• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone own a Hummer H2 yet? I am buying one

From http://www.alternet.org/print.html?StoryID=14839 :

To illustrate the kind of selfishness that marks some SUV drivers, Bradsher finds people who rave about how they've survived accidents with barely a scratch, yet neglected to mention that the people in the other car were all killed. (One such woman confesses rather chillingly to Bradsher that her first response after killing another driver was to go out and get an even bigger SUV.)

Man, that's unnerving.

<font size=1>

[This message has been edited by PHOEN$X (edited 17 January 2003).]

Originally posted by NSXaholic:
The author doesn't take any prisoners...

I'd hate to hear what he has to say about sports car owners... Sounds like he has a real chip on his shoulder.

Originally posted by flaminio:
Here's another viewpoint:

Are Hummer Owners Idiots?

(Don't flame me; I didn't write it...)

-Bob

I agree with a lot of the things in the artical. Another thing that really bothers me is that I just had my first child, (son) and I dont like the thought of him riding in my daily driver 89civic or my wifes 95legend because of all the hick @#$holes with monster trucks on the road. And it has no end in sight so i guess when i pay off my nsx I will buy an Caddy truck that is 2 years old for half the price of a new one.

Originally posted by Lud:
I'd hate to hear what he has to say about sports car owners... Sounds like he has a real chip on his shoulder.

Heck, you know sports car owners are selfish
wink.gif
There's no pretense there at all. At least we don't disproportionately kill other drivers, and we are more likely to know how our cars handle...

That author is obviously one of those extreemist burning SUV's in the car lots with gasoline. Talk about poluting the air and destroying the American economy, WHAT A HYPOCRITE! How about a line of 40 SUV's set ablaze with gasoline, exploding the gas tanks in the vehicles poluting the air with noxious fumes. In turn the dealership has to take a loss on inventory ,claim on insurance,the insurance company raises everyones premiums to cover their loss, the working man has to get a second job to pay the higher bill, thus driving more and using more gas.
rolleyes.gif

and this statement is ridiculus!
Furthermore, SUVs are marketed, and widely accepted, as more safe, more solid and protective, which is of course one of the industry's biggest and most contemptible lies.[/B]
My Hummer weighs 10300lbs, all steel construction,bulletproof doors,1/4 steel undercarrige bomb shielding, run flats with central tire inflation and kevlar tires, can forge 4ft of water,full time 4 wheel drive and has been voted the most capable offroad vehicle for the last 10 years. All this with leather interior, tv's, voice activated navigation and room to haul just about anything you want.And I still get 15MPG!!

How can you not feel safe and comfortable driving one.

Acura NsX Pilot,
I love the G500. Probably, when my friend is going back to Indonesia this year he will sell it to me again for a lot less money
wink.gif

The G500 feels very solid as a tank. You can run it very fast on the highway and the truck feel very firm. With its front grill its very thick sheet of metal, you feel like you drive a moving vault, and yes you will feel invincible. It gets about 13 mpg
smile.gif

Check out this G55: http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container.jsp?/models/main.jsp&modelCode=G55

Net power 349 hp @ 5,500 rpm
Net torque 387 lb-ft @ 3,000 rpm
0-60 mph in 7.2 seconds

SUVs are practicle. When it snows sure a 'u r a bus' aka subarua...work, but damn a Range rover will kick its ass in snow. Same with most SUVs.

I rather drive cars, GTs and sports to be exact, but if the white stuff is falling, then give me a RANGEROVER!

ok im partical to ranges, but I respect Hummers (H1s), if they were easier to drive in the city I might get one...might, but unlikely, rovers for me!

------------------
Resident E38er

-97 NSX "Nina" #183

Have to agree RANGE ROVER for me---our rover with 80k miles felt 10x's tighter than the escalade at 20k miles. I cant tell you if the new escalade is a better quality product, but the first gen was pretty poor.

The real reason I dumped the escalade is that it felt like it wouldnt last to/past 100k miles. As a daily driver putting 25k-30k miles a year on it, NOT a good choice.

