• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

And so it begins...the Quest for 200 in an NSX.

There's some guys on youtube who took their NA1 NSX to redline in 5th gear. In the comments they said the only trick is to make sure the alignment is PERFECT.
Other than that, they said it was stable.
From what I've seen, anything over 150-160, the front gets really light feeling. Too scary for me. The Type-R hood and under-tray probably fixes that?

You should team with SOS to make a "200mph kit". Everything you need to do 200mph...

Last edited:
I don't know if I'd do 200 first shot out of the box. I'd probably do multiple runs in the 160-170 range then progressively work your way up in 10 mph increments.
Personally, I have never been over 145 in a car while driving and it is a rush but damn; if something goes wrong, it takes A LONG time to stop!

What will happen in the event of a transmission or engine failure or something comes loose? I swear there is a Lambo video where the chute pops out and it does not end well.

My only other advice is to make sure your life insurance is paid up.

That is about 190MPH, right?
(With stock tire diameter)

GPS measured two way average of 186mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=W5EmrML3p1U

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W5EmrML3p1U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some of the comments from the video:

"An NSX generally feels as stable at ~190mph as it does at 60. The scenery just goes by much quicker, you hear the engine roar, and it's a lot more fun! During this run, however, the car felt a bit squirrelly. One of the CV joint boots had just been replaced and my shop didn't realign the suspension afterwards. When the suspension is properly aligned, the car is totally stable all the way up to top speed."

"No, it's not stock. It has a foam air filter, polished intake manifold, ported heads, high lift camshafts, headers, and a sports muffler. But it is still a naturally aspirated 3.0 with a stock bottom end and a stock 5-speed transmission. And yes, that was 299 km/h in one direction and 301 in the other."

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure you only need one thing.... Fat wallet :)

lol. True. The trick is doing 200mph in under 2.5 miles from a stop. That's where money is needed.
I would think a supercharged NSX could do 200 all day long on the autobahn where you can take a few miles to make it happen.

Last edited:
I think a supercharged NSX would probably need an intercooler to break 200 mph. rsevo6 and goldNSX here on Prime put CTSCs on their NSXs and both independently found that the top speeds of their cars dropped to about 160 mph. Presumably because the CTSC gets so hot during extended high rpm full throttle driving that it heats the intake air (or maybe just the IAT sensor?) enough for the engine management computer to start pulling ignition timing. But the cars definitely accelerate faster over short distances.

GPS measured two way average of 186mph.

… and a one-way 189 mph (304 km/h).

304_kmh.jpg

That was on public roads without a roll cage or parachute but was perfectly legal. The car felt completely stable and others drive faster than that all the time in Germany. Imagine the lawsuits and negative publicity if cars started falling apart at top speed!

Last edited:
I think a supercharged NSX would probably need an intercooler to break 200 mph. rsevo6 and goldNSX here on Prime put CTSCs on their NSXs and both independently found that the top speeds of their cars dropped to about 160 mph. Presumably because the CTSC gets so hot during extended high rpm full throttle driving that it heats the intake air (or maybe just the IAT sensor?) enough for the engine management computer to start pulling ignition timing. But the cars definitely accelerate faster over short distances.

… and a one-way 189 mph (304 km/h).

304_kmh.jpg

That was on public roads without a roll cage or parachute but was perfectly legal. The car felt completely stable and others drive faster than that all the time in Germany. Imagine the lawsuits and negative publicity if cars started falling apart at top speed!

Great posts. While I certainly approach any speed attempt with a huge amount of respect for the dangers involved, I also agree with the idea that a car like the NSX does not suddenly explode at high speed. In fact, the dangers of a speed run are often tires, wind, and driver error, all of which can be managed, at least to a degree.

Life is a dangerous enterprise; one can embrace it or hide in the back bedroom out of fear of the unknown. Quantify the risk, evaluate the reward, THEN MOVE FORWARD.

As you can see from my signature I did 185mph on GPS with only 400 rwhp. The car has stock 17-16" wheels and was just about on the limiter so if you use a larger diameter tire with 500 rwhp I would imagine your goal is at hand. My car was perfectly stable at that speed other than the windows sounded like they going rip out of the car. I'm told that if they are aligned correctly that wouldn't happen but I'm not so sure. I know your quest for 200mph as I have had it for some time and it is a sickness until achieved. I had the sickness with motorcycles and just achieved it with a stock 2012 Kawasaki ZX14R with only a header and pipe. I did it recently and made exactly 200mph on GPS. Now the sickness demands more icing on the cake which I'm currently mixing.

For all of you that have taken your cars to it's highest speed, do you know how long it took you to get there? An important thing to remember is that at Bonneville, the courses are 5 or 7 miles long. Speed needs to be reached within those distances.

I think a supercharged NSX would probably need an intercooler to break 200 mph. rsevo6 and goldNSX here on Prime put CTSCs on their NSXs and both independently found that the top speeds of their cars dropped to about 160 mph. Presumably because the CTSC gets so hot during extended high rpm full throttle driving that it heats the intake air (or maybe just the IAT sensor?) enough for the engine management computer to start pulling ignition timing.

