• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Yet Another Passenger Window Thread A Lil Help Please

I did a search and found several similar threads about this, and all seemed to have different solutions, so I thought I'd post my problem and ask for some help please.
Problem - Passenger Window Won't Go Up.
History. About 1 week ago tried to put the window up using the driver's side window switch, didn't work. I reached over and tried the passenger switch, wouldn't go up. I turned off the car, reached over, opened the door, shut it. Turned car back on, reached over, hit the passenger switch and it went up fine. Yay!
Today the passenger side window was halfway down - I tried to use the drivers side window switch to put it up. Didn't work. I reached over and tried passenger side switch. Didn't work. I checked the the driver's side window lock, the passenger side window was unlocked. Since it was halfway down, I tried to put it down using the passenger side. It went down very strognly. I tried to put it up using driver's and passenger's switches. nothing.
So, now it's all the way down and won't go up. To provide some info from a previous thread, here was the action before it was all the way down and won't move...
Using the Master (Driver switch):
- Does the Driver window go up? YES
- Does the Driver window go down? YES
- Does the Passenger window go up? NO
- Does the Passenger window go down? NO

Using the Passenger switch:
- Does the Passenger window go up? NO
- Does the Passenger window go down? YES (motor seemed very strong, no lag.)
So I asked the guy I bought the car from. He said he had the issue once in the past. He replaced the drivers side switch, window lock, etc. But never the passenger side.

Any suggestion on where to start? All of the previous posts had different solutions.
Thanks!

As an added thought, I just remembered that the trunk release switch in the driver's door quit working about 1 week ago. Don't know if it matters or not.

I believe that the trunk release in the drivers door is also controlled by the master switch in the glove box. Maybe it has come loose or accidentally got switched off. But I don't think this has anything to do with the passenger window. That sounds more like a loose connection in the door or maybe in the passenger door switch.

I believe that the trunk release in the drivers door is also controlled by the master switch in the glove box. Maybe it has come loose or accidentally got switched off. But I don't think this has anything to do with the passenger window. That sounds more like a loose connection in the door or maybe in the passenger door switch.

Thanks and good suggestions.......

......So I got up this morning and the passenger window went up just fine using the Drivers side panel. However, I am not willing to risk rolling it down again to test and see if it will go back up.

Update - Still not working.
Story - I ordered a new Passenger side switch and last night I finally had a chance to change it out. When I installed the new PASSENGER Side window switch. It did the same thing. It would not going up using either the passenger side nor the drivers side switch.
However, now that I had the entire door panel off, and the window was all the way down, I could take some pictures and pay closer attention.

When I pressed DOWN using the passenger side switch, (window was all the way down) I could here the window "bump" like the motor would try for a second to make the window go down but of course couldn't because it was down.
But, when I hit UP, there was nothing, no bump, no noise, like it wasn't getting any juice. So I pulled apart off the plastic water shield and took some pics (below). I tried to clean up any dirty or loose connections, and....

I also noticed the big brown connector was unplugged, so I read some forums and it seems it's for the original speakers? Please confirm someone...

I then put re-taped up the plastic water shield (the pics are before I re-taped it up much cleaner than the pics show) and put the panel back on. Still didn't work. So I took the whole thing off again to make sure I didn't miss anything. ANd it still didn't work. I shut the door, cleaned up my tools. I Went over to the driver's s side. Started the car, and the window went up using the DRIVERS switch. (This is what happened before when I started this thread, it wouldn't go up until a day later using only the drivers side switch, but would go down using either).
So here's the pics if they help. Any suggestions what to next please????? Oh, I do have remote key access to the car if that make any difference.
THanks in advance for your help!!!

I'm not sure what the pink "goo" is on the back side of the connectors. I don't recall seeing that on my '96 or a friend's '91. If not OEM, it could have been someone's attemp to "waterproof" the connector. The danger is if some of the stuff seeped onto one or more of the connector pins. I would try a cotton swab (Q-tip) soaked in rubbing alcohol to clean all connector pins.

