• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone have any knowledge about LHD to RHD conversions?

I was wondering if anyone has had any knowledge about wanting to convert a Left-Hand Drive car to a Right-Hand Drive car?? Has anyone done this with any other cars?? Could you do it with the NSX???

I have done a few conversions on hondas, taking a normal LHD us market vehicle, and switching it to a JDM spec RHD vehicle. Lots of work.

- Purchase a JDM RHD front clip
- Strip the front half of both cars down to BARE unibody
- Locate and mark ALL unibody spot welds on (the front of) both vehicles.
***is the NSX spot welded or bonded at the factory???????*** (if so adjust directions accordingly)
- Using a spot weld removal drill bit, drill all of them out.
- You will be removing the core support, left and right upper shock tower approns, then the left and right frame rail extensions, then the wiper cowl area, then the front firewall/bulkhead.
- Replace with RHD bulkhead & wiper cowl. spot weld, and then use body sealer on all seams (not sure if the alum body NSX uses something different)
- On most hondas..... the shock tower approns & frame rail extensions are the same with matching bolt holes on both sides. (not sure on NSX, is true for integras, civics, delsols, and accord, and preluds)
- attach core support
- repaint
- transfer RHD wireharness, and misc lines (brake & clutch) and other devices
- transfer RHD inner pieces heater, harnesses, braces, dash, pedal assmbly, etc
- Go find RHD door panels & door wire harnesses NOT included in front clip
- purchase RHD carpet from dealer in japan, and ship to USA

I'm forgetting some stuff probably, but you get the gist.

Not something i would recommend..... since the NSX body is put together using alot of expensive special processes, not like your typical STEEL unibody honda which i easy to convert.

-Ray

Thanks for the info NA1...trying to see what is feasible to me if I happen to be moving overseas and taking the car with me or selling and buying a much more expensive version.

NowSeeX's said:
trying to see what is feasible to me if I happen to be moving overseas and taking the car with me or selling and buying a much more expensive version.
It may be perfectly legal to bring a LHD car with you into a RHD country and drive it that way (just like RHD cars are not illegal in the States, I think). However, if you're going to be there semi-permanently, I think you're better off selling it than trying to convert it...

Nsxtasy......

actually you cant, i've spend 2 years trying to get a few registered....

Shhhhhh..... i have a few that i'm NOT ALLOWED to registered.....state patrol refused them....

I'm lucky they didnt make me dispose them.... but i am on good & friendly terms with them, so they give me a little slack.

NowSeeX, I'll call you a little later after i get home from work

-Ray

RHD in USA

Seems to me I see RHD Jeeps delivering the mail and parking tickets in Denver all the time [Different Jeeps!]. At least in Colorado, the governments can register RHD vehicles. I've also seen a few classic Rolls Royces with license plates here

Not sure about Dubai.... but some countries (i.e. Singapore) will not allow vehicles with engines larger than 2.0.
My buddy moved to Singapore and could not import his Benz. BMW makes 2.0 ver of the 5 series for this reason.

CRX B16B VTEC said:
which RHD country are you moving to?

Looks like the land of OZ...Australia....and ive priced a few NSX's and they are FREAKING EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!(and its not helping that the $US dollar is free-falling)

Example: a 91 nsx in oz is $75000AD = $57000 US!!!!!!!

Now do you understand my desire to convert??:eek:

And they dont allow LHD cars into the country...

And they dont allow LHD cars into the country...

Not entirely true, ive seen a few left hand drive cars in oz. Camaros and Mustangs for instance. There are rules for this but it has been done, maybe older cars only?

Move to Australia then import one (from Japan) with the new year 15 year old car rule :)

ajnsx said:
Not entirely true, ive seen a few left hand drive cars in oz. Camaros and Mustangs for instance. There are rules for this but it has been done, maybe older cars only?

Move to Australia then import one (from Japan) with the new year 15 year old car rule :)

I think the exception is if the cars are older (25 yrs??) .....Your right I might have to wait til the new year and look at a 90 but I was looking at a T. I know the Aussie car market is very protective towards its domestic market so Im wondering if they might change that 15yr old rule also.

If a conversion is feasible, it STILL might be better than paying the astronomical prices for an NSX in OZ......(or waiting ANOTHER 5 years until the T's are imported)

Anyone know if conversion would work for the NSX??

CRX B16B VTEC said:
What about importing from Japan?

There are STRICT rules about importing to Australia.....they want to protect there car market....and charge ASTRONIMICAL prices:eek:

Believe me, I would love to import a type-R or type-S if I could.

Back