• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

XPEL Self Healing Film being installed.

How long ago was your paint job completed?

Has your installer worked with the material before?

It was painted in March I believe..

Yes, he's done 100's he says. :confused:

That totally sucks.

What is the installer going to do to make this right?

Are you going to let him touch your car again?

I'm going to take it to my bodyshop on tuesday, have them fix the fender on the installers dime.

I told him I'd give him one more shot. I believe the paint pulling up was a freak incedent. :confused:

The poor quality film can only be blaimed on the company.

Ouch! I guess it turns out I called this one in the second post in this Thread.

Well, CL65 Captain....your wisdom please on this install?

I don't understand this. I have had no problems with the film on my NSXs. There were no defects and the film looks good even on my imperfect hood/bumper (with pre-existing rock chips that were touched up). I've gotten nothing but compliments on my car and the film. I'm going to ask SmartShield (who did the install on my cars) about this and see what they think.

Ouch! I guess it turns out I called this one in the second post in this Thread.

Well, CL65 Captain....your wisdom please on this install?

Don't know what to say other than I was very happy with mine and the same guy did Ray05NSX's GT3 RS after mine. Ray had no issues either. Mine was done in Nov and Ray's this spring. :confused:

sent from my crappy cell phone.

I don't know what to say either. This stuff came precut straight from XPEL. I watched him pull it out of the box.

First batch had "Runs" in it and rough patches. 2nd batch had deep scratches and more rough patches. Of course, none of this can be seen until it's on the car.

Am I the only one who has a black NSX?

Just got a call from XPEL. We're working on correcting the issue. I'll post updates when I have them.

Good deal. I had contacted one of the owners of SmartShield, and he told me he'd refer this to the owner of XPEL. I'm sure they'll take care of you. :)

Good deal. I had contacted one of the owners of SmartShield, and he told me he'd refer this to the owner of XPEL. I'm sure they'll take care of you. :)

Eric Keller of XPEL called me.

He had somehow found this thread.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm furious.

The installer came back over with new material. He was using a steam gun to remove the material, got everything pulled off, started removing the film from the passenger fender and............ the damn paint pulled off the top of the fender with the film.

:mad:

original paint or repainted?

I'm going to take it to my bodyshop on tuesday, have them fix the fender on the installers dime.

I told him I'd give him one more shot. I believe the paint pulling up was a freak incedent. :confused:

The poor quality film can only be blaimed on the company.

Getting rolls of inferior quality film isn't that unusual when dealing with clear bra material, whether it's defects from the manufacturer or from shipping. Also, when dealing with a repainted vehicle the chance of the material pulling paint is common and should be a concern for anyone installing it, customer and or owner. Did you have your paint stripped or did they just sand and repaint when you had it re done? When it's stripped to bare aluminum your running the chance of the adhesion not being 100% up to par compared to OEM a spot on your fender can be the one weak spot where the sealer didnt adhere as it should have, you can run into this painting over factory paint also. Anytime we install on repaint it's a mandate to wait for 30 to 45 days to let the paint cure and harden and it's told to the customer ahead of install that paint pulling may be an issue. Theres no way for us to know the quality of each paint job or for that matter the more important thing again is the adhesion. By them standing behind it and working with you is GREAT and shows they want you as a customer down the road not just for that one job. Hope it worked out for you.

How do you take care of this film? Can you buff it like paint? Is it a flat smooth surface or are there minor orange peel dimples in it?

I used to have the older Xpel half-hood product and it wasn't nearly as clear as the Xpel Ultimate product I have seen on others cars

Mind that it had aged and served it's purpose quite well

Last edited:
How do you take care of this film? Can you buff it like paint? Is it a flat smooth surface or are there minor orange peel dimples in it?

yes, it can be buffed. No, it's not as smooth as paint.

When I do the conversion and repaint I am debating on a clear bra again. I've had my venture shield on for years now and it has definitely served its purpose and more... It holds cracked bumpers together quite well! There is a lot of surface area to resist the constant force gravity as it wants to pull apart my lower bumper... It's held together for a long time now so I consider it a wise investment though I don't like how it's not buffer friendly and never looks as good as paint.

it a wise investment though I don't like how it's not buffer friendly and never looks as good as paint.

Just think what it would look like without it. Clear bra is the best invention for protection for your paint. Downside like you said is it doesn't look as good as uncovered paint, Beats the alternative. imo...

Did you not read what I said? It can be buffed. The installer buffed the hell out of mine when it was installed.

Thanks EAC. I have used a buffer and plastix polish on mine and it came out fine... But it still tints slightly over time and black is especially sensitive to color variations as is white. There's good and bad, just weighing the options. It's biggest function so far has been saving my bumper though it has prevented small chips from forming everywhere too. Ever since I saw the expel self heal I have been wondering if I should try it again on my new bumper.

I've seen Xpel Ultimate on black, it looks great, and it can be buffed, waxed, etc.

It's about double the price of a 'regular' clear bra, which is already a bit of an expense - makes you want to do it once and be done with it. In my case I can use templates for the fenders and upper bumper, but I need a custom cut lower bumper, hood, and mirrors, so not only do I need to find an installer, I need a very proficient one, and they're going to need the car for a day.

The nearest approved installer with an indoor facility is about 30 minutes from me, I don't trust a mobile installation.

One of the older reviews of this film is a Porsche owner in the UK, with a black 911; his installer showed up with an enclosed car carrier to take the car away to an indoor facility for installation; pretty jealous, you park your car, and they bring it back at the end of the day installed. :cool:

XPEL installer here...the ultimate revolutionized the Industry with its self healing properties. It's clear coated so therefore can be wax and buffed with a polishing pad. The problem the OP had from last year was a common problem XPEL installers like us had to deal with. The adhesive was super aggressive causing the film to grab on the surface and when stretched, causes distortion and scratch marks on the film. However, the problem was resolved Q3 of last year and I must say...nothing really compares to the Ultimate. Hope this helps.

So how's the Xpel film holding up EAC?! After reading your posts sound like you came across a lot of problems with the film and the install.

So how's the Xpel film holding up EAC?! After reading your posts sound like you came across a lot of problems with the film and the install.

It's been in storage, so I haven't seen in since last November. Everything was fixed. Pretty amazing product.

Last edited:
Back