• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Winter driving the NSX ?

Hello fellow Canadian owners,

I did a search on the forum to read a few threads about winter driving...

Threads do go back all the way to 2002, and I also read some owners did 30K+ miles in the snow (especially in the Prairies, which IMHO is "real" snow and "real" winter conditions !)

I'm still on the fence about driving the NSX sometimes, when weather is not too bad. Obviously I already have a good, AWD DD, but was afraid of :

1- SALT. I know that aluminium doesn't rust, but it can oxyde ? Should be more resistant than steel though, but would driving in the salt without washing under the car everytime leave some damage within a few years ? What about the non-aluminium parts ? Like rusted brake calipers, suspension struts, mufflers, headers...

2- TIRES. What sizes are you, hardcore Canadian NSXers, driving in the snow ? 195-55R15 in front with 205-55R16 in the back ? Obviously, narrower should be better for snow. What brands/models have you tried ? Was looking forward Michelin X-Ice2 or the new Toyo Observe model...

3- BEHAVIOUR. Any driving problem in normal, winter conditions ? Like the car getting very prone to snap-oversteer ? If so, have you found some adjustments that make the car more driveable ?

4- TEMPERATURE. Do you have a block heater ? Battery heater ? Spark plugs, coolant, or oil viscosities to change before driving at -10F ?

Lots of questions ! Hopefully I'll be able to add my own answers to this thread next year ! :smile:

Sorry, I only have one answer, don't drive it in the winter....You already have a AWD DD so stick with that car.

Bram

Why ?
To stay with the same logic, I shouldn't have bought an NSX at all, even for summer, since I already have a DD ?
I'm just looking forward to drive it certain days this winter because it is a fun car. Much more fun than my AWD DD. And I know that some members here do drive their NSX in the snow, so I'm waiting to read their answers... and make up my mind.

I personally don't know of anyone that drive their NSX during the Winter month. The ground clearance of the NSX is one of the biggest problem one would face with driving an NSX in the Snow.

I sure with a good set of Winter tires, you will be able to drive the car during the winter months, when not snowing. One issue that some folks complain about during the colder months, is the length of time the NSX take to warm-up.

One other thing to consider is the cost and availability of body panels for the NSX...most times it the other people around you that you have to worry about.

As far as oil, and plugs goes, you will be just fine by following the factory recommendation.

Bram

FWIW mine lives in my garage here in MI during the winter and since I am not a fan of shutting it down for an extended period of time (just my personal preference) it gets fired up every 3-4 days and weather permitting (meaning no snow on roads and little or no salt residue) I give it some exercise. Bram is right, I've noticed that the car does indeed take quite some time to warm up in cooler temperatures. Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that it has a 17 quart capacity cooling system. I bought my car in November /09 in Phoenix and drove it back to MI -- got caught in a snowstorm in the mountains in New Mexico and that was not a very pleasant experience. Admittedly I did not have a nice set of Blizzaks on the car but I'm not so sure that would have made the experience any more enjoyable. One thing I'd be a bit concerned about is the low ground clearance of the NSX if the snow is too high. In any event, best of luck should you drive yours in the winter!

Best,
Jeff

I personally don't know of anyone that drive their NSX during the Winter month. The ground clearance of the NSX is one of the biggest problem one would face with driving an NSX in the Snow.

I sure with a good set of Winter tires, you will be able to drive the car during the winter months, when not snowing. One issue that some folks complain about during the colder months, is the length of time the NSX take to warm-up.

One other thing to consider is the cost and availability of body panels for the NSX...most times it the other people around you that you have to worry about.

As far as oil, and plugs goes, you will be just fine by following the factory recommendation.

Bram
There are at least 2 Canadian members on this forum that I know in fact do drive in the winter.
With the right winter tire setup, and amazing weight distribution, it would be an awesome winter car.

A client friend of mine from Oakville drives 91 his all year and actually back in 96 he let me drive it for my birthday, and that was the first time I drove one. To this day he still drives it all year long without any issues. I don't know what tires he has on it, and NO he is not on this forum and most likely nobody here knows him - I believe he was one of the first to have one in Canada when he bought it new. I'll see if I can contact him and inquire, but I know when I saw it a couple years ago it was still mint.

After the first good snow fall I put mine in the garage on the battery tender. I wait until the snow and salt clear. It builds up the anticipation to drive her. I have no problem driving it in below freezing temps.

