• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wonder if my tax guy can write this off

a6cd8c89-4cbc-a013.jpg

Your night of fun could have paid for my college.... Twice.:frown:

Who the hell ordered, not one, but two BUD LIGHTS where there was a freaking magnum of Dom at the table? :confused::eek:

Who the hell gets table service and that much alcohol and then closes their tab at 11:56PM?

I knew I saw Charlie Sheen in Vegas that night......and he even left the party early!!!!!.....:biggrin:

There is even another line to add additional tip? Damn!!!:eek:

If this wasn't comp'ed someone needs to learn how to vegas :)

If this was paid out of pocket then mad respect to you since must have lots of $ to throw around :biggrin:

Check out the total. The tip is only added once. They do that here for some reason.

He wasn't saying the tip was added twice, he is saying there is a space to add additional tip on top of the already ridiculous mandatory tip included in the check. I.E. someone feels 29.5k just doesn't measure up for the service they received, so they throw a few thousand on top for good measure. :rolleyes:

Personally, seeing stuff like this makes me sick. I really hope anyone willing to throw this kinda coin around on personal indulgence does the same for charitable causes. While I get this is pocket change for some, it blows my mind people do things like this given the global events of the last few months.

Last edited:
He wasn't saying the tip was added twice, he is saying there is a space to add additional tip on top of the already ridiculous mandatory tip included in the check. I.E. someone feels 29.5k just doesn't measure up for the service they received, so they throw a few thousand on top for good measure. :rolleyes:

Personally, seeing stuff like this makes me sick. I really hope anyone willing to throw this kinda coin around on personal indulgence does the same for charitable causes. While I get this is pocket change for some, it blows my mind people do things like this given the global events of the last few months.

Of course. 20% is considered standard here in Vegas, but higher percentages are common and sometimes expected independent of the actual bill amount.

Think of it this way, if you had dinner at a nice restaurant and the service was exceptional, would it not be reasonable to give a 30% tip if you felt the service was good? So what’s the difference between 100 very nice meals or 1 really big one? Either way, if the service was very good, the tip should be paid accordingly. Chances are, it’s not just one guy banking nearly $30K, it probably took a team of people waiting on them for every second for the entire night. The same team of people that would have worked several other tables throughout the night for a similar net total.

Secondly, I’ll go out on a limb but I highly doubt this was just a group of friends drinking the night away. I’m pretty sure this was some sort of business or entertainment function and based on the number of drinks at least 40 people involved if not more. When my company does social events here, it’s not uncommon to rack up $100K+ bills for our customers. However, we aren’t in the business of spending money. These events have a purpose and a darn good one at that and justify their high expenses.

Thirdly, if this sort of thing makes you sick then I sure hope you aren’t invited to any weddings, funerals, birthday parties, bachelorette parties or bar mitzvahs among other things. Because just what do you think those are? Indulgent behavior? Spending huge sums of money and for what? Just to have a good time? Just to celebrate? Just to indulge in something? We do all sorts of things where we just spend large sums of money for the sake of just enjoying ourselves. And while events like this are somewhat uncommon, weddings, birthday parties etc. go on all the time and collectively “waste” (as you would put it) millions of more dollars than this event.

Finally, you mention charity. Well let’s examine what this is. Vegas, next to Detroit, was one of the hardest hit cities during this economic downturn. 14%+ unemployment, the highest foreclosure rate in the US, 60% decline in housing values, etc. etc. When someone spends like this do you know what I see? I see someone able to keep their job and pay their mortgage. I see hard working people earning their pay in exchange for goods and services so they can pay their bills. I see one less person on unemployment or one less foreclosure. Vegas relies on tourism. It is our ONLY industry. We NEED these types of expenditures or guess what? More unemployment, more foreclosures. So while you preach charity, how about giving people the chance to actually work and earn their income so they can stay in their homes. Just like Detroit NEEDS you to buy cars so they can stay in business, we need people to come and spend money gambling, shopping and partying. Because that is how we stay in business. And if people don’t, then I guess you’ll need to spend even more money on charity because you’ll have a lot more jobless and homeless people to contend with.