If you have an Ohmmeter, I'd check the continuity of all the wires. Its a pain in the butt, but may be necessary. You can also use the meter on the driver's side switchto see if it is functioning at all pins. But, my WAG is that you may have a broken wire or non-contacting connector pin between the driver's side door and the passenger door switch.

I'm making the rash assumption you have the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual. If not, PM me and I can send you files of the relevant pages.

I'd say stop by my house with the car, but its a long drive & boat ride, and you probably don't want to wait until we visit our friends again in Kailua in the next year or two.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the pink "goo" is on the back side of the connectors. I don't recall seeing that on my '96 or a friend's '91. If not OEM, it could have been someone's attemp to "waterproof" the connector. The danger is if some of the stuff seeped onto one or more of the connector pins. I would try a cotton swab (Q-tip) soaked in rubbing alcohol to clean all connector pins.

If you have an Ohmmeter, I'd check the continuity of all the wires. Its a pain in the butt, but may be necessary. You can also use the meter on the driver's side switchto see if it is functioning at all pins. But, my WAG is that you may have a broken wire or non-contacting connector pin between the driver's side door and the passenger door switch.

I'm making the rash assumption you have the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual. If not, PM me and I can send you files of the relevant pages.

I'd say stop by my house with the car, but its a long drive & boat ride, and you probably don't want to wait until we visit our friends again in Kailua in the next year or two.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to test with an Ohmmeter tonight. And yes, it's a long boat/drive to NJ, I wonder what kind of MPG I'd get on the Pacific??

Sound like the motor for the power window (regulator assembly) that is broken. I had a similar thing with one of my passenger windows on my 3.5RL, window would go down but not up unless I pulled up on it and had someone push the window up button. The regulator is in your last picture that you posted. When I took mine out of my car the cable was frayed and it was kind of obvious that something was not right. Check out Hugabaga thread on window fix, he shows how to take the regulator apart with a lot of good pictures. He also explains on how to tape the window when it is up so that when you take the regulator off you do not have to realign the window. As without the regulator the window will fall down into the door.

Such an odd thing, Frank was very, very helpful and kind enough to send me some manual scans and help. I went and got an Ohmmeter, and before I started testing, it began working and has been working perfectly since. It's a little slow going up, so maybe the motor?

So I ended up purchasing a new regulator for the passenger window, and before I installed it I bought and did Hugo's window upgrade kit.
It has been working great since.

Sometime in the future, I plan to pull out the driver's side and doing the upgrade kit on that one as well.
Thanks again for everyone's help.

I've exhausted my options on my passenger window not going up. I've replaced the switch and the regulator with new ones, and even did hugo's window upgrade kit to the new regulator before installing it. Everything worked great for a few weeks, then it happened again, the passenger window would go down, but not up. I've read and tried about every forum I can find on it. In an older post it was said

"I removed the glove box and checked it to that point and it was fine. I ended up at the left kick panel, located the BLU/GRN wire there and was able to wiggle it around a bit. BINGO, the passenger window is now working from both sides again." Do you mean the kick panel at the passenger's left foot? Is this where the loose BLU/GRN wire is?

Now when my issue happens, it won't go down or up using driver's side. It will go down, but not up using passenger's side. This is reversed from my issue before.

Have you checked the drivers switch per the service manual? The switches are in series so if the driver switch is bad, the passenger switch also won't work. I would also unplug all the connectors to the motor in the passenger door and from the switches in both doors and check for corrosion in the connectors and plug them back in. I also would do the same thing to the connectors for each door wiring harness which are located behind the driver and passenger kick panels.

You can also do voltage checks at the connector for the passenger window motor while someone operates the switches.

Mike

Checked all switches, and both grounds yesterday. Damn getting in that left kick panel is tight!
All voltage checked out fine, so still stumped. The previous owner said he had replaced the driver side switch awhile ago, but I'm thinking I might get a new one anyways as I can't seem to find the problem do matter what I test.
At this point I've tested all wiring, grounds, replaced passenger switch, replaced passenger regulator with a Hugo Upgrade Kit.

Back