• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

work for a car dealership?

if so, i'd like to hear your thoughts/comments on this:

short version: paying cash for a new prius, dealer insisted on ssan and 3 references to complete the deal.

long version:

today after waiting 4 months, my wife and i went to pick up her new, 2006 prius.

when we sit down, the sales manager says, "ok, we need you to fill out this credit app". i said, "we're paying cash". he said, "that's ok, don't fill out the credit stuff, just complete the personal info, ssan, and give 3 references." i said, "you can have my name/address/home phone, but you ain't getting my ssan and you sure as hell don't need 3 references if i'm paying cash." he says, "yes, it's required that we collect that info because how do i know you are who you say you are (i said, "you've got our driver's licenses" for ID) and how do i know your check is good?" i said, "well, how 'bout if i give you my passport - is that valid enough for you (?) and if you'll give me 10 minutes, i'll walk to the bank, get the cash and put it on your desk."

Nope, still gotta have the data. so i said, "well i guess we won't be buying a car from you, this is a commodity, not a relationship purchase."

he's getting flustered & we're getting PISSED because we ordered this car 4 months ago and they gave ours away somewhere in the process, so... now we're seeing another wait unfolding if we go to another dealer. so he excuses himself to get his manager and when the guy comes in, he says, "look, we usually collect that info for our records but we don't have to if you object to it." (and you just raised our bp 40 pts cause... why?)

my question for you dealership folks:
what's up with the ssan / references for cash purchases? i'd prefer the non-marketing spiel, please: is there some massive requirement by the fed/state that i'm unaware of (apparently not since we ended up with the car and didn't do that)

thx.
hal

when i bought my nsx from the acura dealership, i walked in with a check..gave them my name and address and let them copy my drivers license. I gave no additional info. Same when i bought my sport trac except i paid cash instead of a check.

sjones said:
when i bought my nsx from the acura dealership, i walked in with a check..gave them my name and address and let them copy my drivers license. I gave no additional info. Same when i bought my sport trac except i paid cash instead of a check.
yup, pretty much my experience, too... that's why i was so suprised... astonished, actually.

I know that if you make a cash transaction for more than $10,000 there is a reporting process for the fed. Maybe they wanted it for that?!?

Still doesn't explain why they backed off though... Weird.

Philip

I really don't think he was talking about the purchase price in actual cold hard cash, but rather a check. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
I bought our 04 TL last year and we just did the title work and I handed over a cashier check for the balance due and we drove it home.
Nothing more. I am VERY touchy about giving out personal info like that so I would've reacted the same way as you.
Good job on standing your ground.

I sell cars. All i need is a name, address and a copy of a drivers license. Hell you paid cash??? I would have bought lunch and treated you at the strip club later that night.:biggrin: Seriously, i have no idea why they wanted all that info. Im curious as well.

I think it's more for the after sale. Extended warranty and all. I have paid for my cars the same way, and I have never given out all that info either...
He may have been worried about the check, and following the Sales' Manger's request for the info after you were about to walk, the sales manager steps up and says don't worry about it...

I did have the Acura Dealer here do that same exact thing to me and my wife on a TL, needless to say we walked out on them.. You only get 1 screw up with me...I don't have time to BS with anyone.

I run a small dealership on the side.

Cashiers check - don't need it.

[theoretically..] Cold Hard Cash over 10k, need a IRS 8300 "Report of Cash Payments Over $10,000" with....

Taxpayer identification number (TIN). You must
furnish the correct TIN of the person or persons
from whom you receive the cash and, if
applicable, the person or persons on whose
behalf the transaction is being conducted. You
may be subject to penalties for an incorrect or
missing TIN.
If you have requested but are not able to get a
TIN for one or more of the parties to a
transaction within 15 days following the
transaction, file the report and attach a
statement explaining why the TIN is not
included.
The TIN for an individual (including a sole
proprietorship) is the individual’s social security
number (SSN). For certain resident aliens who
are not eligible to get an SSN and nonresident
aliens who are required to file tax returns, it is an
IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
(ITIN). For other persons, including corporations,
partnerships, and estates, it is the employer
identification number (EIN).

Overall, you were absolutely right. The dealer was just following mindless instructions, probably related to pulling financing... maybe their software has a slot for SSN, who knows. Also, lots of dealers really do sloppy paperwork, even big franchise ones.

I can understand having your address for warranty and such.but 3 references ????....that's just strange...I would have told them to go screw too..

Sorry to hear about your frustration but the dealer is right, they need those info. They basically gave you a "five liner" (name, address, d.o.b, SSN and refferences.) I would have given you an "either or contract". Which means if your funds were no good, they would immedietly cash in your contract. Without proper info, your contract is worthless.

For the 3 referrences, they are only contacted for verification if NEEDED. Which means if they find a suspicious person, they would need to verify that individual.

If you are paying cold hard cash, anything over $10,000 gets reported to Uncle Sam and guess whats needed for that :wink: ...

Some Sales Managers/ GSM's with less experience would have let you gone without those info but if a check bounces without a cashable contract???? ouchhhh, it would be a nitemare in hell for them to collect and/or recover.

You wouldnt believe how much "fraud" and "theft identity I've personally seen as a previous GSM, sometimes it takes months to find a check was fraud.

Dont let it bother you, its strictly for business. They took a big chance letting you go without those info. Im sure your good for it but if a person wansnt???

regards

Last edited:
spartan2-3 said:
Dont let it bother you, its strictly for business. They took a big chance letting you go without those info. Im sure your good for it but if a person wansnt???

Good for what??..he offered to pay them in cash bills!!!

andy, spartan, et al,

thanks for the specific feedback, i have a better understanding of the transaction from the other side of the table.

ref check / cash payment, i offered to walk to the bank and return with cash - now i understand they would have had even *more* paperwork to complete had we taken that route and likely they aren't as familiar with >10k cash paperwork as they are with more routine stuff. (as for being "good for it" wrt contract, yup... we're fairly solid - live in same town / have same phone # for 21 years. (we're, ahem... "old school", yeah that's it, "old school" ;)

thanks to everyone for your feedback, i'll pass the info to my bride.
hal

queenlives said:
andy, spartan, et al,

thanks for the specific feedback, i have a better understanding of the transaction from the other side of the table.

ref check / cash payment, i offered to walk to the bank and return with cash - now i understand they would have had even *more* paperwork to complete had we taken that route and likely they aren't as familiar with >10k cash paperwork as they are with more routine stuff. (as for being "good for it" wrt contract, yup... we're fairly solid - live in same town / have same phone # for 21 years. (we're, ahem... "old school", yeah that's it, "old school" ;)

thanks to everyone for your feedback, i'll pass the info to my bride.
hal

Queenlives,

Glad to hear :smile:. Dealers usually run credit regardless of how your paying. A credit report will give them a better view of an individuals financial situation and NOT for marketing scheme. If your a 700+ then they have no worries (heck you can write a check and have them hold it for several weeks) but if an individual has iffy credit then they need to find alternatives of back up financing ("cashable contract").

Remember a Driver's license or a Passport does NOT justify an individual's financial situation but a credit report does.

Short story: We sold a van to a family that were cash buyers. I ran a credit report and they showed 570 on the bureau, I had them write two (2) checks broken down @ 70/30......guess what???? the check for 70% bounced and the 30% cleared....I used the 30% as down payment and cashed in the "70 % contract (outstanding balance)" to an outside lender @ an extremely high APR.

cheers

Back