Of course. 20% is considered standard here in Vegas, but higher percentages are common and sometimes expected independent of the actual bill amount.

Think of it this way, if you had dinner at a nice restaurant and the service was exceptional, would it not be reasonable to give a 30% tip if you felt the service was good? So what’s the difference between 100 very nice meals or 1 really big one? Either way, if the service was very good, the tip should be paid accordingly. Chances are, it’s not just one guy banking nearly $30K, it probably took a team of people waiting on them for every second for the entire night. The same team of people that would have worked several other tables throughout the night for a similar net total.

Having been a server/bartender I understand the concept of additional tipping. Your previous post where you said they "do that for some reason" made it sound like you thought it was a formatting issue on the receipt, not a space for an additional tip. I think everyone can agree there are instances of service that deserve more than the 15-20% typical tip.

I don't agree that the 29 'expensive' bottles of Veuve and Dom, which total 146,200, and therefore 29,240 of the mandatory 20% tip, required more service to open or serve, then the remaining drinks on the bill. One could substitute those 29 bottles for 29 bottles of Mumm Champagne (for argument sake, I realize no one would do this), and you effectively have equal work. Hell, even remove the Veuve and replace it with Dom and you would save 100,000, and still be drinking Dom! Point is cost and service are not tied hand in hand.

Secondly, I’ll go out on a limb but I highly doubt this was just a group of friends drinking the night away. I’m pretty sure this was some sort of business or entertainment function and based on the number of drinks at least 40 people involved if not more. When my company does social events here, it’s not uncommon to rack up $100K+ bills for our customers. However, we aren’t in the business of spending money. These events have a purpose and a darn good one at that and justify their high expenses.

Generally, I too would agree this is likely not a group of friends, but rumor is Lebron racked up 171k at Encore living it up, and this is Vegas, so I won't venture to say who/what this party was. I also won't guesstimate what you or your company does to rack up 100k+ events for your clients.

Consider this though, cut out the Veuve and the 95 Dom, and replace it with 5 bottles of the 2000 Dom. Did the amount of drinks avaliable change? Does anything tangible change? In reality most people would be pretty psyched to be drinking 2000 Dom at 850 a bottle. The only real loss, is the loss of the 'bling' factor that goes with dropping 125k on 5 bottles. While I understand the business need to impress certain clients, that impression is it's self based on indulgence.

Thirdly, if this sort of thing makes you sick then I sure hope you aren’t invited to any weddings, funerals, birthday parties, bachelorette parties or bar mitzvahs among other things. Because just what do you think those are? Indulgent behavior? Spending huge sums of money and for what? Just to have a good time? Just to celebrate? Just to indulge in something? We do all sorts of things where we just spend large sums of money for the sake of just enjoying ourselves. And while events like this are somewhat uncommon, weddings, birthday parties etc. go on all the time and collectively “waste” (as you would put it) millions of more dollars than this event.

If I was invited to a wedding, bar mitzvah, birthday party ect. and they spent this kind of money on 5 bottles, I would personally be disgusted, and I'd let the host know it. That doesn't mean I'd crash the party, but there is no reason I should mask my feelings when someone polar opposite expresses their need to go above and beyond and display to the world their decadence. One can respectfully disagree with anothers decision.

Additionally, I don't see any of these events being tied to the cost of drinks served. If your wedding sucked, one 25k bottle of dom isn't going to save it. One bottle of Dom, vs a full bar though... Each could cost 25k, but which would likely have the bigger effect on everyone at a wedding? As I said, my personal feelings aside, I hope the person who paid this tab is equally generious with charitable donations, as they are with personal indulgence.

