• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Down Under Trackday NSX

Not much to report really visually, but plenty of Zac's effort has gone into building a strong base for the dash to fit perfectly into place but it's not possible to see from the pictures really.

P6250226.jpg

Next stage will be to trim the dash and modify the rest of the dash to suit our needs....... the plan Zac and I have discussed it going to look awesome in my opinion so fingers crossed in the next few weeks you'll see the results.

And just a little add on that arrived today :)

P6250225.jpg

More progress today on the dash, but once again nothing that's worth showing even though plenty of hours have gone into it. Zac has essentially been building some tie in's into the dash so that now it sits down perfectly, we now have a way to physically bolt the dash to the car to stop vibration and rattling etc etc so there's little to show, but plenty of effort going in as I said.

The plan now for the next few days is to get the main section of the dash tidied up around the edges where the dash meets the cage so it's tidy and then we are making a second part which will cover the tunnel, gear selector, handbrake etc etc and then they'll basically be tied together with some sort of basic fittings.

That leads onto the next part of this post which was the gear selector and handbrake setup. There were 2 issues here which were that I had the driving position totally different from how the stock setup was as I'd dropped the seating position and also moved the seat back quite a bit so it was going to be a real stretch to get to 1st gear for instance. So since the car was originally an auto I had to purchase the manual gear selector from Ross at STMPO, but unfortunately it got lost in my first big shipment from the USA and wasn't covered on insurance as the shipping companies all pointed fingers at each other !!!

So I had to find another second hand gear selector from another kind Prime user and NSX owner in Australia (thanks :) ) but unfortunately we didn't have the frame that the selector bolts to, and based on what I've said above I'd have had to cut it up anyhow so I just used the one from the automatic selector as a starting point.

I had purchased some of those aluminium braising rods mentioned a few pages back to look at fixing the block, but we didnt' use them (chickened out due to lack of knowledge on product) but was convinced it was good stuff for the right job, so took a band saw to the frame and pretty much split it down the middle, then cut out a 20mm piece and then used the braising rods to put it back together ! Then I cut a 40mm chunk off the back to bring the frame back towards the back of the car and did the same process on sticking that back in place........ worked brilliantly !

Then I had to braise a plate on the front to extend the frame back to the original holes at the front so I had 4 perfectly aligned holes to mount the frame solidly.

P6280228.jpg

P6280229.jpg

Once the frame itself was now bolted tightly in place and was well back relative to it's starting position so all good there, but the gear selector cables needed to be held in place, so I just braised in a flat plat with 2 holes drilled large enough for the cables to go though and drilled and tapped a hole either side to put a locking bolt into so that once the outer cable was through I can do up the screw and they can't move.

Please bear in mind, all the pics were taken without any real finishing, just took the pics when it was cooling down.

P6280227.jpg

P6280231.jpg

Just needed to drill and tap another couple of holes in the top for the gear selector to bolt into and voila..............

P6280230.jpg

P6280232.jpg

well not quite finished...... I thought I was......but....once I got it all in place I realised since I'd made new mountings for the selector cables that now they were about 15mm too long so I needed to undo it all again and then thread down the original rods another 15-20mm (luckily there was enough) and then I cut off the original thread to shorten the rod inners down and then adjusted, reassembled and it really was voila......... I can get 1-2-3-4-5 and reverse OK....... awesome :)

Hand brake isn't connected at the caliper end yet, but the handbrake works well as far as being in the right position and pulling the cables evenly so once I connect them to the calipers then they'll work well too........ another awesome !

Amazing how much time it's taken to get all of that stuff right (nearly 2 days solid work if I put all the time together).....

Also had some awesome support from Shad at Driving Ambition (as always) who was one of the primary inspirations for the build in the first place, as I wanted to base my radiator build on some designs Shad had used on Kips car and so Shad is organising a radiator for me as we speak.......... I don't know what to say other than What a true professional.......... thanks so much Shad for helping with our timeframes etc etc.

Will post more progress with the rest of the interior as it happens.

Last edited:
A little more progress to report on something I've been working away on slowly.......... wing mirrors....

I'm not sure if they're designed to suit a widebody or not, or if it's just because we've moved the drivers seat so much from stock, but the alignment of the STMPO Wizdom mirrors I purchased didn't really match as I had wanted. I had to have the glass on quite an angle to see everything I wanted so I really wanted to move the shell of the mirror a bit instead, so I used a part fibreglass part filler mix to build up the base so I could get that angle I wanted.

P6300233.jpg

P6300234.jpg

I've had some proper mirrored glass cut instead of the plastic mirror that I had before as it is not as thick so means I don't need to mount the electric motors so deep into the shell.

P6300235.jpg

Next stage was to cut the existing factory alloy window corner covers so they would fit inside the mirror base, and also needed to space it out so that I could get some fibreglass filler in behind the mount.

