• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

XPEL Self Healing Film being installed.

EAC

Legendary Member
So far, 8 hours in. The installer came to my house for the installation.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3289.jpg
    IMG_3289.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,222
Your photo concerns me greatly!

Clearly your installer did not have your patterns cut on plotter. Instead, it appears as if he cut the bra material while it was in one piece laying across your car.

I had a clear bra installed like this on my car years ago; the very first 2005 Corvette C6 to arrive in Arizona. The car was so new there were no patterns available so the installer "free-cut" the material with an exacto-knife while it was one big piece on the car. The installer ended up cutting all the way through the clear bra material and through the paint. I had cuts all over my car; headlights, hood, fenders, mirrors, behind each wheel, etc. He cut so deep in places that the fiberglass body was cut. Damage was so bad I had to run the car through a local car auction under a red light. Lost my a$$ big time!

I will not let anyone install a clear bra on my car again unless they have the patterns and cut them on a plotter prior to installing. Take a close look and make sure your installer didn't cut through the material!

So far, 8 hours in. The installer came to my house for the installation.

attachment.php

No worries, the only portion he cut was the hood to wrap the edges.Everything else was machine cut. I requested this to ensure no visible edges. He just scores the material, then pulls it apart. :wink:

His lines are surgical. Amazing work.

Your photo concerns me greatly!

Clearly your installer did not have your patterns cut on plotter. Instead, it appears as if he cut the bra material while it was in one piece laying across your car.

I had a clear bra installed like this on my car years ago; the very first 2005 Corvette C6 to arrive in Arizona. The car was so new there were no patterns available so the installer "free-cut" the material with an exacto-knife while it was one big piece on the car. The installer ended up cutting all the way through the clear bra material and through the paint. I had cuts all over my car; headlights, hood, fenders, mirrors, behind each wheel, etc. He cut so deep in places that the fiberglass body was cut. Damage was so bad I had to run the car through a local car auction under a red light. Lost my a$$ big time!

I will not let anyone install a clear bra on my car again unless they have the patterns and cut them on a plotter prior to installing. Take a close look and make sure your installer didn't cut through the material!

thats it one photo.

boooo:frown:

+1. The guy custom cut my hood because it was a type r ducted and wrapped the edges. I even pulled the side markers so the cut lines are behind the rubber gaskets. He did a great job of cutting as he just had to score the film and not cut all the way through.

sent from my crappy cell phone.

That is great news! I about lost it when I saw the photo....flashback to 2005.

Be careful when the installer's say they "score" the material. That is the exact same term the installer used when he installed the film on my C6. Then, I got curious and pulled a piece off after he left. I figured there was no way to "score" rubber material that is designed to keep rocks from damaging the underside. I mean, if all it takes is to "score" the material to get it cut apart, it would be "scored" every time a rock hit it.

This material is much more protective and flexible, and requires a complete cut to get through it. Trust me on this....I lost over $10k to the installer who was "scoring" the material on my brand spankin' new C6 Corvette!

Even though I had the first C6 most people ever laid their eyes on, I couldn't enjoy it since it had fine cuts all over it. Again, had to "red light" it at the car auction. You should have seen the look on everyone's face when it came up for auction. People ran to the lane as fast as they could when it came up. People were 10 deep...hundreds of car buffs who had never before seen a C6. Then, when I had the auctioneer explain what happened before it ran, tears came to most people's eyes! I don't think I have ever had such a large group of people console me at one time! Most commonly asked question was, "Where did you bury the installer?"

For those of you who are members of Corvette Forum, may recognize my story. It made the rounds quite fast back in 2005.

I have had many clear bras installed on my cars since that time. I sit and watch every move. It is too easy to trust someone only to later discover you fell victim to some slick talk!

Last edited:
Obviously your installer was a Bozo. There are plenty of really talented guys out there that are capable of custom cutting clear bras. When they are wrapping the film around the edges of the hood, the film is actually cut 1/2" wider than the hood and wrapped underneath so there isn't even any cutting on the body panels. I watched him do it.

If your car was all cut up, why didn't you just paint it and keep it and sue the installer for damages?

My installer was much more than a Bozo...that is for sure!

Both fenders and the hood need to be redone. His second roll of film had defects in it. :frown:

Once he gets a new roll, he'll come back over and redo everything.

Last edited:
Just snapped this.

The front bumper was actually done twice. First time, the machine cut out the Acura emblem, but didn't factor in my larger newer emblem. So, he pulled the film off, pulled the emblem off, cut a new sheet without a hole cut, then just 3m taped the emblem to the film, so it's seemless.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3292.jpg
    IMG_3292.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,128
Last edited:
Now take a key and scratch it up to see it self-heal. :tongue:

I have noticed that after track weekends....

1. the rubber wipes off MUCH easier
2. no swirl or scratch marks
3. no rock chips from the 2-1/2 highway drive each way.

Car looks great. FYI: It may take some time for all the moisture to evaporate from under the film. But if there are air bubbles, they won't go away.

Looks awesome! I have Ultimate film on my NSX and cannot believe how crystal clear it is!

Its glossy stuff and looks very good.

Need to check out your results Rob

He's coming back Saturday to re-install the Hood and both Fenders.

I hope it goes smoothly!

This is definitely not a DIY project, IMO.

Thanks, I agree. At first, I thought it wasn't anything more than a Tint job for your paint but that clearly wasn't the case. There is definitely alot of skill involved.

Ok, I'm furious.

The installer came back over with new material. He was using a steam gun to remove the material, got everything pulled off, started removing the film from the passenger fender and............ the damn paint pulled off the top of the fender with the film.

:mad:

Still having a bad experience with XPEL!

Besides ruining my paint, the new film that was overnighted was also defective. It had deep scratches in it.

Will keep you updated.

Last edited:
How long ago was your paint job completed?

Has your installer worked with the material before?

Wow! I had no problems at all. My car had been painted 25 days prior to the install. Then 3 months later (after the winter) the guy came out to replace the film on the fender because the stretch marks he said would go away never did. Steamed it and pulled right up and put a new piece on.

That sucks!

sent from my crappy cell phone.

Back