Quick additional note; CADILLAC dealers only wanted to give 18k for a 00 escalade with 41k miles. Every other dealer was willing to go between 21k-24.5k. Do you think that is a ringing endorsement of their own product?

The Cadillac dealer (along with every other dealer) claimed that used gms are practically worthless, due to the 0/0/0 incentives theyve been running. Since cars tend to be bought based on payment, not value, the new car payments are as cheap as the payment on a used vehicle---ergo used car prices have plummeted to compensate, and they still arent selling very well.

SO, I'm pretty biased against GM at the moment, and wanted to let everyone know what they are potentially getting into when buying a highdollar gm product.

I agree - never buy a new car. Buy a car that's 1-2 years old, with an extended warranty. You can save a lot of $$ this way...

Originally posted by nsxlover:
I believe any car depriciates 20 to 30% per year. If you look at a new MB ML350 it will cost you around 47k loaded. A 2000 ML 320 can be had for around 22k. That is over a 50% decrease. Lets face it, anytime you buy a new car it is the worst investment you could make (besides Enron). I usually buy cars about 1 to 2 years old, but have been having some problems with 3 out of my 5 cars and my wife insists on having atleast 1 new car under warranty at all times now. I also looked at the new Land Rover Discovery and the MB ML350. Both are really nice vehicles, but the Hummer is awsome. As far as parking it in a garage, who cares it is a Hummer, I will take it off road all the time so that is not a concern. IMO a Hummer does not belong in the garage anyway, my NSX and Porsche on the other hand are in there.... This will be my first American vehicle in a long time. That is the only scarry part as the corvette I had was a piece of junk.

Living on or near a military base almost my entire life up until 1996 I have only one view of the Humvee (aka Hummer) and/or it's offshoots. This is me "Look there goes another moron who paid almost 100K for an Army truck with some leather and a stereo glued to the interior"

Sorry guys...when you see one hummer you seen em all. I think it's great that AM General was able to civilianize an all-purpose vehicle with zero comfort level, zero practicality level, and loads of off road capability. Slap some cheap leather seats, mount a poor excuse for a stereo, and then turn around and sell it to puffed up city folk who think somehow that an Army truck has become a status symbol. Amazing...

Now honestly I haven't been INSIDE of an H2 yet...and no offense to anyone on the board...but I just can't imagine that this thing has any REAL world value for any real world purpose. I can't understand why anyone would even consider buying one, let alone liking one...but hey...you could say the same for sports cars.

I tend to agree with the "Down with SUVs!!!" idea...but I guess they serve about the same amount of purpose as an NSX does on public roads. To each his own...BUT please LEARN how to drive the thing...I curse anyone with SUVs and an "I'm not moving, I'll run you over because I'm bigger" attitude. You should be licensed to drive on of these behemoths.

edit: misspelling

------------------
Got dat ol' vee six cilnder inder?

http://www.nextestdrive.net

[This message has been edited by scottjua (edited 21 January 2003).]

I suppose H1 owners feel that the H2 has compromised on the original Hummer concept.

Of course...cause even the H1 compromises the original "Hummer" concept... you can't mount .50 cal on top on the "road" version.

biggrin.gif
playing the devil's advocate on anti-Hummer sentiment.

------------------
Got dat ol' vee six cilnder inder?

http://www.nextestdrive.net

Originally posted by scottjua:

Sorry guys...when you see one hummer you seen em all. I think it's great that AM General was able to civilianize an all-purpose vehicle with zero comfort level, zero practicality level, and loads of off road capability. Slap some cheap leather seats, mount a poor excuse for a stereo, and then turn around and sell it to puffed up city folk who think somehow that an Army truck has become a status symbol. Amazing...

