• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wow All-Wheel Steering installed

Aren't the rears supposed to turn opposite to the fronts?

Only to decrease the turning radius.

Having parallel steering causes the car to translate sideways versus "turning" at speed.
I think this was a big thing in the 90's, number of Nissan's had them installed, including the GT-R (I'm sure other MFR's did as well).
All-wheel steering was a "luxurious thing", so I guess translating along the highway feels better than turning?

Performance minded people disable & remove these systems as it just extra weight.

Has anyone else had a AWS car?

Lucas

Edit: The system below a certain speed (10 km/h or so) would steer opposite to the front to allow for sharper turning, in a parking lot for example. This would be beneficial in a long car like a skyline. But above that speed, the system should do as I mentioned above to aid in lane changing.

I cant imagine what would happen if they turned opposite at speed!

Here is a video I found barely explaining Nissan's 4AWS

Last edited:
The preludes turn the opposite direction until 25 mph or so then they turn the same direction to aide in faster lane changes on the highway.... pretty amazing when I drove it!

yeah its a repost but..... has anyone ever seen him drive it like this? or does he not go over 25mph. LOL

if installed wrong would make the car do a death spin at highway speeds.

Only to decrease the turning radius.

Having parallel steering causes the car to translate sideways versus "turning" at speed.
I think this was a big thing in the 90's, number of Nissan's had them installed, including the GT-R (I'm sure other MFR's did as well).
All-wheel steering was a "luxurious thing", so I guess translating along the highway feels better than turning?

Performance minded people disable & remove these systems as it just extra weight.

Has anyone else had a AWS car?

Lucas

I drive an R32 GT-R w/ HICAS which works fairly well when all sensors are talking. It's part of the secret of its turn-in prowess, and most guys will lock it out because of being pestered by a sensor fault due to aftermarket mods rather than for feel or weight or what have you, but that's what they'll tell you.

Locking it out usually makes the car less stable at speed and not as sharp as it could be in the curves. I love my HICAS and ATTESA E-TS.

I had no idea the R32's were equipped with that.:eek: Very cool.
I drive an R32 GT-R w/ HICAS which works fairly well when all sensors are talking. It's part of the secret of its turn-in prowess, and most guys will lock it out because of being pestered by a sensor fault due to aftermarket mods rather than for feel or weight or what have you, but that's what they'll tell you.

Locking it out usually makes the car less stable at speed and not as sharp as it could be in the curves. I love my HICAS and ATTESA E-TS.

Cool! I've always been an R32 fan.

Good to hear positive feedback versus "just take it off". I always thought of AWS as a luxo sort of thing. I could definately see it actually being a performance booster (unless hindered by error codes), especially for high speed stability.

Lucas

I have a 240sx with super HICAS. It's a strange feeling at higher speeds because it makes the car feel floaty when changing lanes. I got rid of it when I did an engine swap.

I had a 92 Galant VR4 with AWS. Like most systems it turned the rears opposite the fronts at low speed and in the same direction at higher speeds. The rear suspension assembly didn't provide any steerable hardware, just soft bushings that allowed enough flex to allow the appropriate amount of wheel deflection. I wanted to keep the system working for originality's sake but in the end when the rear power steering lines started leaking everywhere I just removed all the rear wheel steering hardware and capped the lines coming from the front rack.

This video has been floating around for a while... does anyone know more about it or whether the system actually drove?

Back