• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Double DIN video head unit thread

The Navigation is really Fast and accurate to within 3 meters of your destination, I have several other cars with built-in Navi but this one tells you the Street name instead of just saying right turn in 100 feet, the Clarion Powered Channel Sub is Perfect size to tuck in behind the passenger seat give good solid base. I will post the final photos once we finish modifying the panel. When we first installed the Kenwood DNX7100 we did not install any Amps yet only the powered sub and we connected it to the original door speakers with the factory bose amps on line and it sounded soooo sweet already I could not belive it, the we removed the factory bose speakers and put the JL Audio separates and bam it sounded soooo weak hench we had to install the AMPS, but if your not really into that loud loud sound the factory bose with this Kenwood and just a powered sub is more than enough.

Attachments

• TNTOpen 008.jpg
    TNTOpen 008.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 860
  • TNTOpen 009.jpg
    TNTOpen 009.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 798
  • TNTOpen 013.jpg
    TNTOpen 013.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 677
  • TNTOpen 018.jpg
    TNTOpen 018.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 604
  • TNTOpen 012.jpg
    TNTOpen 012.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 503
I finished the AVIC-D3 installation today, here is a quick cell phone pic:

DSC01096.jpg

Last edited:
its all touch screen and stuff and the GUI (graphic User Interface) is so cool you can even change your background wallpaper with your own images by connecting your USB drive, you can play songs direct from that USB drive too. Its a pretty cool head unit with a lot of features.

Hi TNT NSX, thanks for the info. Just in case anyone misunderstood, the bluetooth is not built in but it is bluetooth ready.

Can you try an experiment for me? Can you see if you can put a video file like a Divx on a USB drive and see if you can play it?

Also, there is very little info on this deck currently. Is there an ejectable SD card for the NAV? Can you put an SD card in there with a bunch of music and video files and play them?

I just got my AVIC-D3 the other day. Gonna get it installed in the Soup next week. I went with this one because it seemed like the best bang for the buck. More importantly it has the Vehicle Dynamics Display (speedo, lat and forward/backward G force,etc.), which was a must for me since my speedo is in KPH. I don't know of any other brand that has the vehicle dynamics display. If I like it I'll get one for the NSX.

Just went through the entire thread...

IMO, the most important item kinda being overlooked is the glare. If you can't see it, what good is it?

On all the double DINs I was able to find, not one unit would tilt out from the top enough to remove the sun. Some came out just a tad, but not enough to eliminate the flare.

I went with the AVIC-N3 unit, single DIN. It has the adjustment of totally flat or slanted back against the heater controls. I have really good luck with this unit even with sun blazing in.

iPod adapter plug is in the glove box... It's all good

I just got my AVIC-D3 the other day. Gonna get it installed in the Soup next week. I went with this one because it seemed like the best bang for the buck. More importantly it has the Vehicle Dynamics Display (speedo, lat and forward/backward G force,etc.), which was a must for me since my speedo is in KPH. I don't know of any other brand that has the vehicle dynamics display. If I like it I'll get one for the NSX.

I've never head of this Vehicle Dynamic Display. How does it work? Does it attach to your computer wiring? I have the HKS Camp myself, so I was just curious. Let us know how the install goes. Did you say Soup? As in Supra? I don't recall how the supra console looks.

Just went through the entire thread...

IMO, the most important item kinda being overlooked is the glare. If you can't see it, what good is it?

On all the double DINs I was able to find, not one unit would tilt out from the top enough to remove the sun. Some came out just a tad, but not enough to eliminate the flare.

I went with the AVIC-N3 unit, single DIN. It has the adjustment of totally flat or slanted back against the heater controls. I have really good luck with this unit even with sun blazing in.

iPod adapter plug is in the glove box... It's all good

Do they not sell material that can be placed atop the display to reduce or eliminate glare? Is your car a Targa?

I've never head of this Vehicle Dynamic Display. How does it work? Does it attach to your computer wiring? I have the HKS Camp myself, so I was just curious. Let us know how the install goes. Did you say Soup? As in Supra? I don't recall how the supra console looks.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/press/release/detail/0,,2076_310069595_161541236,00.html

Do they not sell material that can be placed atop the display to reduce or eliminate glare? Is your car a Targa?

No, then you will lose the touchscreen functionality. There are already anti-glare coatings that help a little but it's very difficult to overcome reflection on a smooth surface while still letting light pass through. There are touchscreen displays that have transflective LCDs that make a huge improvement when viewing in sunlight. I've read that transflective displays aren't as bright as the standard transmissive LCDs. They are also VERY expensive. I haven't seen a head unit yet that uses this display. But here is a cool demo you can watch.

http://www.mp3car.com/video/transflective_demo.wmv

You know the angle we're speaqking about here. I don't think any material would eliminate a full head-on blast of the sun on a surface like that. Anti-glare sheet or not. And, yes I have an 05.

