• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Your impressions of ACURA 3.2 TL...

We're looking at a 2000 3.2TL to replace my fiance's POS chevy. Just wondering what kinds of problems to look out for...I've heard of auto trans problems but wasnt sure what year that affected.

The one we are looking at is diamond pearl white. non nav, 50k miles, all other options.

thanks,

mc

Last edited:
chumch said:
We're looking at a 2000 3.2TL to replace my fiance's POS chevy. Just wondering what kinds of problems to look out for...I've heard of auto trans problems but wasnt sure what year that affected.

The one we are looking at is diamond pearl white. non nav, 50k miles, all other options.

thanks,

mc

Effected tranny years are from 2000 to mid 2003 I think. I own a new 2002 S type and with less then 50k miles on mine I am on tranny number 3. Acura has extended the warranty on the tranny to 100k miles but I would just rather not have the worry. For the best and most accurate info go to

http://tl.acurazine.com/

Acura NsX Pilot said:
Effected tranny years are from 2000 to mid 2003 I think. I own a new 2002 S type and with less then 50k miles on mine I am on tranny number 3. Acura has extended the warranty on the tranny to 100k miles but I would just rather not have the worry. For the best and most accurate info go to

There are more then a few owners of this car on NsxPrime and im sure they will chime in as well. I did a search but could not find the threads on here where the car was discussed but I am sure you find more then enough info on acurazine.

Acura NsX Pilot said:

Affected. :smile:

My wife has a 2000 TL with over 120k with no problems, even the auto trans has held up well. Regular and scheduled services are performed at Hilltop Auto, it's one of the best cars I've bought, besides the "X" and my Element.

George

Had considered purchasing 2002 TL in 2002. Did extensive research on the vehicle and discovered too many instances of trannys failing -- too many for my comfort level, even though TL was my vehicle of choice. Ended up with 2003 G35 -- now has 70,000 miles with absolutely no problems.

Honda auto trannies are usually only prone to failure on V6 vehicles such as the TL, but problems actually date back to 1998. You won't hear about many problems with 03s since it hasn't affected some yet.

I've had Honda tranny failure on my Accord. I got 50/50 goodwill and a new/same model tranny, which is prone to the same problems.

The TL is great, but just not worth it IMHO knowing the tranny can fail, and the replacement unit can too. Despite the fact Honda still gave me goodwill at 101K miles, it's not enough to keep me as a Honda customer anymore. (Originally diagnosed at 75K miles) I just don't see any excuse for this.

If you're really set on this car though, make sure you get the extended (3 or 5yr I think) powertrain warranty from Acura if this is a CPO car.

Good luck!

beeker16 said:
Honda auto trannies are usually only prone to failure on V6 vehicles such as the TL, but problems actually date back to 1998. You won't hear about many problems with 03s since it hasn't affected some yet.

I've had Honda tranny failure on my Accord. I got 50/50 goodwill and a new/same model tranny, which is prone to the same problems.

The TL is great, but just not worth it IMHO knowing the tranny can fail, and the replacement unit can too. Despite the fact Honda still gave me goodwill at 101K miles, it's not enough to keep me as a Honda customer anymore. (Originally diagnosed at 75K miles) I just don't see any excuse for this.

If you're really set on this car though, make sure you get the extended (3 or 5yr I think) powertrain warranty from Acura if this is a CPO car.

Good luck!

Other affected models include Honda Oddessy and some early Acura MDX's

Back