• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

93 Berlina Repaint to 2018 NSX Nord Grey Metallic

Updates added regularly, check all pages!

A little background on me, i was the build director for the Clarion Builds 91 NSX with the CTSC 3.2/6 speed swap. The day we acquired that 91 with 230K miles for the Clarion Builds project, i took one drive in it and knew that i too had to eventually get one. About three months into the build, i found a decent deal on a fairly low mile 93 advertised to be in 9.5 out of 10 condition (i would have called it a 7), and long story short, I bought the car sight unseen and shipped it to California. On the plus side, the car was mechanically sound, interior was clean, body was never in a crash, but it had its fair share of dings and scratches and a small crack by the tow hook area of the front bumper.

3 years into owning the car, I finally got the itch to go a little nuts with it. For the most part, i've pumped money into it, catching it up on much needed maintenance (TB/WP, valve adjustment, cam seals, VTEC seals, fluids, etc.), sorting out minor gripes with the PO's lack of care for the vehicle, replacing things that have been removed, worn out or lost since it was new, etc. As for custom work, all i've done up until now is change the audio system out for a Clarion system, put on later model wheels, paint the calipers and tint the windows. Now, that you're caught up with my slow progress, let's talk about where i am today.

About two months ago, i decided that it was time to repaint the 93. It looked okay from 10 feet away in indirect light, but its Berlina Black was swirly, pitted, chipped, and just not in the condition that i think an NSX deserves to be in. Thanks to my history with the Clarion Builds cars, as well as my group of friends, who all have their own restorations/project cars going on, I have made some friends in the Auto Body industry. So, after a discussion about painting the NSX along with my 92 Subaru SVX, a deal was worked out and i shipped both cars to be repainted in their factory original colors.

For three weeks, while the guys at the shop in Pasadena tore down, stripped and prepped the NSX for paint, I contemplated changing its color. Honestly though, I gave it very little thought since I originally told the shop that i wanted to keep it Berlina... I was mostly sure that was they direction i was going to go, but from the moment my cars were loaded into the transporter the voice in my head was provoking me to do something different. When the time came to finally shit or get off the pot so to speak about paint color, I attended a cars and coffee and saw a 2018 NSX in Nord Gray for the first time in person. In that second, I figuratively shat and was free to get off the pot. Lol. My mind was made, that color looks insane! From some angles it's the most perfect shade of dark gun metal gray, from other angles you see a hint of Brooklands green, and the metallic flake just makes the lines of the new NSX look great! Truth be told, I am not actually a fan of the new NSX, my preference will always be the first gen...

The next morning, I called the shop and told them that plans have changed, we're painting the NSX Nord Gray Metallic, keeping the roof black (as all NSXs should be in my mind).

IF YOU DON'T WANNA READ MY RAMBLING ABOUT WHAT LED TO THE DECISION TO PAINT THE CAR NORD GRAY, SKIP TO HERE!

Before shots of the car:

33535224042_56a705e4d6_z.jpg

43138614345_f78f48e7a5_z.jpg

43138615245_7f2ec706fa_z.jpg

43996233422_d16cf2f7e7_z.jpg

Looks alright in photos, but trust me, it was far from perfect.

Shot of all the imperfections:

43138583745_559db3d0d7_z.jpg

43138584195_1f13e8336a_z.jpg

44044578121_06fbab7580_z.jpg

44044578121_06fbab7580_z.jpg

44044578871_d4c3a2bdff_z.jpg

43138584875_5560168d84_z.jpg

43138585075_6914dca4c6_z.jpg

43138585345_93c071627a_z.jpg

Shots of the Body Work Getting Done:

42235565900_c2b81749a5_z.jpg

30176679658_ffe01bfc80_z.jpg

30176676548_5e075dfc15_z.jpg

42235565150_22052656bd_z.jpg

30176678968_bdeb0e3173_z.jpg

42235563820_8542fcfcc6_z.jpg

42235563400_01b0df5928_z.jpg

42235563100_8fa5771a10_z.jpg

42235562800_87c5049d2a_z.jpg

42235562360_ed41837a8a_z.jpg

42235561680_2e012ee92a_z.jpg

30176677608_7cdfd521d5_z.jpg

Shots of the Paint Getting Laid Down:

43324912984_2b4519b21f_z.jpg

43324910094_3cedf133f7_z.jpg

29106621337_5b39c7f4de_z.jpg

44043443711_7711846ed1_z.jpg

29106622017_560a7f29ed_z.jpg

44043444331_1becfe05f6_z.jpg

More photos to come as they paint the rest of the car tomorrow, and put it all back together toward the end of the week.

Last edited:
A little background on me, i was the build director for the Clarion Builds 91 NSX with the CTSC 3.2/6 speed swap.....As for custom work, all i've done up until now is change the audio system out for a Clarion system....

Firstly, the Clarion blue nsx is fabulous. You guys did a fantastic job taking care of all the details and still making it tasteful. Looks like the build put a good impression since you had to get your own. :)

I would have laugh if you did not put a Clarion in your own car.