P6300236.jpg

P6300237.jpg

P6300238.jpg

Then I filled the base of the mirror with fibreglass filler and that combined with the filler underneath the alloy mount should see it bond together around the mount so that it becomes part of the base itself. I just clamped it in place and have left it to dry overnight......... fingers crossed eh !!! :)

P6300240.jpg

P6300241.jpg

P6300242.jpg

P6300243.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for the lack of updates, but work / life and racecar priorities have had to be reset a little bit recently and the progress hasn't been as constant as previously from my perspective, but glad to say that from Zac's perspective things have been progressing well and I know that the finished results of the dash (will post pictures in the next couple of days when it's done) will meet with everyones approval as it's just awesome !!!

Sorry for teasing, but I helped Zac put the carbon fibre on last night (huge thanks for letting me be part of the process) and today it looks even better when it was settled and hardened so I know people will approve.............. well I hope so !! LOL

Also, Bam from Speedtech came around also to have a look at where we would be best to run cabling from the ECU and also cabling from the front panel that Zac has built for me to put all of the switches and buttons into, and we had previously talked about a system from Racepak (who make the data logger dash I have) that basically means you don't need to have traditional fuses or relay circuits, it's all dealt with electronically which is awesome as it simplifies the wiring of the car and also allows you to setup failover and retry circuit settings in case of issues so it will help reliability and tracking down issues if we have them too.

smartwire.jpg

Can handle up to 30 channels at up to 125amps so should easily cover what we need.......
http://www.racepak.com/Components/Smartwire.php

Also, Shad from Driving Ambition worked some miracles on the radiator front and managed to get me one built and here in superquick time so we're able to start getting that mounted so as soon as the dash is finished we can get the windscreen put back in and start on the outside of the car starting with the radiator and shrouds we will need to get the whole cooling setup and bonnet (Hood) setup working. Thank you very much Shad...... !!!! The build and finish of the radiator was awesome........ just what I guess people have come to expect from Driving Ambition.

Will post more progress pics of the dash as promised when it's ready for it's reveal :)

Last edited:
I think he means aero drag from the wide body and wings. But 500-550hp should compensate nicely :smile:

I know he meant aero drag, I just don't really see that there is going to be a lot of extra drag in reality.

The widebody shouldn't really provide that much extra drag based on the frontal area calculations that I've done (I'm a race car engineering subscriber so it's made me dig out the calculator a few times to check that I really understood what the hell the propeller heads in the magazine were on about !!! LOL).

Obviously the rear wing will create some drag over the factory setup, but pretty much everything else we've done I can't really see a large increase in drag, only hopefully a large increase in downforce and positive airflow changes !

I'd be really interested to hear other peoples take on things if I've gone badly wrong in my calculations and thinkings as I'm far from an expert on the subject.

There's no doubt the wing will have a significant effect on acceleration once you're over (say) 150kph and top speed will be reduced. I've recently calculated exactly these effects for the GTC 500 wing in my MATLAB model so I'll provide comparative graphs a bit later. Also the wide body increases frontal area, and maybe Cd but these will be relatively small effects.

On the plus side, the wing gives you heaps of downforce so you can get that 550hp down much earlier on corner exits and take fast sweepers at higher speeds. And high speed braking could be improved as downforce forces the back wheels onto the track, provided you've got the right brake bias.

Of course you know all this Fraser but I just like blabbing on Prime ! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Sorry it's been a while since the last update......... there has been progress, but I haven't wanted to be someone posting constant updates with little real content.

2 area's we've been focusing on is the dashboard and interior and the mounting of the radiator so that we can start on the bonnet and ducting. Today I've also started on the electrical system by sorting the original loom and connectors and making sure I had all of the original connectors for things like coil ignitor packs for the spark plugs, water temp sensors, knock sensors, oil pressure etc etc as Bam from Speedtech is coming on Friday hopefully to get the base of the electrical system started and then it'll be up to me to get it finished off (read ;a lot of soldering and heatshrink)

So, first is the dash........ obviously still pretty raw in it's finish, but I wanted to share as Zac has put a heap of effort into it, and of course as always it looks soooo much better in the flesh.... The part still needs to be sanded back and the joins tidied so they're not so visible also.

We're currently working on the centre tunnel that will join up to this part so that should be finished by early next week. Zac has purposely built up the passenger side of the centre console so that it's angled more towards me. The plan is to put a seperate panel over the top of the existing gap rather than inside the existing gap if that makes sense, it will contain the buttons and switches etc to complete the dash.

P7200251.jpg

P7200252.jpg

P7200253.jpg

Second part is the radiator from Driving Ambition....... It's taken a while to come up with some brackets that would be easy to fit an still do the job so we went for a fairly straight forward design where the radiator sits in the bottom mounts and the top ones are put in once the bottom is in place and then bolted tight with rubber grommet mounts. All of the brackets have foam inside so the radiator is not held metal to metal anywhere.

The design is based on what Driving Ambition did with one of their customers cars (I'm sure some know it well) so for those who don't know that car, the idea is to force air from the front directly through the radiator with some ducting and then once through the radiator another set of ducting will bring the hot air up and over the bonnet and roof...... I tried to take pictures to show things from the different angles for those who haven't already seen a similar layout.