Finally, you mention charity. Well let’s examine what this is. Vegas, next to Detroit, was one of the hardest hit cities during this economic downturn. 14%+ unemployment, the highest foreclosure rate in the US, 60% decline in housing values, etc. etc. When someone spends like this do you know what I see? I see someone able to keep their job and pay their mortgage. I see hard working people earning their pay in exchange for goods and services so they can pay their bills. I see one less person on unemployment or one less foreclosure. Vegas relies on tourism. It is our ONLY industry. We NEED these types of expenditures or guess what? More unemployment, more foreclosures. So while you preach charity, how about giving people the chance to actually work and earn their income so they can stay in their homes. Just like Detroit NEEDS you to buy cars so they can stay in business, we need people to come and spend money gambling, shopping and partying. Because that is how we stay in business. And if people don’t, then I guess you’ll need to spend even more money on charity because you’ll have a lot more jobless and homeless people to contend with.

How much of that bill do you think reached the actual workers? How many workers in Vegas are lucky enough to work in the clubs that can see this kind of tab? I agree this did benefit the workers of the club, but I disagree a large spending spree on drinks has an appreciable effect on the Vegas economy. The Wynn is a for profit company, and the money they pocket is not handed out to the masses.

Vegas is built on tourism, but that is no secret. Every entertainer, waiter, stripper, construction worker, project manager, and employee who moved to Vegas should understand the economy has Ebb and flow. The ups and downs, why unfortunate, are not unpredictable in the sense that it will rain sometime. I'm sure Bernie Madoff and many others just like him did their part in supporting the Vegas economy in their day, but many of the problems you listed are likely a result of their inflated and off kilter values.

For arguments sake, do you think Vegas Benefits more from 200K spent at a club at the Wynn, or from 200K spent across the strip, a little here, and a little there? How many pawn shops, single mothers at the crazy horse, wedding chapels and Elvis inpersonators will ever receive any ancillary benefit from a one night Trist at Tryst? Is their mortgage any less real? Vegas needs the masses to return to have a measurable effect on the economy.

Detroit on the other hand can blame a lot of their misfortune on shitty cars produced and pushed on the masses. A decade of rental cars was going to catch up to them sooner or later, economical issues aside. Ford, GM, and Chrysler have started producing better cars in the face of decling sales and overwhelming foreign competition, and I would actually consider one now.

I do not consider the bailouts charity, I believe one should sleep in the bed they make. I believe GM and Chrysler actually lucked out in the sense that their almost demise coincided with the economy which allowed them to blame shift. Speaking of over indulgence, do you remember when the CEO's of the Big 3 flew private jets to plead for taxpayer money before congress. Sheesh.

Last edited:
In certain POS systems will always have that blank line to add in more grat.

I didn't google that restaurant/club or whatever but it's almost like when you ad a grat on a table that has 200 in food and 1000 in wine. That server has to tip out either a som out or a bartender. Different percentages for different restaurants.

I'm no accountant so I don't know if grats are write offs or not, or maybe a certain percentage is and anything over that is not?

Stephen

I like the 10x mark up from super market prices on all drinks (which are already marked up). Maybe 15x mark up from manufacturer's cost of production. Absolutely insane. Wish I could sell stuff like that.

I have an old Golf TDI that is on it's way out - paid $6500 for it when I got it. I'll sell it for $65,000. Those fellas can show off how baller they are to be able to drop so much on my car :-D

Having been a server/bartender I understand the concept of additional tipping. Your previous post where you said they "do that for some reason" made it sound like you thought it was a formatting issue on the receipt, not a space for an additional tip. I think everyone can agree there are instances of service that deserve more than the 15-20% typical tip.

I don't agree that the 29 'expensive' bottles of Veuve and Dom, which total 146,200, and therefore 29,240 of the mandatory 20% tip, required more service to open or serve, then the remaining drinks on the bill. One could substitute those 29 bottles for 29 bottles of Mumm Champagne (for argument sake, I realize no one would do this), and you effectively have equal work. Hell, even remove the Veuve and replace it with Dom and you would save 100,000, and still be drinking Dom! Point is cost and service are not tied hand in hand.