Can't wait to see the finish product.

love the passion!

Thanks for the notes. I'm excited to soon get the car back! While I love originality, there are so many black NSXs out there that i didn't think the community would miss one. :smile: Plus, since it was getting stripped down to be repainted anyway, i figured now was as good a time as any to replace the shrunken windshield seal, the nasty cracked NSX emblem on the hood and bolt on a PRIDE exhaust. All progress will be shared. Car should hopefully be done in about a week.

Last edited:
Love this thread! Great detail on what needs to come off for a color change (a need that is important to me :)) Are you doing the hood/trunk and door jambs too?

Everything is coming off. Doors have been removed, jambs are being done too. I am not painting the engine compartment since my car was originally black. It's going to look just fine in black, plus i wont have to remove the engine, rear suspension and peel off the original emissions stickers (a no no here in California).

Last edited:
Out of curiosity what was the driving force behind a full repaint instead of a wrap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with paint vs a wrap mostly because the car needed body work. While i had PDR done, there were just too many imperfections that couldn't be massaged out that would show under a wrap.

what wheels will you use?

what wheels will you use?

Good question. I love the Ray's ZE40s (we used those on the Clarion car), I like the BBS CI-R style wheels used on the new NSX. I just don't know yet though. I need to figure out what i want to do with the suspension first before i figure out the wheel situation.

color with the nord will be a very personal decision.suspenion should be the best you can afford.

color with the nord will be a very personal decision.suspenion should be the best you can afford.

Agreed! There are just so many options. But, considering this isn't going to be a track car, i don't really know how far i should go with it. We did KW V3s on the Clarion car. I liked it, but it definitely changed the driving dynamic.

Per the wheels, while i do plan on upgrading, oddly enough, the wheels on my car now for all intents and purposes are NOS. They have less than 1,500 total miles on them, not a single nick, bump or scratch on them. I bought them from another NSX owner who got them as an extra set when he purchased his 20K mile 96 Midnight Pearl car. The PO pulled the chrome 7 spokes off the day he bought the car in 96 and they were boxed up in storage ever since. I bolted them on my car about 1500 miles ago. Chrome definitely isn't my favorite look, but this set of wheels in their condition is almost unicorn in nature. Perhaps somebody here on Prime will want them bad enough to help fund my wheel purchase.

Subscribed ... do love a dark grey NSX ... only slightly biased you understand ;)

Ref suspension, something to consider perhaps ...

I replaced the OEM struts with Bilsteins, retained the OEM springs and set them on the lower perch. Currently running on the OEM 17’s with 15/25 spacers and my NSX has a great stance to go with improved handling. Plus, this set up retains the OEM cruising comfort ...

Look forward to further updates ...

Which shop in Pasadena did you use to paint the car?

I went with Bells & Vaughn for a few reasons, and proximity isn't one of them, as these guys are 70 miles away from where i'm at.

My reasons: First, I know these guys and know that they do great work! Second, they use Sikkens paint, blows PPG, BASF, Glasurit out of the water! Sikkens is OE paint for Ferrari, Aston, McLaren, Mercedes and a bunch of other high-end marquees. And third and perhaps the most important, they are true car enthusiasts that take pride in their work. They've been in the game since 1946 for a reason.

That color looks incredible!

As a side note, I wish we had access to decent bodyshops here in Austin, I don't know anyone who's had a good experience with any of the local shops.

Maybe we should start a thread on Prime about body shops that us members have experience with, those that we know are familiar with the NSX and get our endorsement for quality of work? I'm sure there has to be some great shops in your area that somebody on here has gone to.

So you won't make fun of me if I get JRZ RS Pro's and re-valve them for 200lb springs. :tongue:

hmmm...kinda like a penis reduction surgery.................:biggrin:

I went with Bells & Vaughn for a few reasons, and proximity isn't one of them, as these guys are 70 miles away from where i'm at.

My reasons: First, I know these guys and know that they do great work! Second, they use Sikkens paint, blows PPG, BASF, Glasurit out of the water! Sikkens is OE paint for Ferrari, Aston, McLaren, Mercedes and a bunch of other high-end marquees. And third and perhaps the most important, they are true car enthusiasts that take pride in their work. They've been in the game since 1946 for a reason.

Thanks for the info. Btw, I stopped by Clarion not too long ago with my NSX when I visited your head of IT, my good friend and another NSX owner. Maybe I can swing by another day when you get your car back, and I'll ask Steve to bring his as well.

Thanks for the info. Btw, I stopped by Clarion not too long ago with my NSX when I visited your head of IT, my good friend and another NSX owner. Maybe I can swing by another day when you get your car back, and I'll ask Steve to bring his as well.

There is actually myself (contractor for Clarion) and three other actual Clarion employees that own an NSX, Steve being one of them. For sure! In a few weeks, maybe we can have our own little NSXPO meet up at Clarion HQ.

Can't wait to see the final product! Looks like lots of love for the NSX up at Clarion.

Back