P7200247.jpg

P7200248.jpg

P7200249.jpg

P7200250.jpg

In other news, I am going to have to put the whole project on hold for a couple of months once the current stuff we're doing is complete (body panel finish and painting etc etc ) as I simply can't keep finding the money it's taking to keep this project going and so once we're done with the labour only jobs like sanding the body panels and primer and paint style work then it'll have to sit still for a while at my workshop till it's ready to go to Speedtech as I don't want to take it there and then not be able to pay the bill for the tune, fuel system and other bits that will need doing, so I'd rather delay the whole thing for a couple of months to get ahead first.......Will keep everyone up to date if things change.

very impressive radiator configuration .... curious as to the idea behind the irregular shape of the hood vent, i.e. what's the purpose of the big slot on right rear of the vent ?

Man that dashboard looks sick!

Glad you guys like what we've done with the dash, it'll look even better once we've finished it with a central tunnel in the same carbon and also the dash is mounted in it's own part also..

Sparky....... that is a work in progress. On the original bonnet (LHD version) there is a bump there to allow it to clear the ABS unit...... we of course don't need it so we cut it out and we'll be making it match the rest of the bonnet now the radiator is in place we can finish the ducting down......

Regarding earlier posts about wing drag, here's some theoretical figures & graphs from my MATLAB model showing the effect of a GTC500 wing on an NSX that has an artificial engine output of 520hp (see chart).

Note the engine performance curves were produced by simply multiplying stock torque curve by ~ 1.9 (i.e. no consideration of FI changing the curves etc)

The other graph shows acceleration for 4 NSX with this artificial engine :
1) stock 6SP - weight with driver 1410kg (~3110lbs)
2) plus GTC500 wing at 5 degrees Angle of Attack (AoA)
3) at 10 degrees AoA
4) at 15 degrees AoA

Times from zero to 100/150/200/250/275 kph are:
2.99 5.67 9.57 15.48 20.30
3.00 5.71 9.74 16.19 22.06
3.00 5.72 9.80 16.46 22.81
3.00 5.74 9.87 16.83 23.93

disclaimer :smile: don't be fooled by all those decimal places. Of course I can't guarantee accuracy 100%, especially absolute values. As for any moderately complex model it depends on many assumptions (e.g. drive train efficiency, non-linear performance due to wheel spin off the line etc). However I am confident relative values can be trusted as being close enough to reality to make them useful for comparisons, like this one between wing/no wing.

Attachments

• 520hp engine.pdf
    10.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 520hp GTC500 wing.pdf
    29.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Geek !!!! LOL

I'll take that as a compliment :smile:

when you get car to final config and have weight and dyno charts I'll run it for you car to predict performance, then once you've laid to real rubber on a real track it would be cool to calibrate predicted against actuals !

Dash and the radiator mounting look great! I can't believe how fast this whole build is going. Glad I can take a month or two to review all that you have done so far and drool.

Keep up the awesome build and continue on when I've picked up on all the details.

Great build...thanks for sharing. Look forward to more updates as you find the time. :)

Just saw this thread!
Awesome build and big props coming from NZ.
Look forward to seeing it progress and good to see my front bumper lives on!

Nico

Hi Nico,

Yeah I believe I got the last one from the guys who made or supplied yours.......

We probably won't change it at all other than the adjustments we've made for the headlights as it works well for everything we have planned.

Your build was certainly an inspiration for me to originally look at building an NSX as I loved the widebody look of your build so thanks for that :D

Well it's that time again............. another update :)

I've been excited for days to get this part of the car finished and it's finally in there and I can share pics. The centre tunnel of the interior is now complete and I think it's come out looking awesome.

Zac's magic powers were in full effect and it's fitted pretty much first time after careful measuring and trimming and so I fitted up the hand held extinguisher to compliment the on board one which will be used to cover the engine bay and then I can use the handheld to cover any issues in the cabin or to help any other track go'ers who might need assistance.

I've spent quite a few days over the last week or so making brackets and running lines from the main extinguisher to the engine bay so I have 4 nozzles, 2 pointing across the top of the engine at the fuel system and the other 2 mounted lower down pointing at each exhaust manifold. Hopefully this should mean it should cover the source of any fire as well as cooling the source of most re-ignitions (hot manifolds). Forgot to take pictures, but will post them later to show what I've been doing !

P8020254.jpg

P8020255.jpg

P8020256.jpg

P8020257.jpg

P8020258.jpg

P8020259.jpg

We've also started work tonight on the mounting for the data logger itself to tie it all in together nicely and essentially finish the interior (apart from door linings) which is a good step forward. Once we've got that stuff done we can get the windscreen back in and start on the exterior in earnest.

Bam from Speedtech is helping to get the wiring loom sorted and then it should return to me later this week for me to continue wiring it all up to the factory connectors and then we can test that side of things too.

Fingers crossed I should be able to order my airjacks and my power management controller in a couple of weeks so if the USD stays as it is or close it will be awesome as the exchange rate is great for us at the moment and then I'll have to wait about 4 weeks till it arrives with the brakes and other bits and peices waiting to ship from the US.

Last edited:
Back