NSX2398 (Ian) is your reference on winter driving an NSX. He has done it for years in Regina SK. Ian also did an article in NSX Driver Magazine about his winter driving experiences.
I would think that with a CTSC and short gears, you will be testing the Traction Control constantly. Seeing how people in the GTA drive when it snows, it would be everyone else on the road that needs to be worried about.
Send Ian a PM.

Last edited:
Nothing bad will happen with the correct tires. Balance of the car should be great. When the snow gets deep however, you'll be plowing your own street. I'd leave it at home that day.

However, if you sell it and the buyer finds out, you'll be lowering your price to compete with the ones who were stored off season.

If that's not a concern, well go for it. You could go to Krown and have their salt remover sprayed over the undercarriage in the spring. Your car will be dirty, but it won't self destruct.

I will not drive a RWD car in the snow.

That's why I never shift a FWD into reverse in the snow... That's why there are no police cars in Canada during winter on the roads. That's why everybody drive beigemobiles like Camrys between November and April, just in case there may be a patch of ice somewhere.

Seriously, thanks people for your input. I'll PM the members that drive their car in the snow for more advice, to help me decide if it is worth it.

It looks by this threads that a lot of people consider driving on ice and snow more hardcore than tracking their NSXes ! Maybe it's because we live in igloos here in Canada, and not near the Nurburgring.

I didn't drive my really lowered 02 NSX in the winter almost solely because of the ride height.

But I can tell you that the S2000 I had before was an awesome winter car. I put blizzaks on it and it ruled the road in even the deepest if snow.

And I just put snow tires on my Porsche turbo. I can't wait for it to snow. The power in the white stuff is going to rock! It's going to be a loonnngggg winter for you guys!

Last edited:
I will not drive a RWD car in the snow.

RWD is just as capable if not better than AWD in the snow... when there is ice, no matter what the driving wheels are, nothing will help you.
I've owned one AWD car.. this will be year 2 with my 335i in the snow, and what a good winter car it has been!

Sorry .. been busy or I would have posted sooner. Lots of funny stuff on here and some seriously bad advice. As Warren has indicated .. and you've probably already found some of my previous posts .. I'm a 'hardcore' winter driver and have written about it a couple of times.

Typical misconceptions:
1. Ground clearance - my wife had the little Acura 1.6EL sedan for a while. Great little winter car. Turns out that the factory ground clearance on the NSX was GREATER than the 1.6EL. Don't let the low height fool you. Nearly all non-awd cars have roughly the same ground clearance. But to give myself a little extra (3/4"), I run 60 series tires in the winter. I've been in snow deep enough to be levelling it and haven't been stuck once.
2. RWD vehicles aren't good winter cars - consider this ...60% of the NSX weigh is over the driving wheels; it has a limited slip diff; it has traction control; it has ABS .. very few cars these days have all these kinds of winter-friendly technologies. It has better winter traction than any other vehicle I've owned in 40 years (never had awd though). See point #1 above .. never been stuck in 10 years of prairie winters.
3. Snap oversteer - maybe in the summer .. but I haven't come close in the winter. The traction control system won't allow it under power .. cuts the throttles if you even get close. Turning the TCS off does allow you to have some fun practising your drifting though:smile:
4. Warms up slower - sure, when it's -30, it's going to take the block a little longer to warm up .. maybe an extra couple of minutes. Hasn't affected my ability to leave the garage and head to work. Sure things are stiff for the first mile or two .. but no ill effects. Not worth worrying about.
5. Corrosion - I don't live in Ontario so the salts not as bad .. and fewer days near melting but corrosion hasn't been a major issue. Sure there are some pieces that are going to rust out sooner (typically exhaust components, battery holddowns) but my muffler is SS and has held up well .. same for brake rotors, etc. Don't plan on any DIY exhaust removal .. let the guy with the air ratchet do it.