Now honestly I haven't been INSIDE of an H2 yet

You obviously havent every ridden in an H1 either.Other than the chasis and the design, the two vehicles(Humvee and Hummer)are completly different. The doors,mirrors windows,dash, steering,seats, rear section on the wagon, wheels,winch, front bumper, towing capacity, passenger capacity, the list goes on...are all very different. My Hummer's interior is quite comfortable, the leather I would not call cheap(I have never seen the drivers side bolster of a Hummer wear out like the one on my NSX did) my stereo is aftermarket because ALL Factory stereos systems are very lacking(including the ancient cassette deck in the NSX). The ride is comparable to that of a Suburban because of the independent for wheel suspension. The spring rates are less stiff than the Military versions. The engine is NOT the 6.2ltr that the Military uses, but a 6.5ltr turbo diesel. The gear ratios and trannys are completly different and thats why a military Humvee will top out at 55MPH and I can easily hit 90MPH. So if you bring your head out of the jar you will recognize that the H1, while not a vehicle that everyone will like(interior noise levels are very high on the road)it isnt the piece of crap that the Military drive with cheap leather seats stuck in them and sold to a puffed up city folk at a higher price.BTW The only people paying 100K for a Hummer are the same ones paying 90K for a new NSX and I'm not very puffy
biggrin.gif

Austin is already infested with H2s - several of my frends have them. I can tell when one of them buys one because I get a call asking about superchargers. Every single one of them thinks it is a pig and needs more power. Other than that, they love them and report that H2s are great for impressing strippers.

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
Heck, you know sports car owners are selfish
wink.gif
There's no pretense there at all. At least we don't disproportionately kill other drivers, and we are more likely to know how our cars handle...

...and end up them killing us or us killing ourselves.

------------------
Todd E. Williams
'94 NSX Berlina Black/Black

personally, i think the original Hummer is better looking. what are the new advantages/features of the H2?

...guess who wins in an NSX vs Hummer head-on accident??? i think this pix proves a point.
smile.gif

hummer_050602_01.jpg

The Hummer is the only street-legal MONSTER TRUCK!
biggrin.gif

<FONT SIZE=1>

[This message has been edited by NeoNSX (edited 20 January 2003).]

Originally posted by SNDSOUL:
So if you bring your head out of the jar you will recognize that the H1, while not a vehicle that everyone will like(interior noise levels are very high on the road)it isnt the piece of crap that the Military drive with cheap leather seats stuck in them and sold to a puffed up city folk at a higher price.BTW The only people paying 100K for a Hummer are the same ones paying 90K for a new NSX and I'm not very puffy
biggrin.gif

alright, perhaps the last consumer market hummer I sat in was an earlier model or at least a stripper, because I could not stand the "comfort" level of it and found the interior a laugh. Again that may be subjective...and it's not like I come from some Rolls Royce ilk either.
smile.gif
I also agree, as I'm sure there should be some changes from the military version, however I still just see it as an army truck. It's just a subjective statement of observation on my part. Much like a Jeep, I can see their proven track record for off road usability, but for a daily driver...it's foreign to me. Then again, this is all opinion. Consider my head out of the jar
smile.gif

Well, you may not be very puffy
wink.gif
, and may actually find some use for all that capability...but I can guarantee that for every ONE of you, there's at least 10-15 others that see the hummer as a status symbol, not much unlike some exotic owners. (no implications there)

Originally posted by scottjua:
Much like a Jeep, I can see their proven track record for off road usability, but for a daily driver...it's foreign to me.
Man, you're on a roll. I've had a Jeep for 11 years and used it as a daily driver up until about 5 years ago.
biggrin.gif

No worries, at least we have the NSX in common.
40387299azWUGN_ph.jpg

Originally posted by David:
Every single one of them thinks it is a pig and needs more power.

Apparently at least one H2 driver thinks he's got a high-performance sportscar as he tried to race my NSX yesterday.

It was pretty pathetic. He created lots of drama and the car made lots of noise but it barely moved!

I was laughing the whole time he was trying to show off his ride to the entire world.

Everybody should get what they want, but i cant see myself driving a H2. They look ok, but a little too 'look at me' for my taste.

if you get it, good luck and keep us posted--im curious how all the little quality issues pan out in this make/model.

Back