• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Work Wheels Fitment Help

Hey guys, could anyone help me with a wheel fitment problem I have.
I recently purchased a set of Work XD9 wheels. Front: 17x7.5 +42 with 215/40/17 tires and Rear: 18x10 +38 with 275/35/18 tires.

I tried mounting the wheels this morning, and the rear wheels were hitting the rear brakes before I could even finish screwing in the lug nuts. I have stock OEM brakes.

I did do my research prior to purchasing the wheels and the wheels specs are within the allowable range for the NSX. Ive also seen others running the same set up. Would anyone know why the wheels are not fitting? Could it be the specific wheel model?

Only solution I can think of is to go with spacers/adapters in order to push the wheel out enough to clear the brakes.

Any help/suggestions you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
John

I recently purchased a set of Work XD9 wheels. Front: 17x7.5 +42 with 215/40/17 tires and Rear: 18x10 +38 with 275/35/18 tires.

I tried mounting the wheels this morning, and the rear wheels were hitting the rear brakes before I could even finish screwing in the lug nuts. I have stock OEM brakes.

I did do my research prior to purchasing the wheels and the wheels specs are within the allowable range for the NSX. Ive also seen others running the same set up. Would anyone know why the wheels are not fitting? Could it be the specific wheel model?

Only solution I can think of is to go with spacers/adapters in order to push the wheel out enough to clear the brakes.

Thanks
John

Sometimes even with the same offsets, the spoke design impacts brake clearance. How many more mm's do you need to clear the brakes?

you need to take a file and file the brake caliper, it will not effect the brakes, just one flaw of the nsx's mass produced brakes

Dear
The Front will work, correctly but at the Rear it will work only with the bigger brakes 97+ and then the fitment is perfect.
Have a look in to the Gallary:
http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=30838&title=na2-05-small&cat=500
Only in the Front i have 8.5x17 +42. The Ballance is with 225/35-17 and 265/35-18 Tyres perfect and with out untersteering :wink:

Best Regards
Eric

Thanks
John

... but at the Rear it will work only with the bigger brakes 97+ and then the fitment is perfect.

This is the same experience I have with my current Work Varianzas.. Because of the spoke design, the wheel hits the caliper carrier bracket (not the caliper). By having a larger rotor in the rear (97+, or in my case the Racing Brake 330mm rotors), it pushes the caliper out further in the wheel where the wheel spoke is more curved, allowing the caliper bracket to clear.

So you basically have two options:
1) Run the 5mm spacer
2) Run larger rear brakes (just a reason to get a Big Brake Kit) :biggrin:

Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like im leaning towards the 5mm spacers as the quickest and cheapest option for now. Definately tempted for the BBK though, hehe.

Ive never used spacers on a car before, are there any safety concerns that I should know of? Doesnt the use of spacers shorten the threading on the bolt?

Thanks again
John

Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like im leaning towards the 5mm spacers as the quickest and cheapest option for now. Definately tempted for the BBK though, hehe.

Ive never used spacers on a car before, are there any safety concerns that I should know of? Doesnt the use of spacers shorten the threading on the bolt?

Thanks again
John

You will be 100% fine with the 5mm spacer. You won't need extended bolts, etc. Hopefully you do not rub being 5mm more out. Let is know how it goes. If you do have some rubbing, maybe just lower the car a tad more and induce some more negative camber. If that doesn't work, a narrower tire should do the trick.

Thanks again
John

Buy hubcentric spacers for a center bore of 64.1mm for the rear of the NSX. H&R makes them and so does ICHIBA. The reason for getting the hubcentric spacers is because your Work Wheels require hubrings. Hubrings require a flat surface to be mounted on like the hub or a proper spacer. Universal spacers have large gaps by the hub which can allow the hubring to dislodge itself and fall into the gap. This isn't good for keeping your wheel secure nor free from vibrations.

Here is a photo of a proper spacer, but improper installation (the spacer should be installed on it's other side, so there is a flat surface all the way to the hub (instead of a crevice by the hub).
spacer2.jpg

Lastly the only other recommendation I would make is to tighten/torque your lug nuts while the car is up in the car where there is no external forces acting on the wheel. I've tightened down wheels with lug nuts in the standard fashion (with the wheels on the ground), only to find out about 100 miles later the lug nuts came loose. This shouldn't be a problem with your rear wheels and the parking brake on.

Adrian, better advice is to lower the car to the point where the wheels "just touch". This allows one to tighten the lugs with the aid of friction without the weight of the car affecting surface tension.

Adrian, better advice is to lower the car to the point where the wheels "just touch". This allows one to tighten the lugs with the aid of friction without the weight of the car affecting surface tension.

That's what I did when the lug nuts came loose (they might have went a little past "just touch", but it's hard to gauge), that's why I suggest in the air. :smile:
This also happened to a friend of mine, except he lost his entire wheel while driving down the street. The difference is he used an impact wrench..:eek: :eek:

Only the front wheels require the above mentioned method since the parking brake doesn't work on them.

Last edited:
Just a heads up this advice isn't free......we are going to need a picture or two when you get them on the car:biggrin:

Dont worry, I will definitely post some pictures once I get them on, I REALLY appreciate all the help. I waited 4 months to get these wheels, and it sucks waiting any longer just to get them on, hehe

I actually got some great advice from Angus, he suggested using some washers to determine the clearance I would need to clear the brakes. I just tried using 1/4" washers which is about 6.34mm. I was just barely clearing the brakes. The 5mm suggested for SOS is for a 18x9.5 wheel, my rears are 18x10.

Anyways, it looks like I will have to go with 10mm spacers. I didnt see any 10mm on the H&R website that applies to the NSX, nor did I find any 10mm Ichiba spacers that meet Adrian's recommendation for center bore of 64.1

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to purchase some hubcentric 10mm 5x114.3 center bore 64.1mm spacers?

I've been using Project Kics over the past few years and very happy with this product. I don't think Project Kics has a hubcentric spacer available for 10mm for the rears. However, the 15mm can be purchased with an optional 64mm bore hubcentric ring. Personally, I have run the 10mm rear spacer and it isn't exactly hubcentric, but close. I never had any issues. Take a look below.

15mm Spacer:
http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/M...n=PROD&Store_Code=EM&Product_Code=KICS-5115W1

Hubcentric ring (for 15mm spacer only):
http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/M...?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=EM&Product_Code=W1564

10mm Spacer - 10mm (centerbore here is 67mm)

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/M...n=PROD&Store_Code=EM&Product_Code=KICS-5110W1

I used a universal set when I first bought my rims and never had an issue with highspeed vibrations. However, I'm just a little anal so I ended up purchasing these for peace of mind.

Since we are on Work Wheels, I planned to install my old VSKF. The rear wheels have R-Disk with +59 offset. The wheels are 18x10. I plan to put on 20mm wheel adapter to push the wheel out to +39 offset. Will that still put the wheels tucked into the fender? The reason for installing these was to avoid the tires to rub onto the coilover like what had happened last time when the car was lowered.

Pictured below is with 8 mm spacer on the rear.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Love that model work wheel. Delyo I pm'ed a LONG time ago about his set-up. I almost bought the wheels but saw Advan Kruezer V's instead so went that route. This makes me want a set of works though!

When you are tired of the Advans, it will be time for them to come "home" to me...

:wink:

Back