That's a valid point. However, the cost is not tied to service. The cost is tied to laws of economics and supply and demand. The venues can charge and expect the dollar amounts that they charge because people are willing to pay it. The markups and tips have no relation to actual service; they are related to demand, no different than the dealership asking me for a $3,000 premium over MSRP on a new Toyota Prius. I’m not getting better service or a better car for that extra $3K. They charge that much because they can get that much. And if you were in that position, you’d do the same thing. If you were trying to sell your car and someone asked $3K more for it, would you tell them you don’t want it? If the demand wasn’t there, then these clubs could charge such exorbitant fees. But the fees are there because the demand is there and if you’ve ever been to one of these clubs they are packed asses to elbows with 100 yard lines to get in. And tip lines are there because if you enjoyed your stay there and wish to return, then you need to know that it is a good idea to take care of the people in that industry and that tipping has its privileges (if that is what you want).

Generally, I too would agree this is likely not a group of friends, but rumor is Lebron racked up 171k at Encore living it up, and this is Vegas, so I won't venture to say who/what this party was. I also won't guesstimate what you or your company does to rack up 100k+ events for your clients.

Consider this though, cut out the Veuve and the 95 Dom, and replace it with 5 bottles of the 2000 Dom. Did the amount of drinks avaliable change? Does anything tangible change? In reality most people would be pretty psyched to be drinking 2000 Dom at 850 a bottle. The only real loss, is the loss of the 'bling' factor that goes with dropping 125k on 5 bottles. While I understand the business need to impress certain clients, that impression is it's self based on indulgence.

Why stop there? Why not replace the 2000 Dom with off the shelf Korbel? Hell, why not replace it with Popov vodka and orange juice? Why even indulge in alcohol in the first place since it is completely hedonistic anyway? Who draws that line? Who is the moral police to say what is an “acceptable” amount to spend on alcohol? Does it mean that since you can’t comfortably afford this level of lifestyle then it repulses you? What about the person who can’t afford your level of lifestyle, should they be repulsed by the hedonistic way you live?

If I was invited to a wedding, bar mitzvah, birthday party ect. and they spent this kind of money on 5 bottles, I would personally be disgusted, and I'd let the host know it. That doesn't mean I'd crash the party, but there is no reason I should mask my feelings when someone polar opposite expresses their need to go above and beyond and display to the world their decadence. One can respectfully disagree with anothers decision.

Additionally, I don't see any of these events being tied to the cost of drinks served. If your wedding sucked, one 25k bottle of dom isn't going to save it. One bottle of Dom, vs a full bar though... Each could cost 25k, but which would likely have the bigger effect on everyone at a wedding? As I said, my personal feelings aside, I hope the person who paid this tab is equally generious with charitable donations, as they are with personal indulgence.

That's really not the point. The point is any amount of money spent on something not for bare necessities is an indulgence. Regardless if it is a $5 bottle of wine or $5,000. So who is to say what is an “acceptable” amount to spend on something? Everything needs to be based on a scale relative to your comfort level? Take the clothes you wear and the car you drive. Did you spend more than the absolute bare minimum needed? Could you get by on a less expensive car or less clothes? I can guarantee you that you did. Well why? Why didn’t you spend $5,000 less on a car and give that to charity? What if some was appalled that you even own a car, when there are people starving to death or don’t even have clean water? What about all the owners of NSX’s on this forum? That’s indulgent too. A two seat sports car for the sake of our own entertainment. We could have all bought Civic’s and donated the rest to charity. Sure you can disagree with the actions of others, but some opinions are more myopic than others. For the record, I live in Vegas and see this behavior all the time. While I hardly condone it, I can at least understand that if someone earned their money, then they have the freedom to do with it as they please. And as a disapproving observer, I can either complain about it, or make my own money myself and then do with it as I please (whether it be to indulge with it, or donate it charity). The point is, rather than complain about what people do with their own hard earned money, why not focus on just making your own money and doing with it you think is the best use of it.

