• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Windy City BBWCCA HPDE @ RA

RP-Motorsports said:
Looks like some crappy Sat morn weather, then it should be great track weather the rest of the weekend!
Not necessarily, although the forecast can still change and of course the weather can change during the course of the day (and, at RA, can even differ from one part of the track to another).

Current National Weather Service forecast for Elkhart Lake:

Friday: A 20 percent chance of rain after 3pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 52. Calm wind becoming east around 6 mph.

Friday Night: A 50 percent chance of rain. Cloudy, with a low near 36. North wind between 6 and 8 mph.

Saturday: A 40 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 51. Northwest wind between 8 and 15 mph.

Saturday Night: A chance of rain showers, mixing with snow after 9pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 34. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Sunday: A chance of rain and snow showers before noon, then a chance of rain showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 53. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

brahtw8 said:
Yes, their precipitation probabilities are lower, although they're not as detailed in their forecast for various times of day and chances of what might happen, etc. They just say "mostly cloudy" and leave it at that.

Any idea what they mean by "event conditions"? They call Saturday "4 Poor", and Friday and Sunday "7 Good", but I have no idea what they're referring to.

BTW, ever wonder what it means when they say that the chance of precipitation is such-and-such percent? Just yesterday I read this article about that...

Briank said:
The weather was good on Saturday, Sunday had on and off rain mixed with snow. No matter it was a great event :biggrin:

Nice meeting you Brian, glad you had fun and kept it safe! ;)

I had a great session on low boost on the second day, but I definitely have some kinks to work out on my car. I need to figure out a better way to deal with all the blowby I have, reroute my dipstick tube to somewhere a little less hot, and put some header wrap on my downpipe to keep some of that heat away from my oil pan.

Thanks Steve who had a hose clamp to save my last session on Saturday! :) (That was your hose clamp, right? I was too pissed off at my car to remember.)

Tom, nice drift angles you had coming up the hill after turn five in the rain :) You made for some fun spectating. I don't know what kinds of times you guys were running, or what times you had clocked me at on Saturday, but I had a couple of ~3:05 laps in my second session Sunday, with my low boost setting (230 WHP), and enough traffic on every lap to slow me down. I was happy with the way I was driving, besides getting held up in traffic and letting a Vette run away from me. :p

My instructor said I should be in a "more advanced" group at the end of the weekend. I don't know if that means group 3 experienced was more advanced than group 1, but I suppose that might make sense. There were a few really pokey cars in my session (5-series), and a bad driver or two.

He also mentioned I could carry more speed into turn 1... I think maybe 5 miles an hour or so, I was already entering at about 85 which seemed pretty hot to me. I suppose I wasn't taking full advantage of the camber on the inside.

I finally had a chance to use the asphalt on the OUTSIDE of the curbing at the exit of turn 1 :) :) That was pretty interesting. I came around a little hot and a little early, but I knew that asphalt was there, so I made a full throttle run for it!

No terribly interesting video this weekend, besides the snow, and me putting two wheels up in the air after putting two off on the inside of 7 (after recovering from a mistake at the entry).

Fun nonetheless-- a bad day at the track beats a good day at work. (!!!)

-Chris

edit: p.s. see sig, still applies ;)

RA was a blast! Being my first track event, I'm completely hooked now! :biggrin:

I met some really great people, and learned a ton about high performance driving. It was a joy to experience the NSX in the environment for which it was designed. Definitely will do it again.

Yes it was a nice turn out I counted six NSX's in the School. Weather was strange huh sun,rain,snow and sleet at times. Nice to meet a few new faces and hope everyone got home alright. Here are a few of my pics.

Last edited:
A few more.

Last edited:
Last three.

Last edited:
Was that Orange Lotus cracked up at the track? I saw an orange one on a flat bed on 43 heading south into Milwaukee this morning. It was WRECKED :eek:

Yes. The Elise was wrecked in the Advanced Group on Saturday. I have numerous pics, but haven't posted any.

A couple pics that have been floating around.
wOTA1NDQ5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wOTA1NDQ4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Yeah and he decided to crash right in front of me in group 1! :eek: (must have got spooked by the Honda product coming in his mirror) jk.

Yeah the weather was bad for some, but I loved it! I am sorta a freak on the track in the wet! (must be the rush that I get when I am 1 mph, and 1" from wrecking, but staying just on the safe side of that line! :wink: )

I was hitting 135 mph in the rain! :eek: <--- did I mention that I am a freak?

RP-Motorsports said:
Yeah and he decided to crash right in front of me in group 1! :eek: (must have got spooked by the Honda product coming in his mirror) jk.

Yeah the weather was bad for some, but I loved it! I am sorta a freak on the track in the wet! (must be the rush that I get when I am 1 mph, and 1" from wrecking, but staying just on the safe side of that line! :wink: )

I was hitting 135 mph in the rain! :eek: <--- did I mention that I am a freak?

Yeah, you were cracking me up. You should have seen yourself after driving that session in the rain. You looked like a kid on Christmas morning! :biggrin:

Sean Williams said:
Yeah, you were cracking me up. You should have seen yourself after driving that session in the rain. You looked like a kid on Christmas morning! :biggrin:

Yeah Tom, you were the only one that appeared to be consistently hanging it out in turn 5. :smile:

135, eh? I got to 115 once just to put some distance between me and a car I was passing. Other than that, I coasted around at 100 or so. On my video it looks like a regular Sunday drive. La la la la la...

-Chris

Back