The only prep I recommend is winter tires (mandatory) and check antifreeze to make sure it's a mix that will work down to whatever your low temp will be. Acura recommends 5w30 .. I've used both synthetic and non-synthetic down to -40 .. synthetic is probably easier on the car. I have a block heater but rarely use it. Never put thinner oil in the tranny .. but it can be a little stiff for the first few miles. I do block off the center air intake area because I used to do a lot of highway miles at very cold temps and didn't want to risk having the antifreeze gel. I can attest that the heater works fine on the highway at 100km/hr at -36C for 5 hours. Windows don't frost up. Best to let the speakers warm up before cranking them up. Trunk mounted cd changer works at cold temps but mine only lasted about 5 years IIRC before packing it in. Best to get some winter floormats to protect the factory ones. Power windows don't work that well .. but then they don't work that well in summer either. Best to get Hugo's window mod installed. I also bought a bra to protect from highway debris.

It's late and that's about all I can remember. I'm not suggesting that you'll be able to drive it like you can in the summer .. you'll definitely need to back off and drive it like other winter drivers. But you'll at least get to enjoy it regularly and won't have to worry about putting it on jackstands; putting on a charger; starting it every once in awhile; worry about seals drying out; etc.
The point about body panels becoming more rare is more of a concern now that when I started .. but my car isn't a garage queen and I'm not one of those who thinks the world would end if they get a rock chip or scratch so I may have a more cavalier attitude about these things.

Let me know if you want any more info. Glad to help. You sound pretty open minded .. which was the perspective I was taking 10 years ago. Unfortunately, no one had any experience at that point to help me.
Cheers.

JP - that's one thing to consider is that the NSX, because its U.S. Spec may not have the block heater.

So those cold Quebec winters might require it...?

well my wife is from Regina SK(not going to spell the province out) but I was by the Acura dealer in Feb. and there was a NSX in for schedule maintenance, the owner drives it every day with no problems. If you want to drive it I am sure the car can handle it.

Winter Driving in a NSX.

Have not been on the board recently so was pleased to see all the discussion about using your NSX in the winter in Canada.
To all those who put their NSX’s away for the winter. YOU ARE MISSING A LOT OF FUN.
First of all the cold heavy air gives a great power boost...
Second....when there has been a couple of inches of snow on a weekend it is great fun to go to a vacant office or industrial building parking lot and practice power sliding and correcting slides.

Rust.
Some years ago I owned a Miata bought it at 50K, kept it for 6years and sold it with 170K.
Whenever I put in gas in the winter I took it through the no touch car wash (so pretty much 3 to 4 times a month.)
There was absolutely no rust on the car when I sold it.
For the first two years I put my (91NSX) away in the winter and drove a Camry and was very disconsolate and bored the whole winter.
Then I reasoned that, the car will be worth somewhat less if I ever sell it but I could not wait through another winter. So have been driving it for the last 8 years through the winter, washing it every time I put in gas.
Only put on winter tires, have never had a problem, my commute is along the 407, but I use the car all the time on weekends, and even when I park in our work parking lot have never had any difficulty getting out after a snowfall.
I have never had a problem with handling, just leave a good distance between myself and all the idiots (mainly in SUVs) who believe the advertising about snow tires and 4 wheel drive making you invincible in the snow.
Have raced and rallied in my youth and now do some track days, so guess I have had the experience to not worry about controlling the car in the snow and ice.
For all those too nervous to drive in adverse conditions in a rear wheel drive car, go on some track days where they have skidpan training, and there are also winter driving courses and you will really enjoy your NSX much more.
The car does take a fairly long time to get warm, just keep your coat zipped up for a bit longer.
Bram, guess you forgot about me when you said you did not know anybody who drove their car in the winter, guess I will have to come over and show you how much fun it is with the extra power.

Guess all us winter drivers will have to start a new Forum on NSX Prime and have a get together sometime in February.

JP - that's one thing to consider is that the NSX, because its U.S. Spec may not have the block heater.

So those cold Quebec winters might require it...?
I didn't mention it but my car was a US car that I imported so it didn't have a block heater. Canadian cars may have them by default or as options.. don't know. I had my Canadian dealer put one it as a precaution. I've used it a few times but as I indicated above, I don't think it's really necessary unless you plan on leaving it outside often at very cold temps. Mine has sat outside overnight at -40 in Winnipeg several times without using the block heater and it never failed to start. Synthetic oil is definitely a plus at those temps .. and a good battery. A lot of other "winter cars" aren't that reliable.

Bram, guess you forgot about me when you said you did not know anybody who drove their car in the winter, guess I will have to come over and show you how much fun it is with the extra power.

I wouldn't look to Bram for winter driving advice. I think he puts his car away in late August :)

Back