If your laying out 2 grand for a upgrade.... Why settle for things that will just cheeze you off in the long run

fwiw, I had the D3 mounted flush to the console yesterday, and after driving around in the sun the screen was still readable, but the glare was an issue. Today I adjusted the bracket to create a 'reverse tilt' situation, an offset of perhaps 3-4 degrees... a test drive showed the glare was seriously reduced, now the screen is very readable, even in full sun. I just built carbon fiber walls around my console, and attached them with silicone, I will reinstall the console tomorrow after the silicone sets, and take pictures in the car... Here are some of the project:

Carbon Fiber Bracket:

_IGP6919.JPG

Carbon Fiber walls, set in silicone, extend under, and to the sides, of AVIC-D3, approx 15mm:

_IGP6916.JPG

_IGP6917.JPG

Last edited:
A few degrees can make a big difference. Glare you can never get rid of completely. Even in my xB where I have a double din sitting at 90 degrees, the angle of the light coming in can cause glaring. Light can come in at a lot of different angles to wash things out. The compromise is small though, it's in rare situations where it is completely unviewable. But watching a DVD movie with the top off is probably not a good situation.

scorp965, you might want to use JB Weld or another epoxy instead of that silicone. Expansion, contraction, heat and pressure might make you rework that wall job. Plus an epoxy will be a lot stronger...

Does this mean you aren't going to sell me your CF console? :biggrin:

Rob, send me a PM if you want me to try and source one for you, I was undecided until last week on which console to go with, then I installed a rather large carbon fiber spoiler the day before my headunit install, so I decided to modify the existing console, as I felt it flowed better.

thats right malibu its blue tooth ready, you would have to buy the bluetooth module if you want to use that feature, you can dial thru the touch screen and stuff, the SD card is removable thats where the maps are installed and they are so updated, In my community there are new homes still being built and the street name is already in this map, pretty cool since I am a realtor and most times with the new home communities the streets are not mapped yet. As of now I have not tried putting some other files on that SD card, but I do use the USB drive and play some songs from there, I have yet to receive the IPOD cable for this head unit, no stock during the time they installed it. it is the newer KCA-IP300V the unit plays IPOD videos too hence the newer cable, I also have some JPEG files on the USB drive which I use to change the screen wallpaper, its pretty cool, I will try to load some video files and play it, it does say on the manual you can play WMV, files and stuff, the DVXX thing , when I press that option gets me to a screen to register the unit and stuff to play that format, I have not tried that either but when I do I will post some feedback here. I plan to install the CAMERA feature but instead on placing it at the rear I will place it on the front to help me see the front when you park in order to avoid damage to the front spoiler, I have 2 vidio inputs anyway so may put camera in the front and back hmmmmm might as well except the camera module is pricey ($300)...

Thanks for the info TNT NSX. The DNX7100 can be had through a retailer on the 350z forums for $1199. You can go to this link to get in on the deal and see some pictures of the Ipod controls in action. I like the album art feature, not available on the AVIC-D3.

Just FYI, you can always buy another reverse camera. There are very high quality ones that can be had on eBay for less than the Kenwood unit.

101_3362.JPG

It does for the rear seat video output. But not using the built-in screen. Pioneer implemented a gyroscope in their other units that you could not trick by grounding a parking brake wire like you can with other head units. There was a work around for using the rear camera input to watch video.

From Pioneer's website:

I've got this and yes you can watch DVD's as you drive from the headunit.

Okay, wow...forget the AVIC-D3...Now I'm turned on by this Kenwood unit. More camparos and info please! I plan on getting a good head unit later this year and don't want to get something I will regret.

I just built carbon fiber walls around my console, and attached them with silicone, I will reinstall the console tomorrow after the silicone sets, and take pictures in the car...

Scorp, how did the install turn out?

Any word on the KW DDX8019? It was supposed to be released on the 5th, but I can't find one, and I haven't heard anything regarding the date being pushed back? Anyone know? :confused:

The DDX-8019's came in this week along with more IP-300 Ipod cables,
so all of your local dealer's in good standing should be stocked up!!!!!!!!!!
I think I'm keeping 2 for myself, they're pretty slick optioned out with all the accessorries plugged in.

Kenwood unit looks perfect for what I want, just nice screen good ipod control, BT ready but does it come with a mic for using a handfree phone ???
Other question is what speakers do you all go for ? I understand the bose have inline amps which you can connect to but is it worth the hassel ?
No real wish for a sub or maybe just a little one under the pax seat but its all weight !

Dave

Kenwood unit looks perfect for what I want, just nice screen good ipod control, BT ready but does it come with a mic for using a handfree phone ???
Other question is what speakers do you all go for ? I understand the bose have inline amps which you can connect to but is it worth the hassel ?
No real wish for a sub or maybe just a little one under the pax seat but its all weight !Dave

Yes, the bluetooth modules come with a microphone. The next gen of bluetooth modules is coming out, Pioneer just released theirs. I'm sure there will be great improvements over the first gen because they all were just awful. I think they probably all used the same chipset.

Very easy to hookup the existing speakers and amps, not much of a hassle... just solder in some RCAs to one of the harnesses.

Thanks for the info on the BT. Regarding the factory speakers - would you bother or install a new set - recommendations ?

The kenwood has enought power for my purposes so just need a really good set of speakers.
thanks
dave

AVIC-Z2 is out.

It's pretty much the same as going from a D1 to a D2 - only added some features and better graphics, although, they lowered the price a tad.

Back