How much of that bill do you think reached the actual workers? How many workers in Vegas are lucky enough to work in the clubs that can see this kind of tab? I agree this did benefit the workers of the club, but I disagree a large spending spree on drinks has an appreciable effect on the Vegas economy. The Wynn is a for profit company, and the money they pocket is not handed out to the masses.

Vegas is built on tourism, but that is no secret. Every entertainer, waiter, stripper, construction worker, project manager, and employee who moved to Vegas should understand the economy has Ebb and flow. The ups and downs, why unfortunate, are not unpredictable in the sense that it will rain sometime. I'm sure Bernie Madoff and many others just like him did their part in supporting the Vegas economy in their day, but many of the problems you listed are likely a result of their inflated and off kilter values.

For arguments sake, do you think Vegas Benefits more from 200K spent at a club at the Wynn, or from 200K spent across the strip, a little here, and a little there? How many pawn shops, single mothers at the crazy horse, wedding chapels and Elvis inpersonators will ever receive any ancillary benefit from a one night Trist at Tryst? Is their mortgage any less real? Vegas needs the masses to return to have a measurable effect on the economy.

Detroit on the other hand can blame a lot of their misfortune on shitty cars produced and pushed on the masses. A decade of rental cars was going to catch up to them sooner or later, economical issues aside. Ford, GM, and Chrysler have started producing better cars in the face of decling sales and overwhelming foreign competition, and I would actually consider one now.

I do not consider the bailouts charity, I believe one should sleep in the bed they make. I believe GM and Chrysler actually lucked out in the sense that their almost demise coincided with the economy which allowed them to blame shift. Speaking of over indulgence, do you remember when the CEO's of the Big 3 flew private jets to plead for taxpayer money before congress. Sheesh.

ALL of that money comes back to us. We have no state income taxes here in Vegas. Do you know why? A large part of it is because the casinos pay ridiculous taxes to the state which is used to pay for roads, schools and government services. When the casinos make money, everybody here benefits. Now that the casinos aren’t making money guess what happens? Well I can tell you first hand that we had massive teacher layoff and huge school budget cutbacks. Why? Because people stopped spending in Vegas, revenue was down, and state tax income was down. So whether it be the server who can pay for their mortgage, the casino that can pay their taxes or the Steve Wynn who can make enough money to open a casino that employs hundreds of people, that money is the life blood of our city. We don’t produce cars, we don’t make medicines, and Apple isn’t headquartered here. We survive on people spending money on a hedonistic lifestyle (as much as you disapprove of it).

And while you can discuss the merits of HOW that money is distributed, unless you want to establish a completely communistic and socialistic government, then you’ll just have to accept that when money flows in a city it will always be distributed disproportionately. Would it be nice for money to be disturbed equally along the Strip? Hell would it be nice if people patronized business off of the Strip? Yes and yes. But that’s not realistic. People don’t come here to eat at the local Applebees. People come here for the Strip and the Strip experience. They want the hot clubs. They want the indulgent, hedonistic lifestyle. They want a place where they can blow wads of cash and be a baller for the night. It’s Vegas for christ’s sake. What do you think the line “what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas” comes from? Why do you think the movie Hangover was shot in Vegas? In order to get people to drop a small mortgage on a single night, you NEED the Steve Wynn’s of the world and the greedy corporations to set up environments where people are compelled to do it. Does it mean hedonistic opulence and uneven distribution of profits? Yes. But nobody is going to drop $200K watching an Elvis impersonator or eating at a $9.99 buffet.

http://www.vegasinc.com/news/2011/may/18/white-house-again-clarifies-presidents-words-las-v/

Last edited:
While I am the type of person who enjoys a healthy debate, It’s difficult to determine tone in writing. Being that your in Vegas, I don’t want this to degrade into anything more than a honest discussion. Hopefully you view this as an insider/outsider discussion, but some of the word choice makes me wonder.

