• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Will the plane take off?

1 hr til they do this on mythbusters. I think it'll be inconclusive and will depend on how they interrupt the question.

Maybe theyll actually show it this time at least.

Rip off. Could have watched it any other time this week probably. Maybe it'll end up on youtube.

Don't come back to this thread if those morons say it won't take off.

I already know the answer and don't need mythbusters to explain it to me, but this is supposed to help me by only requiring me to post a link from now on instead of time consuming explanations.

Please, someone post the Youtube link once it becomes available. Then we can lock this damn thread.

Of course, there are still going to be the "true believers" out there who still think that the plane would not take off. Not even the Mythbusters episode will sway them.

It's over.

It's finally over.

The only thing they didn't mention was the indicated ground speed (speedometer) when the plane took off while on the belt. It would have been greater than the 25 mph the truck was moving. It should have been 25 plus the forward speed of the plane, relative to the ground (around 25), so 50 mph.

Coming next on mythbusters, a helicopter on a turntable.

Miner

The only thing they didn't mention was the indicated ground speed (speedometer) when the plane took off while on the belt. It would have been greater than the 25 mph the truck was moving. It should have been 25 plus the forward speed of the plane, relative to the ground (around 25), so 50 mph.

Miner

Airplanes don't have indiacated ground speed meters. They only have air speed indiacators.

Airplanes don't have indicated ground speed meters. They only have air speed indicators.
Slight correction if ya don't mind... :rolleyes:
Most general aviation airplanes don't have. Commercial jets do. It is a GPS ground speed. When I taxied the Jumbo Jet you could not tell how fast you were going on the ground by looking out the window. Heavy reliance on GPS ground speed for taxiing.

747-200
747inst.jpg

So does this mean this thread can finally be closed? Or is this just the beginning of a new post-war? :D

For the intelligent folks the debate has never been about the basics. We understand that the wheels are free moving and the plane will still move forward blah blah blah. Some of you are so proud of yourselves for understanding this 5th grade concept, think you "get it", and keep rambling on about the same crap.

The issue is in the wording.

First, if the wheel speed matches the ground speed at point of contact, it is by definition impossible for the plane to move forward.

Second, if the treadmill can accelerate exponentially and infinitely, it is theoretically possible to hold the plane back... preventing it from taking off... assuming that friction exists in this imaginary world.

Last edited:
Slight correction if ya don't mind... :rolleyes:
Most general aviation airplanes don't have. Commercial jets do. It is a GPS ground speed. When I taxied the Jumbo Jet you could not tell how fast you were going on the ground by looking out the window. Heavy reliance on GPS ground speed for taxiing.

747-200
747inst.jpg

cool, so if it is GPS then it measures the speed at all times or just when "the rubber hits the road" or runway in this case.

For the intelligent folks the debate has never been about the basics. We understand that the wheels are free moving and the plane will still move forward blah blah blah. There are a certain few here who think they "got it" and keep rambling on about the same crap. The issue is in the wording.

If by "ground speed" you are referring to the speed of the ground where the wheels touch the ground, then it is by definition impossible for the plane to take off. This is something no one could physically experiment on.. you'd need a treadmill that could accelerate infinitely

Thats exactly where I got hung up the first time. Glad the good people of prime straightened me out.

For the intelligent folks the debate has never been about the basics. We understand that the wheels are free moving and the plane will still move forward blah blah blah. Some of you are so proud of yourselves for understanding this 5th grade concept, think you "get it", and keep rambling on about the same crap.

The issue is in the wording.

So, enlighten us then, Einstein, since we're all so stupid.

First, if the wheel speed matches the ground speed at point of contact, it is by definition impossible for the plane to move forward.

You're exactly wrong. By definition, the plane IS moving forward if wheel speed is matching the ground speed. Did you mean wheel speed in the opposite direction of ground speed?

Second, if the treadmill can accelerate exponentially and infinitely, it is theoretically possible to hold the plane back... preventing it from taking off... assuming that friction exists in this imaginary world.

You're back into the weeds with the "chicken or the egg" argument. For the treadmill to move, there must be forward movement by the plane. If the plane's just sitting still, the wheels won't be rotating. As has been discussed ad nauseum, the plane is not powering the wheels like a car...the wheels rotate DUE TO the forward motion of the airplane, they do not CAUSE the forward motion of the airplane. So, there can really be no argument made that involves the treadmill "theoretically spinning up to infinity". That would mean that the plane is moving forward at a similar speed, since that is the only thing that causes the wheels to rotate, causing the treadmill to move backwards, and so on, and so on.......

There is no problem to solve in your interpretation of the question, because it requires the wheels to rotate without the plane moving forward. That is impossible.

cool, so if it is GPS then it measures the speed at all times or just when "the rubber hits the road" or runway in this case.

All the time..
So, if you are "Bucking a headwind" you will see the diff.

BTW: Never say "Bucking a headwind" on the PA.
ie:

Pilot: "Folks, we are going to be Bucking a headwind today."

Old lady passenger:
"What are they doing to that headwind? My word!"

Back