think of those big bling bling SUV?? :)
Big expensive wheels, 7 inches wheel gap....
Where's the center cap, BTW??

The Centercap is black and its on there. :smile:

Oh and I like having the extra clearance, just in case I want to go up some curbs or do a mud run with my friends in their Jeeps. :eek:

mrturbo311 said:
I want to get a set of Workmeisters S1 3 piece. I know they only come in 18s or bigger...if I get a set of them all in 18s, what size and offset would you recommend if all I care about is to get the most lip out of them as possible w/o having any modifications to fenders, adding spacers, etc.? I understand tire choice is a factor as well, and I plan on going w/ Eibach sprigns it'll give it about a 2 inch drop. Has anyone here used 18 inch wheels all around on their nsx? Thanks!

Eric

If all you care about is lip and you have to have 18's then:
18x8 front with +35 offset
18x10 rear with +35 offset

Offsets are related to the width of the Rim. A rim for the front with a 8" wide should have an offset of +40 to +35 and shouldn't have any fitment issues with a 215 wide tire.

For the rear on a 10" wide rim you should be able to fit +40 to +35 without any problems and a 265 to 275 wide tire.

(you could go +30 offset on the rear, but the rim will stick out just slightly and run the risk of rubbing. . the benefit is you gain 5mm in lip size though).

mrturbo311 said:
So most ppl do a staggered setup on the nsx eh? how does it feel having a smaller wheel in front w/ a bigger wheel in the back as opposed to all 17s around or all 18s around? Thanks

Eric

Until 2002 the NSX came with a staggered setup from the factory (15/16 in 91-93 and 16/17 in 94-01).

RP-Motorsports said:
Wheel width is NOT the issue, it is tire width. The most popular setup is a 17x8.0 +40 215-40-17 and 18x10.0 +40 265-35-18

Someone posted an excel spreadsheet in this thread or a similar one where you plug in all your values and it determines if the wheels will rub. It says rubbing occurs near/above 347.5mm. Using the vaues above for the rears, we get 364.72. So I guess this spreadsheet might not be too accurate. I was just trying to figure out what tires to put on a set of rims that were given to me where the previous owner said they did rub. 295/35-18. I THINK they are a 48 offset, but I don't know how to read the stampings on the rims.

robr said:
Someone posted an excel spreadsheet in this thread or a similar one where you plug in all your values and it determines if the wheels will rub. It says rubbing occurs near/above 347.5mm. Using the vaues above for the rears, we get 364.72. So I guess this spreadsheet might not be too accurate. I was just trying to figure out what tires to put on a set of rims that were given to me where the previous owner said they did rub. 295/35-18. I THINK they are a 48 offset, but I don't know how to read the stampings on the rims.

They should NOT rub in the rear if a 48mm offset. We have successfully installed a 315 tire (19") in the back of an oem car at a +48mm offset.

Hey Robr,

The readings looks like it's a 40 offset. Usually on the back of wheels, they'll have either ET__ or IS__ indicating the offset. Here, the designation for the wheel reads 8x17 and E40, which is a 40 offset. The numbers on top should be the part number for the wheel.

Back