That's a valid point. However, the cost is not tied to service. The cost is tied to laws of economics and supply and demand. The venues can charge and expect the dollar amounts that they charge because people are willing to pay it. The markups and tips have no relation to actual service; they are related to demand, no different than the dealership asking me for a $3,000 premium over MSRP on a new Toyota Prius. I’m not getting better service or a better car for that extra $3K. They charge that much because they can get that much. And if you were in that position, you’d do the same thing. If you were trying to sell your car and someone asked $3K more for it, would you tell them you don’t want it? If the demand wasn’t there, then these clubs could charge such exorbitant fees. But the fees are there because the demand is there and if you’ve ever been to one of these clubs they are packed asses to elbows with 100 yard lines to get in. And tip lines are there because if you enjoyed your stay there and wish to return, then you need to know that it is a good idea to take care of the people in that industry and that tipping has its privileges (if that is what you want).

I never argued the concept of supply and demand. I never argued the demand isn’t there either. Obviously Vegas is built on over the top opulence, and those with the means can flex their muscle in an almost unequally visible manner. I also get the need for companies to impress clients, the need to tip the right people, or being noticed by the right people giving a large tip. We can agree on the basics of consumerism in Vegas all day, but it was never my point. Going back to my original post, I said I hope this individual is a generous with his money for charitable causes as he is with personal indulgence. Are they? I don’t know, but I hope so.

Bill Gates, the richest man in the world between 94-2009, Warren Buffet, and Mark Zuckerberg have all committed to giving away half of their wealth over time. (The Giving Pledge). This pledge is target towards philanthropy. Maybe I should have said philanthropy instead of charity, as it has broader implications, but the founding principle of both remains to improve the quality of life to those less fortunate, which was essentially my point.

If Bill Gates hosted a party at Tryst, and he bought out the entire bar, I wouldn’t bat an eye for two reasons. A. as you said, their can be good reasons for any level of spending, and B. He has proven himself as seeing the bigger picture, in that life exists beyond all of our own little worlds, and we each have a moral duty to help others in a reasonable manner. Even if this hypothetical situation was a one night bender with no goal, meaning, or purpose, we all have the right to blow off steam, so there is no harm, and Vegas would benefit, so yay. Again my point is the recognition of balance.

Why stop there? Why not replace the 2000 Dom with off the shelf Korbel? Hell, why not replace it with Popov vodka and orange juice? Why even indulge in alcohol in the first place since it is completely hedonistic anyway? Who draws that line? Who is the moral police to say what is an “acceptable” amount to spend on alcohol? Does it mean that since you can’t comfortably afford this level of lifestyle then it repulses you? What about the person who can’t afford your level of lifestyle, should they be repulsed by the hedonistic way you live?

Why stop there? Why even indulge in Alcohol in the first place? Simple, because my point was never to remove/reduce/alter the activity to the point of fallacy. I wanted to present an alternate proposition that didn’t change the type or amount of consumable beverage (given the bottles are of equal size???) The point is the only reason to buy such expensive bottles, which I termed self indulgence, though it might better be describe as Narcissism (if this was an individual) and Ostentatiousness, is to show off ones wealth.

I’m not the moral police, and I never said there is anything wrong with drinking. I also never attempted to define an “Acceptable” amount to spend on alcohol, or for anything for that matter. I think as adults most people set what they see as reasonable values for what they themselves are willing to spend on x,y, and z. Society as a whole, through social construct and norms, also identifies what an overall reasonable spending level is for x, y, and z. As our personal habits will inevitably be judged against the norms of society, it becomes pretty easy to pick out the outliers. Are outliers good or bad? To me, it depends on their other values.

