• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Doomsday Preppers

I'm a fan of the show and of prepping. I'm not quite as extensive or obsessed as the people on the show but I like to have some preparedness ready in the event any sort of scenario happens.

Any of you out there fans of the idea?

First of all, who would want to live in a post apocalyptic world?

Secondly, you don't need preparations when you have 10k rounds of ammo.:smile::smile::smile:

LOL I tend to agree. :biggrin:

Those folks spend what portion of their income on prepping for the doomsday scenario? I believe they spend so much that they sacrifice a good quality of life for some unlikely scenarios.

I have some emergency water filters, emergency supplies for things like short term shortages, etc., but nothing over the top.

I remember an episode where a fire fighter in New York prepares for a massive volcano eruption by practicing sealing in his apartment with the family, and storing emergency food supplies in a remote location. I was thinking if things got bad enough, rioters would set fire to his apartment building and he would be screwed...it was a silly preparation to be stuck in a highly massive urban population center.

A commercial for this show had an annoying fat chick saying "after doomsday I'll be the only person needing to lose 200 pounds..." I was thinking "You'll be the only chick on the planet moving so damn slow because you're overweight, you'll become easy prey / dinner for others..."

Another episode showed a family in Los Angeles growing their own garden in their backyard next to the freeway. I was thinking if something terrible happens, prepare for huge hordes of invaders in your house as people see the huge garden in your backyard... good luck in trying to keeping the food to yourself, especially in heavily populated Los Angeles. Most of these preppers seem to miss some major picture in a doomsday scenario, although they do heavily invest in trying to prepare for one doomsday scenario or another.

Oh yea, here's a funny video for those doomsday preppers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85fy2bCMc7g&feature=related

Last edited:
It's a flaw of logic to think only in extremes.
One of the things I do at work is create and maintain an IT disaster recovery plan and site. You have to consider major disasters and minor disasters. Localized, regional, national, etc disasters. Everything isn't a zombie apocalypse. There is in-between.

IMO, our government has told all of us to have at least 3 days of water/food/etc at all times. Why would anyone ignore that, and why would you go with the minimum? IMO, people should have a plan to go 3 weeks w/o water/food/electricity during the winter.

I have a disaster kit I've been assembling. It's not a shelter or anything, but we have a plan, and supplies in place for the family in the event of a disaster.

I started doing this when I lived in Dallas and the power got knocked out for several days by a severe storm. I had never thought about an outage of more than a few hours, but we were down for like 2-3 days. My parents have also experienced extensive loss of utilities in the aftermath of hurricanes ect. I try to be ready for that sort of thing, not some generic SHTF scenario that most of the preppers I know are getting ready for.

Can we define "doomsday"? I mean because in standard vernacular "doomsday" means: "end of the world." As in, nothing left exists. As in, giant meteor blows the earth up into a million pieces. As in, volcanoes, hurricanes, floods destroy everything all living life forms on the planet.

So if we are truly talking about a doomsday scenario, then there really isn't anything to prepare for. No amount of food, rations, ammunition, guns, water, concrete bunkers etc. is really going to make one lick of difference when the entire earth is 200' below molten lava and/or water, while simultaneously being pelted with meteorites and is hurling toward the sun.

Getting hit by an earthquake, being ravished by a tsunami or tornado, losing power for several days; those are natural disasters, not a doomsday. Preparing for disasters makes sense. It could save your life. Preparing for the end of the world as we know it; aka doomsday? I think the best preparation you could do is live your life the best you can now while you are alive so you don't have any regrets when the end of the world comes.

Last edited:
I keep a stockpile of ammo, water, batteries, and non pershible food items. I like to be prepared for any type of natural disaster.

Just remember to rotate out the older food so you are continually using the older items first.

It's not a bad idea to some degree but some of these people are over the top.

The ones that trip me out are the ones that are "preppers" living in big cities, if they're that serious then they would be living in remote areas of nowhere.

if the government tells you that you need a pencil

I go out and buy a pen.

if they say you need at least 3days water and food

I go out and buy a Live cow and a ton of cereal assorted flavors and a ton of BarbQ sauce and a sharp knife

if the government says days before the pres elections
" I found and killed Bin Laden " I laugh and say no you didnt the seals did

First of all, who would want to live in a post apocalyptic world?.....

Well my version is that all the dudes die and I find myself washed ashore on Atlantis with nothing but smoking hot females where I'm ravaged, used, and raped by these she-rapists.

Any questions?

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XxFYYP8040A?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XxFYYP8040A?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Last edited:
Now that's funny :biggrin:.

