• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

95 - 02 Coupes

The deal breaker for me is really the engine choices. The fact that they probably aren't going to be practically new NSX-R engines is really a buzz kill considering the price. I was so optimistic about this project at the on set what with the death of the NSX successor. But the further this gets from genuine NSX-R the harder it is to justify the price. :frown:

Guess I'm back in the market for a Coupe.

Well the NSX-R engine is a NSX engine that's been blue printed and balanced. The NSX-R ecu makes a big difference as the throttle and ABS maps are changed. Those things are included with the Spoon however the Spoon engine 3.0 is rated as at 300 and the 3.5 is rated at 350. You can also get a 3.2 but I don't know what the hp is ( 320 is a good guess ) though. It's in most ways an NSX-R plus. They've made some great improvements over the standard R.

Price will probably kill this car to most current NSX owners. The NSX is still by most even a lot of owners considered a discount Ferrari until they can get an F car. Most balk at the price of what new NSXs cost and when I joined prime new car owners were flamed quite a bit. Apparently the NSX isn't worth anything new but "used" is a good deal.

When they were first talking $60k just for conversion people were howling so I knew when they started talking over $100k people would start to diss it. NSX has become a "value" limited car and even though the Spoon is a custom limited edition car most here would rather go used Ferrari or Lambo or R8 for that kind of money.

i wonder what car that light weight alt is from. what is the weight of the factory VS this unit?

same question goes for the motor mounts and bumper beams (if any)

I did not read the entire thread so I may be missing some information.

But did you guys noticed the spoiler is NOT OEM? So is the under the hood bucket/heat deflector is also not OEM!

The OEM wheels, brake system and suspension system is also replaced, which by my definition, really can't be considered as a Type R without the suspension.

In my opinion, if you have a coupe, all of the essential NSX-R dress-up goodies can be obtained, except the rubbers they used for the door and dash cover.

The stuff that cannot be done, at least I have tried with no luck, not even talking to several guys from Japan:
-OEM Diff
-The Harness from ECU to the gauge set to for the shift lights.
and
-The ECU is important but I remember reading some where the Hyper Rev a different TB component was used, I believe it was the harness (I have no idea what it is for).

Other than cool factor, I really don't think it is worth the money. I guess I shouldn't say that, I'll still take one if I have money to spare, and I'll take the 3.5. I would have them put in the ITB for me with tuning.

The stuff I really don't care either way is the under body sound dampening material.

I did not read the entire thread so I may be missing some information.

But did you guys noticed the spoiler is NOT OEM? So is the under the hood bucket/heat deflector is also not OEM!

The OEM wheels, brake system and suspension system is also replaced, which by my definition, really can't be considered as a Type R without the suspension.

In my opinion, if you have a coupe, all of the essential NSX-R dress-up goodies can be obtained, except the rubbers they used for the door and dash cover.

The stuff that cannot be done, at least I have tried with no luck, not even talking to several guys from Japan:
-OEM Diff
-The Harness from ECU to the gauge set to for the shift lights.
and
-The ECU is important but I remember reading some where the Hyper Rev a different TB component was used, I believe it was the harness (I have no idea what it is for).

Other than cool factor, I really don't think it is worth the money. I guess I shouldn't say that, I'll still take one if I have money to spare, and I'll take the 3.5. I would have them put in the ITB for me with tuning.

The stuff I really don't care either way is the under body sound dampening material.

I didn't notice that stuff until you told me.

Why would the suspension be the type R defining point to you as that's one of the easiest things to get:confused: The chassis itself is the biggest stickler to me but the first NSX-R was built on this chassis. I guess the biggest stickler should be that it's LHD as no Type R from Honda was ever a LHD of that's the whole point of this car.

Yeah the OEM diff is not working is the hardest for me to understand not being plug and play. It should work on a Zanardi w/o problem as that has a non steering rack and is the only NA2 w/o power steering and Dali even sells the diff parts that work with the 6 speed but still everyone says it won't ...WTH

ECU should also be plug and play but Honda set it up so that you have to have certain JDM parts for it to work. It makes me nuts when people think that a real NSX-R conversion can be done but say so many of the things that make you me want it can't be done to my car or any other sold in the US.

The Spoon is the only car that includes the little/big stuff that I want but as you've pointed out Vance they're missing somethings as well. According to Edmun all the Type R stuff can be put including wheels and suspension ,brakes but those things are the items Spoon is using to make improvements on the car.

I love how they lightened the car about 440 over a stock NSX-R. That's just incredible. I do agree with you on the price ,but seems like there's no other way besides living in Japan to do this if wanting NSX-R is burning a hole in your brain:biggrin:

I guess this thread got alittle off topic. As i was saying the rear-end of the spoon looks terrible, whats everyone else think about the rear-end ? Maybe i'll buy one for the seats and then sell it .

Last edited:
I guess this thread got alittle off topic. As i was saying the rear-end of the spoon looks terrible, whats everyone else think about the rear-end ? Maybe i'll buy one for the seats and then sell it .

Well it's actually a Honda rear end as it's from the NSX-R GT. Wasn't a fan of either from pictures but after seeing it at the track I like it especially since it's functional.

I'll take it w/o the seats when you sell:biggrin:

I'll take it w/o the seats when you sell:biggrin:

Funny man !

I didn't know it was HONDA made wow ! I am not crazy about the front end either, i need to see it in person to really make an opinion. I remember seeing the lamborghini murcielago when it came in pictures , and i liked it, but when i saw it in person for the first time i couldn't believe my eyes. ( Same thing happen to me with seeing the ENZO for the first time )

Funny man !