It’s not like I’m the first person to question such spending, be it Vegas or the Fiesta Bowl. A lot of people have lost their jobs due to such indiscretions, and just because Vegas has built their economy on the “what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas” mantra, that’s really not the case. People will ask questions, and as the money spent has to come from somewhere. Hopefully, if some reporter decides to track down the story, it’ll be traced back to an individual, like LeBron, who can do as he pleases. Unfortunately, as we all know and have read in the news, that’s not always the case…

That's really not the point. The point is any amount of money spent on something not for bare necessities is an indulgence. Regardless if it is a $5 bottle of wine or $5,000. So who is to say what is an “acceptable” amount to spend on something? Everything needs to be based on a scale relative to your comfort level? Take the clothes you wear and the car you drive. Did you spend more than the absolute bare minimum needed? Could you get by on a less expensive car or less clothes? I can guarantee you that you did. Well why? Why didn’t you spend $5,000 less on a car and give that to charity? What if some was appalled that you even own a car, when there are people starving to death or don’t even have clean water? What about all the owners of NSX’s on this forum? That’s indulgent too. A two seat sports car for the sake of our own entertainment. We could have all bought Civic’s and donated the rest to charity. Sure you can disagree with the actions of others, but some opinions are more myopic than others. For the record, I live in Vegas and see this behavior all the time. While I hardly condone it, I can at least understand that if someone earned their money, then they have the freedom to do with it as they please. And as a disapproving observer, I can either complain about it, or make my own money myself and then do with it as I please (whether it be to indulge with it, or donate it charity). The point is, rather than complain about what people do with their own hard earned money, why not focus on just making your own money and doing with it you think is the best use of it.

I agree that self indulgence wasn’t the best descriptor for this behavior, so I agree anything not absolutely necessary can be viewed as indulgence. I think were in agreement it’s not really anyone else’s job to define what is and isn’t acceptable for you, and I agree that many people in 3<sup>rd</sup> world countries, and even many domestically, are likely disturbed by the way upper, and middle class American’s spend their money. With that said Society has it’s line, I have mine, and I think mine is fairly typical (for America). I will express myself if I see something that’s so far outside the box I deem it ridiculous. Will you care/agree/disagree? Only you can answer that.

While I concede indulgence was poor word choice on my behalf, I never presented an argument that equal fun could be had in an alcohol free party, and that everyone should live life by the barest of means and donate their excess. I simply stated with little effort, the bill could be reduced 100k with almost no appreciable difference in substance. How many people even know what 95 Dom and Veuve taste like?

ALL of that money comes back to us. We have no state income taxes here in Vegas. Do you know why? A large part of it is because the casinos pay ridiculous taxes to the state which is used to pay for roads, schools and government services. When the casinos make money, everybody here benefits. Now that the casinos aren’t making money guess what happens? Well I can tell you first hand that we had massive teacher layoff and huge school budget cutbacks. Why? Because people stopped spending in Vegas, revenue was down, and state tax income was down. So whether it be the server who can pay for their mortgage, the casino that can pay their taxes or the Steve Wynn who can make enough money to open a casino that employs hundreds of people, that money is the life blood of our city. We don’t produce cars, we don’t make medicines, and Apple isn’t headquartered here. We survive on people spending money on a hedonistic lifestyle (as much as you disapprove of it).

You keep putting words in my mouth. Please quote me on where I said I disapprove of anyone’s hedonistic lifestyle, or said people shouldn’t be allowed this type of lifestyle. I earlier used the term disgusted, which you termed as repulsed. While similar, they are not synonyms of one another as disgusted does not include the discourteousness/rudeness/coldness that is traditionally associated with repulsed. It’s a subtle difference, but as I said, one can respectfully disagree with another’s decision.

Do you think people are just cutting back spending in Las Vegas? All state income is taking the hit through decreased sales (sales tax) and decreased jobs (income tax). Your city is not unique in that sense. I work for a school district that has laid-off 30 million dollars in paid staff in the last 2 years. The people who have no money to travel to Vegas, are also people who have no money at home. While I feel empathy for those who are struggling, both my wife’s brother and father were unemployed for two years, this is the world we live in. I would think living in Vegas, you would understand the places with the highest highs often have the lowest lows. No one placed an embargo on Nevada and big business, but being the state known for gluttony and excess probably has negative consequences when trying to reel in big business.