I say keep a bottle of your favorite wiskey handy and a spare bullet. If it gets so bad that the wiskey doesn't calm you - take the bullet.

I like this. Which means I already got my preparations done. :smile:

Can we define "doomsday"? I mean because in standard vernacular "doomsday" means: "end of the world." As in, nothing left exists. As in, giant meteor blows the earth up into a million pieces. As in, volcanoes, hurricanes, floods destroy everything all living life forms on the planet.

So if we are truly talking about a doomsday scenario, then there really isn't anything to prepare for. No amount of food, rations, ammunition, guns, water, concrete bunkers etc. is really going to make one lick of difference when the entire earth is 200' below molten lava and/or water, while simultaneously being pelted with meteorites and is hurling toward the sun.

Getting hit by an earthquake, being ravished by a tsunami or tornado, losing power for several days; those are natural disasters, not a doomsday. Preparing for disasters makes sense. It could save your life. Preparing for the end of the world as we know it; aka doomsday? I think the best preparation you could do is live your life the best you can now while you are alive so you don't have any regrets when the end of the world comes.

That's a good point Vegas. Also I think it would depend on what type of disaster you are preparing for as well. If you have a bunch of food and water saved up in the garage and then a tsunami comes and washes it all away.....well.....:frown::redface:

I probably have so much 9mm ammo stockpiled, I'll be able to trade some for food/water come doomsday.:wink:

While I completely agree, since the show title is called "doomsday", most of these people are actually preparing for a collapse in our society as we know, a financial collapse, electrical grid goes down for months/years, etc.

The inability to BUY food if the food chain is disrupted, or the banking system collapses and everything we have in "cash" in various investments becomes worthless paper, etc.

While I completely agree, since the show title is called "doomsday", most of these people are actually preparing for a collapse in our society as we know, a financial collapse, electrical grid goes down for months/years, etc.

The inability to BUY food if the food chain is disrupted, or the banking system collapses and everything we have in "cash" in various investments becomes worthless paper, etc.

There's a show? What channel?

I have a co-worker who has stockpiled enough guns, food, water, generators, gas, etc. for at least a year, if not two. But here's the thing I keep asking all the people who say they have stockpiled food, water, guns, ammo etc.

Ok, so are you prepared to mass murder? Because think about it. There will be thousands, if not millions of people who don't have all these stockpiled goods. When they realize you have tons of food and resources they are going to try and storm your place and get them. Are you prepared to shoot and kill every single one of them? Are you prepared to be up 24-7 vigilantly guarding your house? Are you willing to watch people outside of your house starve and die right in front of your face? These may be people with families, with children, with injured friends and relatives. Those with children, think about what you would do if you had no food, but your neighbor had stockpiled tons of food. Would you just let your children starve or would you do what you can to get that food?

So ask yourself, are you willing to mow down these people to keep them from getting your food? Mow down enough people and guess what? People will storm your house or burn it down. Having enough basic supplies for mild emergencies is fine. However, if a disaster struck to the point where you need years of stockpiled food and ammo, the sad truth is at that point, it doesn't matter if you have enough to cover for yourself. If society breaks down nobody survives. And if anybody does, it's not a life worth living.

Last edited:
Gimme a mini-gun and 10 million rounds... :biggrin:

mini-gun_v8xzvolm.jpg

There's a show? What channel?

Yep, it's the thread title "Doomsday Preppers." It's on the National Geographic Channel.

I take the term "Doomsday" lightly. As someone said, it would be pointless to prepare for an extinction level event. I was more of asking about everyone's ideas/plans for society collapsing, economic collapse, Solar flare that kills off our electronics and knocks us back to the stone ages etc etc.

We all got a glimpse of this after Katrina. In New Orleans chaos ruled for a while and things got real ugly fast. It really depends on the size and scope of the event. As a husband and father I know I will do whatever I have to do to protect and provide for my family. You will too. But I would also help my neighbor in whatever way I could. United we stand - divided we fall. I believe that. No man is an island. Prep all you want, just don't forget what's important. That guy in your crosshairs may be me, just looking for food to feed my family. Of course by the time you see me I'd have finished that bottle of wiskey and be stumblin so bad I'd be hard to hit :biggrin:.

Living in Florida you learn to have certain supplies on hand for when a Hurricaine makes landfall. I have enough bottled water for three weeks and batteries to last about a month. I don't stockpile food because I'd end up eating it before the storm anyway. :D I do have enough ammo for personal defense if one or two people threaten my life. As previously mentioned, if there is chaos in the streets, it doesn't matter what you have stashed, it'll be looted. Oh, there is one commodity that I do have saved up; Toilet paper.

Back