• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Windshield replacement cost?

How much is it to replace a wind sheild and should I do so before selling the nsx? Would you want to put in your own sound system or have the stock system replaced? Pro' and con's please.
mary

Re: wind sheild

getting the windsheild to replace it is the real deal.
if you can get one from a dealer thats not broke is a miracle.
and your insurance company sure as hell cant get it. but dont quote me on that one

as for putting in aftermarket Junk I say no.
most people want these cars all stock.
and when you go over a hack job by the DIYers its a mess.

when i got my 1st NSX I had to have the Alpine alarm removed, replace the hacked up wire harness behind the stereo and the used OEm radios on e-bay are all broken. dont do it after multiple radio's off ebay I just about gave up hope.

if you put in an aftermarket audio system your potential buyers are cut in half. the younger guys like that kinda thing so they can boom boom boom to lady gaga crap. the older guys like the crystal clear Bose system screaming Mozart all the way to the bank.

my 2 cents

Flame Suit On.

its really inexpensive,i just recently order a front windshield from a local glass co. for like $190 uninstall.

Shawn is right. When I look at NSX's for sale and see an aftermarket anything permanently fixed into the console, I just wonder how much it would cost to restore correctly, and what kind of hack job was done on the wiring. Who needs the headache when there are other cars in the world?

Shawn is right. When I look at NSX's for sale and see an aftermarket anything permanently fixed into the console, I just wonder how much it would cost to restore correctly, and what kind of hack job was done on the wiring. Who needs the headache when there are other cars in the world?

I think the stuff inside shouldnt matter. If the car came from a good guy who maintained it well thats better than oem stuff from a junk car. For ex, i cut my cig lighter power to power my gauges, didnt want to tap onto wires. Look at my car, the wires, how i ran them. Nothing is a hack job. Look at what shawn does to the cars, his builds are not from the factory but look pretty good, not a hack job imo.

The VIN number of your car is etched into the windshield; not just the viewing window in the corner (not exactly sure when that started but sometime around 95). If it's not cracked in the driver's or passenger's view then get the cracks stopped and leave the original window in there.

I think the stuff inside shouldnt matter. If the car came from a good guy who maintained it well thats better than oem stuff from a junk car. For ex, i cut my cig lighter power to power my gauges, didnt want to tap onto wires. Look at my car, the wires, how i ran them. Nothing is a hack job. Look at what shawn does to the cars, his builds are not from the factory but look pretty good, not a hack job imo.

Good point. If, say, I was looking to buy your car and had you standing there to vouch for changes made to it, that would be great, even make it more desireable. If, however, the same car was at a dealership with no one familiar with the history, that would make a difference. One would naturally be a bit more wary.

Plus I think a lot of people on here would love to have a Shawn-rebuilt car; I know I would.:biggrin:

I would get the windshield replaced and send the stereo amps to BrianK and have them repaired. If you want to sell a car quickly, the best thing to do is to have it turn key and ready to go.

I shake my head when I read For Sale ads with a laundry list of things that don't work or need attention. That just shows me that the owner doesn't really take good care of the vehicle. It also makes me wonder how many times they actually change the oil and other important maintenance.

Get the windshiled fixed and forget about it!

Things break...these are just cars ya know.

I'd much rather look through a clear aftermarket windshield that a pitted, cracked OEM windshield!

The VIN number of your car is etched into the windshield; not just the viewing window in the corner (not exactly sure when that started but sometime around 95). If it's not cracked in the driver's or passenger's view then get the cracks stopped and leave the original window in there.

Since when? I have a '97 Targa and the VIN damn sure isn't etched into any of the windows. Sounds like the original owner had it done at the dealer when he bought the car or someone blew $200 later on to have it done. Urban legend was that you got a 15% discount if you had the VIN etched into the windows when the truth of the matter is that (a) it depended on the insurance company & it was only 3-5%, not 15% and (b) if you already got a discount for having an alarm, they didn't give you squat.

Some aftermarket windshields (PPG?) had the VIN window built in, others did not. Believe there's already been multiple threads about this.

I take it only OEM will be at Dealerships with the exposed VIN in the black lower lining.
Most aftermarket windshields have a window to expose the VIN, as correctly noted in this post:

Since when? I have a '97 Targa and the VIN damn sure isn't etched into any of the windows. Sounds like the original owner had it done at the dealer when he bought the car or someone blew $200 later on to have it done. Urban legend was that you got a 15% discount if you had the VIN etched into the windows when the truth of the matter is that (a) it depended on the insurance company & it was only 3-5%, not 15% and (b) if you already got a discount for having an alarm, they didn't give you squat.

Some aftermarket windshields (PPG?) had the VIN window built in, others did not. Believe there's already been multiple threads about this.

How much is it to replace a wind sheild
Typical prices are $200 or so for an aftermarket windshield, $1000 for one from Acura.

should I do so before selling the nsx?
If it's cracked, yes. If it isn't, no (even if it has pits consistent with the mileage on the car).

My 2005 has the VINs on all of the windows including sides and back. Some people go crazy about having "all numbers in place".

windsheild in sac i have a guy 160 installed with new top molding he has replaced almost all my nsx windsheilds and its perfect the vin is attached to the upper part of the dash not the windsheild.

windsheild in sac i have a guy 160 installed with new top molding he has replaced almost all my nsx windsheilds and its perfect the vin is attached to the upper part of the dash not the windsheild.

Say what again:eek::confused:

The price for moldings and clips without any discount is:

Clips: $10.21
$200 molding
$65.98 molding

So he is providing you what excatly for $160?

I'm with Hrant on this. I really want to see what you're getting for $160. Can't be much. Hell, I paid $250+ for a new PPG windshield for a '95 Legend and a new molding set with clips is over $300

*EDIT* macninja, after reading your LBBP revival thread, I have an idea of how you're getting it so cheap. I stand corrected.:biggrin:

Last edited:
....and it's perfect, the vin is attached to the upper part of the dash not the windsheild.

There is also an extra one on the window itself. In the picture below the top VIN is on the dash and the one below it is on the black part of the windshield. The next picture is on the driver's door (mirrored on the passenger side), followed by the rear hatch (B-pillar and quarter panel visible).

IMG_6645.jpg

IMG_6647.jpg

IMG_6648.jpg

In the wiki it says that the 97 year model has heat absorbing glass instead of bronze.
Does this include windshield, if so is aftermarket also heat absorbing.

There is also an extra one on the window itself. In the picture below the top VIN is on the dash and the one below it is on the black part of the windshield. The next picture is on the driver's door (mirrored on the passenger side), followed by the rear hatch (B-pillar and quarter panel visible).

IMG_6645.jpg

IMG_6647.jpg

IMG_6648.jpg

As I said earlier, that VIN etching most assuredly is a dealer-added option. Reason I know is that I bought an '06 Civic when they first came out and the dealer tried to get me to take that as part of an "appearance package", touting it as "you'll get 15% off of your insurance premium." I called my State Farm agent and they literally started laughing so I told the dealer to forget it. Just another sales pitch to separate you from your hard-earned.

If you'll look at the Helm FSM, it shows all the VIN locations. The side windows aren't one of them.

I agree 100% , I'm still crying trying to restore the original head unit and the wiring.
previous owner really did a mess :frown:

Back