• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

yet another 996 turbo versus NSX thread

nice find Mike! Now I'm sure you have spent some time in a gtr..so could you compare the backseat room between the two?....uhoh did I just turn this into a 996T vs the gtr thread:tongue:

nice find Mike! Now I'm sure you have spent some time in a gtr..so could you compare the backseat room between the two?....uhoh did I just turn this into a 996T vs the gtr thread:tongue:

Call me crazy but I didnt love the GTR. It is super fast, but it didnt excite me. It felt big and I didnt feel involved, not that thats a bad thing but for a toy/occasional car I like a true manual trans and something smaller. The GT500 seemed like more fun. Now that car is an animal.

I dont feel like its fair to compare the NSX vs anything with nearly double the horsepower or so much more modern. Like bringing a gun to a fist fight. One thing that always marveled me, everytime I ever drive the NSX it seems so much quicker than the 290 horsepower reflects.

As far as the back seats, I couldnt imagine a real person ever sitting back there. Maybe a small child or my dog, possibly someone I dont like but then again they probably wouldnt be in my car in first place:biggrin:

I have a 02 996TT as well. I love mine. I have the EPL upgrades. It's pushing ~500. Very reliable, well, except the transmission....

996TT.jpg

Tip or 6 speed? Typical 2nd gear pop out?

What a treat to read about the NSX and the 996TT in that I just got one, a 996 TT that is. Mine was purchased for a very affordable price because unlike many of those that are out there, it needed some love and attention, including dealing with the second gear pop out issue. As I type this, the transmission is in Colorado at GBox, the premier PCar transmission folks in the US (if not the world). They are going to make the trans better than new. Otherwise, mine is lowered, has a stupidly loud exhaust, after market stereo, built in radar detector and laser shifters, etc, etc. I haven't seen my car in weeks because of the trans issue, but I wanted to get the car mechanically sorted (and Ben (i.e., Daisy Import) is doing the work for me) so I know the car is in fantastic hands. Comparing the two, well, there's just no comparison of power/speed. The 911 is blisteringly fast. The interiors are comparable (both a little bland compared to what's in today's cars - though with an aftermarket headunit, mine has many updated convenience features - bluetooth and a backup camera, in particular). Otherwise, IMHO, I think my car looks bad a$$. I'm not sure it's quite as sexy as the NSX was, but I love how it looks nevertheless. I'll always regard the NSX as one of the most special cars I've owned, but as others have said, having the back seat is of paramount importance (for me), so the NSX is out and the PCar is in and I don't feel one bit sad about that! By the way, between the PCar and my former Maserati GranSport, the GS wins for having a trunk, the beautiful sound of it's engine and exhaust and the cool sounding brand name, but in every other comparison, the PCar wins.

PTurbo-1.jpg

Last edited:
Call me crazy but I didnt love the GTR. It is super fast, but it didnt excite me. It felt big and I didnt feel involved, not that thats a bad thing but for a toy/occasional car I like a true manual trans and something smaller. The GT500 seemed like more fun. Now that car is an animal.

I dont feel like its fair to compare the NSX vs anything with nearly double the horsepower or so much more modern. Like bringing a gun to a fist fight. One thing that always marveled me, everytime I ever drive the NSX it seems so much quicker than the 290 horsepower reflects.

As far as the back seats, I couldnt imagine a real person ever sitting back there. Maybe a small child or my dog, possibly someone I dont like but then again they probably wouldnt be in my car in first place:biggrin:

i agree with you, Crazy. i can pinpoint why i do not like the GTR... it does not feel like a sports car. a 911 turbo on the other hand offers blistering performance with a sports car feel. lap times be damnned. we own NSX's, we know all about the significant intangibles like "feel."

Back