• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

997 Daily Driver

I am thinking about getting a 05-06 Porsche 997 as a daily driver. The Porsche can fit a carseat in the back seat so I can pick up my 4 year old from school if my wife has to work late.

My commute is about 86 miles each day with my 05 Acura RL , no problems just tires. My concern with the 997 is reliability over years. This would be a 5 year old Porsche with probably no warranty.

What do you guys think or comments.

I think it's a great choice. How much of that commute is in stop and go traffic? If a lot, then you may not want to go the manual route. However, I think that buying any Porsche with the tiptronic is a shame.

Chris I went from my Imola NSX to my 06 Carrera 997.

I had the 997 for 6 months but wished I had waited for something like the Carrera S or Carrera 4S. Anyway I've just sold my 997 as I had it serviced and couldn't get over the cost. Not that I was surprised but it was a lot more than I expected (could be Dubai dealers but seems to be a common point in Porsche ownership). My car also had rattles that made me question its past history even though it was clean. So considering I'm on the fence to car ownership and had an interested party I sold it. I paid $41k for it and sold it for $43k with 39k miles.

As a daily driver its superb. Feels quicker than a NSX and the driving position is awesome. You like I have a little one so the backseat is a consideration if this vehicle is your only mode of transport or need to occasionally pick the little one up.

I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'll go with another NSX as the 911 was great. I'd like to be able to carry golf clubs, my road bike, and hockey gear which the 911 can do. The NSX not as much. However, the NSX can fit two sets of golf clubs in the trunk and carry a passenger whereas the 911 simply has no real space for golf clubs (now they sit in the passenger seat).

But if I were to give you one piece of advice get a 997 with a warranty! Especially if you are considering an 05 model as the IMS bearing issue is present and there have been alot of engines lost. Early 06 Porsche modified the design and you never hear of 06-08's suffering.

Check out Rennlist.com for the most reputable website of 911 owners. 6speedonline is a nice second choice and seems a younger crowd.

Just buy a CPO car. Also the 997's can turn front passenger airbag on/off so you can put your kid in the front with a booster too. I take my 7 y/o to school quite often in mine.

Last edited:
The 2005 RL is a good wife that cleans and cooks, don't look for a romance with a hot blond that likes expensive gifts :)

I am thinking about getting a 05-06 Porsche 997 as a daily driver. The Porsche can fit a carseat in the back seat so I can pick up my 4 year old from school if my wife has to work late.

My commute is about 86 miles each day with my 05 Acura RL , no problems just tires. My concern with the 997 is reliability over years. This would be a 5 year old Porsche with probably no warranty.

I purchased a then new 08 997S after selling my 1998 NSX and couldn't be happier. It's an amazing vehicle and IMO, the best sports car I've ever owned.

I don't daily drive mine (it's a 3rd car) but I've put 12,000 miles in about 2.5 years on it and have not had any problems. It's comfortable, really quick, and has very easy ingress/egress. It's also a very practical day to day car (I used mine earlier this morning to do a dry cleaner, bank, donate books to the library and donate three boxes of goodies to Salvation Army run today with my wife).

The only caveat I have is that if something on these cars do break, it's very, very expensive to fix. I'd seriously consider spending a bit more for a Porsche CPO car if you're not going to buy new.

Good luck.

PS - as someone else posted above there are some truly excellent online resources available for Porsche. Rennlist is an excellent starting point but also check with the Porsche Club of America and the Porsche Owner's Club. You'll learn a ton, find like minded enthusiasts no matter where you are in the country and probably find an excellent mechanic to boot.

I have a 997 Turbo Cab as my "2nd" car but it could very easily be my daily.

Super easy car to drive... and with the sport chrono package, at the press of a button the cars suspension goes from soft to track ready. I've put more miles on my 997 in 8 months of ownership than I did in two years with my '03 NSX.

...And I always found the NSX to be super comfortable.... the Porsche is just a step above that, and the back seats are key when it comes to kids (of which I have two!)

I'm actually considering letting my S4 go when it's lease is up and just driving the 997 daily. (and why not, with heated seats, nav, blue tooth, awd, auto dimming mirrors, etc etc.)

Chris - A very good friend of mine in MD just bought a 05 997. So far, he seems to be very pleased with it. He plans to take the car out to Summit Point in a couple months and test it out. :)

what 996 model?

997 911 front-conversions (namely headlights) on 996 911 are done & seem to be not overly, prohibitively expensive (ie. much less than that of '02+ NSX front-conversion). However, the Porsche enthusiast community seems to look down upon such as they perceive it to be emulating the 997 form (read: posing) while owning a 996 example.

Personally speaking, I'd do it if I was keen for such regardless of what others would say. It's not necessarily wanting a 997 but rather the traditional Porsche oval headlights being preferable (to me) & that's all that matters.

Then again, this is only relevant if the the 997 front (namely headlights) are desired. I'm sure 996 front-fascia is also coveted by many.

Re: what 996 model?

997 911 front-conversions (namely headlights) on 996 911 are done & seem to be not overly, prohibitively expensive (ie. much less than that of '02+ NSX front-conversion). However, the Porsche enthusiast community seems to look down upon such as they perceive it to be emulating the 997 form (read: posing) while owning a 996 example.

Personally speaking, I'd do it if I was keen for such regardless of what others would say. It's not necessarily wanting a 997 but rather the traditional Porsche oval headlights being preferable (to me) & that's all that matters.

Then again, this is only relevant if the the 997 front (namely headlights) are desired. I'm sure 996 front-fascia is also coveted by many.

I have a 997 and I would never look down on anyone who did a conversion. I for one prefer the 997 headlights as well, and would probably do my best to make it look that way. Heck, I bet with a little vinyl you could just about blend any 996 headlight to look round.

There's a GT3 clone for sale that was a 996 that took some body damage, but now is a 997 look alike... until you look inside the car. I think that's pretty cool.

Being a diehard Porsche guy, I have not been able to stomach the 996. All these years, the 911 looks cute and pleasant with its smiling face. The 996 OTOH looks butt ugly. I wanted to pick up a 996 Turbo for its awesome performance but just cannot do it due to those terrible headlights.
Steve

Get it. Porsches are reliable if you take care of them. The only people who have a problem with putting mileage on Porsches and high end cars are uptight Americans who only bought them to show off anyway. There are PLENTY of 200,000 + mile Porsches all over the world.

Back