• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Double DIN video head unit thread

Hey Malibu, is there a bypass for the DNX7100? I can't find any references to a bypass anywhere. If it can't, then the D3 is definitely my unit.

Hey Malibu, is there a bypass for the DNX7100? I can't find any references to a bypass anywhere. If it can't, then the D3 is definitely my unit.

Yes, the Kenwoods are bypassed by grounding the parking brake wire. They haven't changed this since day 1. Just FYI, I am not aware of any head unit that cannot be bypassed in some way or other.

I'd like to buy the DNX7100 or the Avic-D3, but I can't find the DNX7100 for less than $1199 or the D3 for less than $899 (Crutchfield has it for $999 with a free camera). Does anyone have a reputable source with cheaper prices? Thanks...

Adding a couple new head units:

Panasonic Strada CN-NVD905U
l133NVD905-f.jpeg

7" screen, HD based NAV, 30 GB. Looks like a competitor to the AVIC-Z2 but the Z2 has this one beat in features. Panasonic is also asking $1800 for this which basically is going to kill the deal for most people. Does not appear to do DIVX, no USB. This is a poor seller for sure.

JVC KW-AVX800

l105AVX800-f_mt.jpeg

This is a good unit. 7" Screen, USB, SD card, DiVX (not over SD slot though). JVC is currently the only manufacturer that offers DiVX ULTRA certified products. DiVX Ultra is a huge improvement over DiVX as it adds features such as chapters, language channels, etc. It's basically just like a DVD. Now, the bad. The Ipod is controlled with a box which means it's gonna be slow. Also, they list the USB devices as having a 10GB limitation but someone on Crutchfield reports being able to connect a 160GB drive.

Jensen VM9022
JENVM9022.jpg

Interesting deck. Why? At about $600 street price, you get a 6.5" screen, integrated Bluetooth, USB, and SD Card support. High speed Ipod controls and the GUI looks slick.

FYI, the Alpine IVA-W205 is also out. It's a good value at $899 Crutchfield price. Blackbird II to follow.

Last edited:
anyone know if AVIC-z2 will fit the JDM NAV POD??

From my experience - NO - not deep enough since the back side slopes off rather quickly...

Not to mention... That unit is pretty heavy. I'm not sure I would want to mount somethinhg that heavy on my dash, especially using the nav pod, considering it's held there by two screws that go into the dash... :confused:

Not to mention... That unit is pretty heavy. I'm not sure I would want to mount somethinhg that heavy on my dash, especially using the nav pod, considering it's held there by two screws that go into the dash... :confused:

thanks for the info, I'm getting the avicz2 for my bday (I'm buying it for myself:tongue: ) and thought it will fit in the nav pod (was planning to get it)...Owell:rolleyes: . I think I'm going to take a different direction now...installing it in the center console...

Any advice on center console? (plastic, or CF, don't want fiberglass tho)

thanks

Hey guys, I just bought the avic d3 for my 03 nsx and am having trouble with the install. I am using the factory bose and keep getting a popping sound when I turn off my car. I tried grounding everything in different locations. Also grounded the pioneer ground seperate from the ground in the harness. Used the amp lead (other blue wire) instead of the antenna lead, that stopped it from popping when I turn on the car. But I still get a pop when I turn it off.

- Also with the RCA Line level I spliced all four speakers and am using the Red wire inside as positive. Is that the right one???

- Am I supposed to connect all four speakers???

- And what harness are you guys using???

Any help would be apperciated.

Thanks

I am using the factory bose and keep getting a popping sound when I turn off my car. I tried grounding everything in different locations. Also grounded the pioneer ground seperate from the ground in the harness. Used the amp lead (other blue wire) instead of the antenna lead, that stopped it from popping when I turn on the car. But I still get a pop when I turn it off.

You did everything right. That popping noise is strange. My guess is that something is not right with the RCAs. Did you try unplugging the RCAs and seeing what happens? Do that, then if it is the RCAs, you might want to make sure they are soldered/spliced correctly with no frayed wires, etc.

- Also with the RCA Line level I spliced all four speakers and am using the Red wire inside as positive. Is that the right one???

- Am I supposed to connect all four speakers???

- And what harness are you guys using???

With the RCA splicing, I use the center pin for +. You just want to be consistent.

Yes, you should connect all 4 speakers. 70-1720 or equivalent Honda acura harness is really the only one that fits.

Thanks Malibu Rapper, I am going to check the connections again. Did anyone else have the same problem or is it just me.

Thanks

Hi

The Kenwood 8019 is very expensive in Norway, but I will probably go for it.

One usb for the Ipod control. I have a Ipod Nano now, and I need to buy another cable to access a Ipod Video when I buy it?

Can I use a external harddrive hooked up to the other USB to use as a external memory? I found how much volt it supplied, but I could not find how much was needed to run a 2.5" external usb drive. Can the stuff on the drive be accessed by the Kenwood?

Regards

I'm curious to know which of these double din units integrates Ipod video with their ipod integration systems?

I'm having problem with installing my Nekvox DVD/GPS/TV/SD card player. Problem is on trimming the center console on the side to fit the player in better and make it a little bit flush. At the moment it need to go in by about 5mm more. The screen slides down like the one shown below. Model number is N-7778. Made in Taiwan.

4799NVG-670WT_Features.jpg

So I started my double din installation today!!!

I bought a spare center console and started cutting and filling it in with bondo. Since I don't smoke, I was thinking of removing the ash tray and everything behind it so I can make a space to put my phone, wallet, etc. in.

How much room is behind the ash tray area? Is there enough room to make a storage compartment (like every other car on the market) so I don't have junk sliding around on the floor and under my feet?

Thanks!

Wow. That would be sick if someone made a nice pocket to replace the ashtray assembly (but somehow keep the lighter plug as a power socket?).

Since I use my NSX as a daily driver, I really feel the lack of storage space.

If anyone has any good shots of the area behind the ashtray and any dimensions of the entire area, please post them. I really don't want to drive around with the console off for 3 weeks while I work this idea out.

I'm thinking of using the JVC KD-NX5000 so I will have the maximum area for storage. http://www.mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027893&pathId=126&page=1

Any thoughts on this unit?

Thanks

Attachments

• 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 321
I just order the JVC NX5000.... should be here later this week.

I have been reading that you need to connect the VSS to the unit. Anyone have a picture where it is located on an 02 and where the best pace to tap into it might be?

Will post picts when it is installed.

Tell us how you like the JVC unit after using when installed. It seems to have a lot of great features, but based on a couple magazine reviews the small screen for navigation was very hard to live with... but I hope thats not the case as it seems pretty sick!

Back