I didn't know it was HONDA made wow ! I am not crazy about the front end either, i need to see it in person to really make an opinion. I remember seeing the lamborghini murcielago when it came in pictures , and i liked it, but when i saw it in person for the first time i couldn't believe my eyes. ( Same thing happen to me with seeing the ENZO for the first time )

Dude I'm serious as hell as that's a good twenty grand off the price w/o the seats ..LOL I'll slap some recaro Profi Spa's in and roll out!

I was the same way with the S2000 CR as in pictures it was overdone and ricey looking but when I saw one in person it was like "Wow" everything looked great and it was about as ricey as a 911 GT3.

The front is super functional for downforce and both pieces apparently offer great weight savings compared to stock.

in regards to taking out the dash and putting it back in (dash swap), why would the car not be the same?

Couldn't someone as experienced as KANE do a good enough of job upholstering the interior and putting it back in without damaging anything?

Just out of curiosity, more so related back to the original topic, aside from what this thread should have been is there a thread that would be considered a "Coupe Watch" thread where tabs are kept on the 95 and up coupes? Or is it just a new thread as they come type thing?

If I were in the market for a coupe I'd make it a daily morning ritual to log onto:

1. NSX Prime For Sale Section
2. Autotrader
3. Cars.com

One will turn up eventually...heck maybe you'll find someone selling a Zanardi?

If I were in the market for a coupe I'd make it a daily morning ritual to log onto:

1. NSX Prime For Sale Section
2. Autotrader
3. Cars.com

One will turn up eventually...heck maybe you'll find someone selling a Zanardi?

+1 Morning especially as they used to go fast.

Also shouldn't Zanardis have dropped as well since newer NSXs are down?

Also shouldn't Zanardis have dropped as well since newer NSXs are down?

Come on bro, we're talking about Zanardi's...let's get serious:biggrin:

Come on bro, we're talking about Zanardi's...let's get serious:biggrin:

LOL Says a friggen owner:rolleyes:

Of course I'll feel differently after I get mine.

Well the NSX-R engine is a NSX engine that's been blue printed and balanced. The NSX-R ecu makes a big difference as the throttle and ABS maps are changed.

I just saw this old thread revived.

It's hard to ask this without sounding like I'm being rude but, do you know this to be fact?

If so, where did you get this information from? Was there some factory documentation for this? Not he said, she said or someone told me, but authentic written documentation?

I think it's certainly possible, even likley but, I would like to know for sure if this is fact or folklore.

Last edited:
I just saw this old thread revived.

It's hard to ask this without sounding like I'm being rude but, do you know this to be fact?

If so, where did you get this information from? Was there some factory documentation for this? Not he said, she said or someone told me, but authentic written documentation?

I think it's certainly possible, even likley but, I would like to know for sure if this is fact or folklore.

Yes it's fact. I have the NSX-R brochure. It the whole wonderful part english part Japanese. One of the pages has a graph showing throttle response for regular NSX and NSX-R. They have a graph on page 10. Big difference between the two. From the look of the graph it's acceleration should feel very different from stock.

Of course the kicker we can all thank Honda for is that the NSX-R ECU won't work with our cars. Thanks Honda:rolleyes:

Of course the kicker we can all thank Honda for is that the NSX-R ECU won't work with our cars. Thanks Honda:rolleyes:

Isn't that because the gasoline in Japan is a different quality than what we have here in the U.S.A?

So again, graph aside, it clearly states that the NSX-R engine is balanced and blueprinted ?

Last edited:
Isn't that because the gasoline in Japan is a different quality than what we have here in the U.S.A?

So again, graph aside, it clearly states that the NSX-R engine is balanced and blueprinted ?

Please take a look here: http://world.honda.com/NSX/technology/

It's the Honda world-wide site. It "officially" stated under Further enhancing the original NSX-R's performance envelope:

-Race engine-like balancing of clutch cover, fly wheel, and crank pulley
-Race engine-like balancing and blueprinting of pistons and connecting rods
-........and a whole lot more information about NSX-R

There is also a Japanese version of this, which can be found on the internet and has more details. Honda's localization team dropped some information in translation.

Please take a look here: http://world.honda.com/NSX/technology/

It's the Honda world-wide site. It "officially" stated under Further enhancing the original NSX-R's performance envelope:

-Race engine-like balancing of clutch cover, fly wheel, and crank pulley
-Race engine-like balancing and blueprinting of pistons and connecting rods
-........and a whole lot more information about NSX-R

There is also a Japanese version of this, which can be found on the internet and has more details. Honda's localization team dropped some information in translation.

Thanks JAS! Here ya go PB
http://world.honda.com/NSX/technology/t5.html

"The electronically-controlled Drive by Wire (DBW) throttle has been tuned to reach full throttle at a pedal angle reduced from the previous 81 degrees to 68 degrees, resulting in an accelerator pedal stroke reduction of some 8mm. At the same time, pedal control has been tuned for increased pedal weight. The result is a more solid pedal feel with a more instantaneous, direct throttle response. Even if the driver's foot is jarred by outside forces on the circuit, the system has been tuned not to drastically change the throttle angle."

Thank you! That is a very good information.

What a drag we never got this car in the States. I wonder, did they do anything similar to the motor/drivetrain/throttle of the S2000 CR?

Last edited:
Back