• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Will an Elise satisfy me?

My brother has an Elise. It is hard to get in, even harder to get out. If I had to drive it everyday, I am sure I will pull a muscle. My brother and I get cramps in the legs trying to get in and out of it. You better make sure you have two parking spots when you get out of the car in a parking lot. I can't get out of it without the door fully opened. Once I got in the car, it has more headroom than the NSX.
It is a loud car and very hard on your butt. He is having an oil leakage issue, a common problem in the Elise community. Check out the Elise forum and you will see all the problems. My brother said the problems and complaints on the forum are guaranteed yours as well.There is no armrest for two in the middle. Noway can I drive this car everyday. But it is a fun car .

The only way an Elise would satisfy me is if my "behind the wheel time" was limited to 15 minutes or less...It is the most uncomfortable piece of crap I've ever driven.

I bought it.

I bought a new chrome orange Elise. I'll pick it up in a few days and drive it home (about 6 hour trip). We will see.

Congrats Mike! Don't be a stranger to the forum and enjoy the ride.

Congrats Mike.

I think you'll like the Elise very much. I do.

I'm a big guy (5-11, 250) and the only problem I have is getting in-out with the roof on. But I mostly drive it when it's not raining anyway. When it is raining, I just fold my half of the roof back and reattach it when I'm in. A little inconvenient but no big deal.

For me, these minor inconveniences are more than offset by the sheer thrill of driving the car.

I've had no problems so far with the Elise either.

Last week I had one of the most memorable drives ever. I was travelling in the Elise (with the roof off) through the Pocono mountains. It was just after dusk, and the sky was a stormy dark blue. The roads were really nice and twisty too. The neat part was there were incredible lightning flashes that were at the top of the mountains but they lit up the sky. No rain where I was, just a fantastic lightshow. I had the stereo cranked up and had a amazing ride for about an hour.

Jim

Re: I bought it.

mikec said:
I bought a new chrome orange Elise. I'll pick it up in a few days and drive it home (about 6 hour trip). We will see.

Congrats Mike, please post some pics for us when you get a chance.

Last year I rented the Elise because I was very interested in purchasing one and since it was so small I knew I must test it out first, to see if this car would suit me. The Elise has a fast steering that reminds me of my Evo but the manual rack does take some effort at parking lot speeds. The reason that stopped me from purchasing one is because I cannot get in/out of the car with the top on. It is also very difficult with the top off. The elise is sort of like a motorcycle. Weekend fun :biggrin:

I was actually thinking of going with an Elise but went with my 02 nsx. I really had a tough time finding one with LSD. Perhaps it was only an option on 06's I do not know. I personally really like the Elise and hope you really enjoy the car :smile:

Re: I bought it.

gtr said:
...The reason that stopped me from purchasing one is because I cannot get in/out of the car with the top on. It is also very difficult with the top off. The elise is sort of like a motorcycle...

Yeah, I guess it's as close to a motorcycle than most cars, other than a Atom Ariel. :wink: Motorcycles can also be elemental, and in this respect, so is the Elise.

When the roof is off, I just step into the Elise and just slide down the seat. There's a nice ribbed aluminum panel that helps to keep your feet from sliding. After a few days, you learn where to hold-push to get in and out. As I said before, if a chubby 50 year old can do it, anyone should be able to do it. :tongue:

I guess it all depends how much you like the driving experience of a bare bones sports car. With the Elise, it's all about the dynamics of driving, shifting, steering, braking. It's so direct. With the NSX, I really had to find obscure roads (or the track) to fully enjoy the handling and performance. With the Elise, every drive can be exciting. The handling is better and more predictable than my NSX too.

Now, my NSX has become much more of a luxo GT cruiser. After I drive the Elise, the NSX feels big and ponderous. Don't get me wrong, I love the NSX, it's just fills a different need for me now.

Oh, you do need to wear driving shoes as the pedals are very close together. Again, no big deal. I would agree that an Elise as a daily driver would not be wise.

My experience in the Elise is also what prompted me to get a motorcycle. And it's not as comfortable, or as easy to get behind the controls, as the NSX either. :biggrin:

Jim

mikec said:
<snip>MikeC
i had an elise once (alright, a coupla times) when i was in my 20's, and i found the experience very satisfying. based on those experiences, i highly recommend Elise. of course, the years have gone by a bit now, so YMMV.

Back