• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Double DIN video head unit thread

IMG_0464w.jpg

IMG_0462w.JPG

IMG_0463w.JPG

New console trim that I got from Prime member Coz - great pieces! Can't wait to install it with my AVIC-F90BT! :biggrin: also have matching door inserts. Thoughts? One thing though, he did not have any piece to go around the clock... so if he can't find one, what should I do? I think it would look funny with OEM trim around the clock, and then CF below.....no?

IMG_0464w.jpg

IMG_0462w.JPG

IMG_0463w.JPG

New console trim that I got from Prime member Coz - great pieces! Can't wait to install it with my AVIC-F90BT! :biggrin: also have matching door inserts. Thoughts? One thing though, he did not have any piece to go around the clock... so if he can't find one, what should I do? I think it would look funny with OEM trim around the clock, and then CF below.....no?

Go check out SOS. They have a CF trim overlay kit that you can buy for an OEM console which inculdes the vents and clock. I have the kit right now on my OEM centre console, vent, clock and door panels. I believe you can just buy the centre console only.

I am going to be installing a Double Din and have a CF centre console similar to yours except with the ash tray. The SOS overlay matches the CF centre console I bought. This should work for you as well.

Hope this helps.

Go check out SOS. They have a CF trim overlay kit that you can buy for an OEM console which inculdes the vents and clock. I have the kit right now on my OEM centre console, vent, clock and door panels. I believe you can just buy the centre console only.

I am going to be installing a Double Din and have a CF centre console similar to yours except with the ash tray. The SOS overlay matches the CF centre console I bought. This should work for you as well.

Hope this helps.

Um the parts I already have (Above) are not a wrap. They are all CF. I don't want CF overlay on the clock trim because the threads won't match. But yea thanks - I might have a few guys that can make one for me hopefully....

Here are the pictures of my Kenwood Double Din now that it has been installed. Items used were:

1. Science of Speed/Downforce Center Console - painted here in Dubai
2. Science of Speed DD brackets
3. Kenwood DD headunit

I wanted to achieve a stock look so tried to have the console painted close to the factory trim coloring. It isn't exact but I like it...

DSC00342.jpg

DSC00338.jpg

DSC00345.jpg

DSC00340.jpg

DSC00337.jpg

That looks good. Is that the DNX5120? I am trying to decide between that and the Pioneer AVIC-F90BT. I like those two because they can match the factory color of the climate control and clock displays.

Here are the pictures of my Kenwood Double Din now that it has been installed. Items used were:

1. Science of Speed/Downforce Center Console - painted here in Dubai
2. Science of Speed DD brackets
3. Kenwood DD headunit

I wanted to achieve a stock look so tried to have the console painted close to the factory trim coloring. It isn't exact but I like it...

DSC00342.jpg

DSC00338.jpg

DSC00345.jpg

DSC00340.jpg

DSC00337.jpg

Steve - Here in the UAE its called the DDX3032 or something like that - can't remember off the top of my head.

I did buy it as it had the round volume knob and because it matches the OEM components in color. It has navigation, USB cable which I've run into the glove box, Ipod plug in, etc. so its all I needed. I like it.

Steve - Here in the UAE its called the DDX3032 or something like that - can't remember off the top of my head.

I did buy it as it had the round volume knob and because it matches the OEM components in color. It has navigation, USB cable which I've run into the glove box, Ipod plug in, etc. so its all I needed. I like it.

I'm having a hard time deciding between that unit and the Pioneer avic-f90b for the same reasons you listed. They both match the dash and have nav and full speed ipod controls but what makes the decision hard for me is that the Pioneer is slow to boot and the Kenwood has better (Garmin) nav but the Pioneer has the headlight dimming option and doesn't need the add on cables for the bluetooth and full speed ipod control. I am going to look at both units one more time today and make a decision. I spent a little time playing with the Pioneer Nav yesterday and i really don't care for it much.

One thing though, he did not have any piece to go around the clock... so if he can't find one, what should I do? I think it would look funny with OEM trim around the clock, and then CF below.....no?

I have a (woodgrain) trim kit in my car, with the AC vent and clock pieces, so I have a little experience in this area. I think if you just install the carbon fiber kit without the upper pieces, you will like it better than with the upper pieces. It seems perfectly logical that it would look better with all of them, but in reality I think you will like it better without. This is one of those things where the opposite of what you would think is true.

Try just the center console piece first, then deal with the upper pieces later if it bothers you too much.

Last edited:
These photos helped convince me. That and i had a chance to play with both the 5120 and the f90bt side by side and the Pioneer was just way too slow and the gps was too far inferior so i bought the 5120 today.

I also picked up the kca-ip300v at the store for $30 but they wanted $150 for the kca-bt200 so i ordered it off Amazon for $88.

Now all i need is a good reverse camera and i'm set for the time being. I also ordered the radio wire harness, door speaker plates and double din mounting sleeve from SOS.

