• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Yet another custom stereo installation!

Hi All,
I finally obtained a digital camera, so I took a quick picture of my stereo installation. It looks completely stock, with the exception of the 5" monitor that is placed above the climate control unit.

Dsc00287.jpg

It is a DVD, as well as a MP3 player. It will play over 160+ songs on just one CD-R. The system is controlled by a remote control. The player is situated just behind my seat. In addition, I can still play CD's from my changer anytime...so my song count jumps up to approximately 250.
I installed this in late August. It took me about eight hours to install everything. I started at 11pm, and finished at 7am the next morning. No sleep that evening! I was too excited :)
Unfortunately, it is interfaced via RF adapter, so you don't get all the dynamics as one would with one's changer. The sound quality is on par with radio. And you have to crank up the volume a bit more than usual. But this was what it took to get a clean installation without the headaches of redesigning the whole console (no disrespect to those who did! In fact, I admire how beautiful SNDSOUL's, Enrique's, and other sound systems look :) Some compromise was necessary for my car.
The cool thing is that if I disconnect the monitor, you wouldn't be able to tell that anything was done to the center console.
I have yet to drive while watching a movie, nor do I plan to, although my girlfriend watches movies all the time from the passenger side. I do end up playing movies that I've seen before, so I can just listen to the dialog and the sound effects. SuperSpeedway Mach II edition is just incredible in the canopy! The latest thing I've been doing is listening to Director's Commentaries while driving. I just turn off the monitor and listen to Coppola talk about the Godfather Trilogy. To many people, I'm sure all of this is pretty ridiculous. After all, what will come next? A mobile office with a fax, PC, photocopier, and conference phone? ;-)
However, the main reason I did this was to get MP3 capability in my car. Nothing beats having the titles of songs and artists categorized into different folders at your fingertips :)
Don't you agree?

BTW, I don't log on every day, but if you have any questions about the system, please send me a message, or post an inquiry. I would be happy to provide you with info.

Take care all!

[This message has been edited by Yawwn (edited 07 November 2001).]

Oops... I forgot that I will be leaving for a business trip tomorrow, and possibly will not be able to respond until a week later. If you are leaving an inquiry, please do not think I am intentionally avoiding your messages. If you are from the San Diego area, please let me know via email if you would like to hang out. I'll be there for a week at the Town and Country Hotel, and it would be great for my gf and I to meet up with some fellow NSXers.

I also would like to say that I have been a lurker for a fairly long time, but signed up a few months ago. I hope to contribute favorably to the forums and the NSX community as a whole.
This is by far the best group of enthusiasts for ANY subject I've encountered. I've had the pleasure to meet and get to know many of you, and look forward to meeting others that I know only by member name.
I've owned my car for approximately three years, and the car has been bliss, with the exception of the usual gremlins of the car (window regulator, stereo amps, antenna, etc. I luckily didn't get hit by the snap ring failure). But I would like to say that you all have been excellent resources to help me resolve these matters with the most time- and cost-effective methods.
I thank you all!

Originally posted by Yawwn:
Thank you bartonkt. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. The picture seemed to be showing up earlier.

Link doesn't work for me:
You must supply a local referer to get URL '/users/7386e16e/bc/NSX/Dsc00287.jpg?bc6_UO8AOkfQnboa' from this server.
frown.gif

------------------
The NSX Model List Page

E-mail me the photo and I'll post it if you like. Yahoo doesn't always work so well for hosting photos.

Shrek is the total BOMB!!! A must have DVD, especially when you consider it's only a few dollars more than the VHS version.

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

nav2_display_large.jpg

Does SOS sell just the pod for the display shown in the picture?
Or maybe just the pod and the display without the nav system?
I think it makes a very nice clean look.

[This message has been edited by SouthFlaNSX (edited 07 November 2001).]

[This message has been edited by SouthFlaNSX (edited 07 November 2001).]

Originally posted by FuryNSX:
Shrek is the total BOMB!!! A must have DVD, especially when you consider it's only a few dollars more than the VHS version.

I must agree FuryNSX. Shrek is fast becoming one of my favorite DVDs. The feature in which you place your voice into the scene is the coolest thing available for DVD thus far. It's a movie everyone can enjoy. And I got the movie for a steal. Blockbuster had a deal in which if you pay $27, you get one rental a week for ten weeks, plus the DVD for FREE. This was if you purchased before the release date, in case some of you rush off to your neighborhood Blockbuster ;-)

Back