And while you can discuss the merits of HOW that money is distributed, unless you want to establish a completely communistic and socialistic government, then you’ll just have to accept that when money flows in a city it will always be distributed disproportionately. Would it be nice for money to be disturbed equally along the Strip? Hell would it be nice if people patronized business off of the Strip? Yes and yes. But that’s not realistic. People don’t come here to eat at the local Applebees. People come here for the Strip and the Strip experience. They want the hot clubs. They want the indulgent, hedonistic lifestyle. They want a place where they can blow wads of cash and be a baller for the night. It’s Vegas for christ’s sake. What do you think the line “what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas” comes from? Why do you think the movie Hangover was shot in Vegas? In order to get people to drop a small mortgage on a single night, you NEED the Steve Wynn’s of the world and the greedy corporations to set up environments where people are compelled to do it. Does it mean hedonistic opulence and uneven distribution of profits? Yes. But nobody is going to drop $200K watching an Elvis impersonator or eating at a $9.99 buffet.

How many rooms in Vegas are there for the ultra rich? How many are there for average Mr. And Mrs. America? Vegas needs the average person to return. Mr. 200k is still hanging out in Vegas, just like he was before the economy turned; the difference is the thousands of entry level rooms that remain empty across the strip. The perfectly reasonable or minimally extravagant spending that the majority of Vegas tourists spend is what keeps your economy turning, not 95 Dom Perignon. The average joe will spend much more evenly across the board then the uber rich in town for a one nighter. 200k is 200k, but Vegas would benefit more from 200 people spending 1k throughout the strip, then 1 party doing it in 1 club.

This is all off topic though as I don’t disapprove of Vegas, and I never did. I just hope that those who spend extravagantly, also spend a day with Habitat for Humanity, donate their hair for Locks of Love, give a charitable donation to their non-profit of choice, or buy a breakfast for elderly lady eating alone at Denny’s on Sunday morning because we can. The world is what we make of it, and unfortunately it’s kind of shibby right now because a lot of people have done some really crummy things in the last decade.

In any event, I’ll be bringing a portion of my disposable income with me when I do Vegas this summer, and I’ll do my part to support your economy in the hedonistic way I apparently disapprove of. If you want I can bring a list of my good deeds and we can review it while we crack a bottle of Mumm (or Korbel if that’s your preference), no Dom though, I’ll be on a budget. :biggrin:

Last edited:
While I am the type of person who enjoys a healthy debate, It’s difficult to determine tone in writing. Being that your in Vegas, I don’t want this to degrade into anything more than a honest discussion. Hopefully you view this as an insider/outsider discussion, but some of the word choice makes me wonder.

No, no hard feelings at all and never was. You've already demonstrated that you are intelligent with well thought out sentences and rational thoughts. So for that alone I respect your opinions and I certainly can't fault someone for having differing opinions. However, it is a topic that I'm passionate about for a multitude of reasons, least of which is the fact that I actually live in Vegas and have been directly affected by the change in spending habits here in my town. And as you can see based on the news article I hyperlinked, many people share my feelings when someone even remotely hints of reducing spending in our city by wagging the moral finger (even the president!) :eek: Anyhow, I don’t want to turn this into a philosophical discussion, which at the heart it really is. I think we do agree on several things, we’ll have to agree to disagree on a few others; like what it means to be philanthropic and the true value of charity.

Anyhow, I hope you have lots of fun in our fair city, but more importantly you spend LOTS OF MONEY!! :biggrin: So just how many magnums of Dom should I put you down for? :tongue:

:eek: hfs guys, bottom line is $9 for a turgid bull (red bull, laughable price) and 5 clams for a brewski? (also laughable, good luck on the "tip").

Get off my cloud. Think I'll just remain in the realistic Midwest and you can call me what you will. Arista, thx for the giggle :smile:

Back