I'm just going to get some cheap 6.5" speakers for now and run them off the head unit until i can figure out what amp, sub and components i want to run later. With all that i have spent on CF interior trim and this stuff i need a break before i finish out the rest of the stereo.

Where did you guys mount your gps antenna and mic at?

I have a (woodgrain) trim kit in my car, with the AC vent and clock pieces, so I have a little experience in this area. I think if you just install the carbon fiber kit without the upper pieces, you will like it better than with the upper pieces. It seems perfectly logical that it would look better with all of them, but in reality I think you will like it better without. This is one of those things where the opposite of what you would think is true.

Try just the center console piece first, then deal with the upper pieces later if it bothers you too much.

Interesting.... I was thinking of painting the clock trim glossy black. what do u think?

Interesting.... I was thinking of painting the clock trim glossy black. what do u think?

I would say to do it. I think you would like it better that way that with the upper pieces in carbon fiber. Especially since when installed, the upper piece laps over the carbon fiber center console. If you didn't like it you could then try the carbon fiber later.

Prime members, I have been sitting on the fence watching this thread and happened on a deal that any of you waiting should jump on. I bought a Kenwood DNX7120 at Fry's yesterday for $499.00 new in a sealed box. It was not marked that way initially but there was a special bulliton from Kenwood authorizing them to knock off $500 as there are new models coming out. I got the last new one in Renton, Washington (they still have the display) I encourage you to visit your local store if you want this excellent deal!
:wink::wink::wink:

Prime members, I have been sitting on the fence watching this thread and happened on a deal that any of you waiting should jump on. I bought a Kenwood DNX7120 at Fry's yesterday for $499.00 new in a sealed box. It was not marked that way initially but there was a special bulliton from Kenwood authorizing them to knock off $500 as there are new models coming out. I got the last new one in Renton, Washington (they still have the display) I encourage you to visit your local store if you want this excellent deal!

Holy crap that is cheap. Is this all Fry's?

I paid $699 for my Kenwood dnx5120 last week at Cartoys... and that was on sale.:rolleyes:

The deal at fry's was not publicised and is not on thier website. If you have a FRY'S nearby check it out for yourself....maybe you'll get lucky too. I was actually planning on the DNX 8120 but this makes the rest of the install extra affordable. I also bought the Kenwood Bluetooth add on @$149 (+9% sales tax) but am returning it as I subsequently found it on Amazon for $83 + $7 shipping and no tax! My next move is to call SOS and buy the console,c/f overlay and bracket etc......out of the dark ages soon!
:cool:

The deal at fry's was not publicised and is not on thier website. If you have a FRY'S nearby check it out for yourself....maybe you'll get lucky too. I was actually planning on the DNX 8120 but this makes the rest of the install extra affordable. I also bought the Kenwood Bluetooth add on @$149 (+9% sales tax) but am returning it as I subsequently found it on Amazon for $83 + $7 shipping and no tax! My next move is to call SOS and buy the console,c/f overlay and bracket etc......out of the dark ages soon!

I bought that same BT module from Amazon (Barneys electronics) and it shipped in about a week.

Amazon also has a pretty good deal on the high speed ipod cables but i got the same $30 price at the store i bought the 5120 at so i just bought it there.

get the console painted or whatever you like but the stickers- personally i think that anything looks better than the stick-on carbon fiber, no matter how shiny it is. it always looks like an afterthought and after a while you get dust settling around the edges and you can never clean it out- i had one and it sucked, but thats my opinion.

get the console painted or whatever you like but the stickers- personally i think that anything looks better than the stick-on carbon fiber, no matter how shiny it is. it always looks like an afterthought and after a while you get dust settling around the edges and you can never clean it out- i had one and it sucked, but thats my opinion.

I haven't tried the 3m cf trim on the NSX but what Swerve is describing did happen to me with a similar 3m overlay on my Corvette. Then in the Texas summer heat it separated from the plastic and i had to push it back in place whenever i got into the car on a hot day. That was about 12 years ago though and that car did have a glass roof but even still, i had it professionally installed and it wasn't cheap stuff so i wasn't happy about it.:mad:

So after many changes and money spent....my system is finally done and I am very pleased with it. Here is my list of items.
Alpine IVA-W505/P1 Head Unit: Nav, iPod Integration, DVD/MP3, Bluetooth
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=IVA-W505/P1

Alpine PDX-4.150 Amp
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=PDX-4.150

Focal Door Speakers (can't remember which exact ones I have)

Solora Version II Sub

Boyo Rear View Camera

Custom Console with "junk pocket"

Here are some pictures on it I took today.
IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

Last edited:
Nice rims! :p Great install on the audio stuff... :D I'm about to buy the Sos Stage 1 audiophile system with my Pioneer AVIC-F90BT...

Nice work ;)

Thanks!

I have the NSX-R wing and DF diffuser coming soon.... maybe the money pit will be complete.... aaahh... probably not!

Enjoy the new stereo!

What is the best place to connect the wire that activates the camera when the car is put in reverse.

Back