304_kmh.jpg
I'm running water/meth injection and it really helps on high speed runs. I have not taken my car over 155mph yet. I would like to do a standing mile at a track soon to see what she will do

well I have gotten my 92 up to 169 with TCS on and bald rear tires but cant confirm this since it is illegal to do so in the States so this is a hypothetical event I mentioned for legal reasons. with it off I have heard you can get 189 I think fffffffman has posted pics of his TCS off and the needle was at 189mph.

- - - Updated - - -

note: as my speed increased the more stable the car felt. it was lower to the ground due to Downforce and the steering was exact and felt like this is how the car should feel normally. this was when I had the 5-speed and before I had air intake so...

Any Updates ??

I did 172, supercharged + big ass Type R wing.. on the track. A few times. No problem. Over multiple runs. The wing did really feel like it was slowing me down though.. maybe just placebo. With the front end type R hood, felt decent.

I had the magicians at SOS do some "enhancements" to my Zanardi (more on that in a forthcoming post. For now, let me say that I can't wipe the smile off my face.) While there, I took a few minutes to examine and admire the white wide body coupe that Chris and the crew have lovingly and continuously developed over the the past several years. I went home with my mind whirring, and began to formulate a plan...

As I have mentioned on Prime before, I recently took my Ford GT out to the Mojave event and did a 200+ speed run. This was a seminal moment for me as a car guy and I find myself bragging about it more often than is probably polite. My family and friends roll their eyes and change the subject whenever I bring it up.

I would like to see this speed in an NSX, and thus I have purchased the white SOS widebody with the intent of achieving this speed on the Bonneville Salt Flats this August. I'm not sure, but it may be the first time in history than an NSX has obtained this speed. Even it its not, I'm gonna give it shot (with the expert help of SOS).

From driving the GT, I learned that while it's easy to talk about going 200, actually doing it is another matter all together. I do not presume that it will be easy. Nor will it be cheap. It will require a full role cage and a parachute. Haven't told my wife that part yet.

If any of you have thoughts or ideas about this quest, I would like to hear them. While I have attended Speed Week and spent some time on the salt, I have never driven there at a sanctioned event. I'd like to hear from some of you who have, if you are out there. For that matter, I'd like to hear from any of you with high speed experience in the NSX. I've seen 160 (indicated) in mine, but that's a far cry from two hunert.

I'll begin a build thread once we get working. The plan is to go with the SOS twin Turbo system on a SOS built 3.0 liter. Target is about 500 hp. Our calculations seem to indicate that this will push the NSX past the magic 200. It will have to pull this speed at redline in Sixth.

The primary thoughts I've been having lately concern aerodynamics and efficiency at 200+ speeds.

Feedback appreciated.

Bump for updates. Calling [MENTION=4042]DeHaldaswerth[/MENTION], calling [MENTION=4042]DeHaldaswerth[/MENTION].

The stock NSX has a pretty small frontal area: 1.78m^2 and a 0.32 CD which results in a 0.57 Air Drag Coefficient and a 0.05 coefficient of lift -which is really good even by todays standards.

Your Ford GT has a 1.92 m^2 frontal area and a 0.35 CD, for a larger 0.67 Air Drag Coefficient.

Here's a fun aero thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/144359-NSX-aerodynamics/page4

I'm not sure how much the widebody will increase the CD or Frontal Area, but as others have mentioned, it will be an uphill battle. I would consider blocking off the side AC inlets completely and probably blocking off some of your front radiator inlet for the top speed runs.

Looking forward to how this progresses.

I don't see this as being such a big deal. With only 403h to the wheels and no further prep and my windows probably disrupting air flow I made 185mph. With another 100hp and some prepping I can't see 200mph being that hard to attain. I was at sea level so that does help. I think you would need to extend the rpm of the motor or use greater diameter tires as I was right on the limiter. Maybe the 6 speed cars have better ratios to work with though.

I shit my pants above 120mph on the NSX.
Maybe I have too much camber and the car is too "track oriented" and not "200mph" aligned??

What i noticed with the stock hood is that you feel the steering gets lighter at high speeds, which is not inspiring confidence.. It's much better with the NSX-R type front end. And yeah some race tracks are very fast.

This is actually a goal I had for my NSX as well. I would like to make it a true 200mph supercar. I think I am pretty close to achieving this goal. I purchased and installed a 6 speed transmission with the regular 4.06 final drive, which in theory should top out at 203mph when it hits redline. I've also lightened the car to 2700lbs to help the car accelerate a bit faster. Only thing left is power increase which I'm assuming I need at least 425whp to achieve a top speed of 200mph. Hopefully I can do the power upgrade in a year or two. I want to spend more time on driver mods for now :D.

I think you'll need more than 425rwh to break a 2 handle

Back