• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Down Under Trackday NSX

Hi Ross,

We had planned to do the ones running from the main front legs down to the front footplates as you've shown in the last of the photo's, but hadn't thought about the other ones running to the front strut bar....... Hmmmmm more cutting work to be done maybe !!

Thanks for the advice.

From a cage building standpoint... they make more sence then I can explain...

it's worth the 3 feet of tubing weight

Oh FFS.......... it seems the Work Meister M1-R's aren't going to fit either now without spacers in which case I may as well go to a 1 piece wheel if I can't get the perfect offset without a spacer.

Well there is one option, but they're about $8,000 USD which is madness for race wheels so I'd rather have more sets than expensive wheels that will get damaged.

So I'm going for one of two of my favourite wheels which happen to look close to the ARTA NSX car which I'm kinda basing my build on........

My preferred
advanRZ-DF800.jpg

Or these also are nice
advanRG-D800.jpg

Just once again awaiting confirmation of offsets and clearances for brakes, but I don't think we'll have an issue now I've capitulated and decided to run spacers since it's become very clear after weeks of back and forth with manufacturers that I just can't get what I need in the sizes I need them.......

Fingers crossed, I can finally put the wheel saga to bed and get something here and on the car !

Still haven't had confirmation from Advan on the wheels, but hopefully I'll hear tomorrow !!

Steve has been making some great progress on the cage and I've been like a little kid at christmas every day coming down and seeing it finally getting close to being a complete cage !

We've taken the decision to cut out the floor on the passenger side as well as the drivers side to drop the floor down on that side too since the floor is going to be that low anyhow and we're worried about space for the passenger just as we are for me, so it's an easy thing to do so we've just done it........

P3100068.jpg

P3100069.jpg

P3100070.jpg

P3100071.jpg

Then I finally got time to drill the frame of the rear window and then tap threads in them all so I could bolt the lexan onto the rear engine window hatch in place of the factory glass. Reality is that weight wise it doesn't save that much as we have to use 5mm thick stuff according to motorsport NZ and then I have to put 2 x aluminium strips down it to as well to support it (pointless in this case, but rules are rules).

P3100072.jpg

P3100073.jpg

P3100074.jpg

Just thought I'd add some pics of my new helmet and HANS devices.......

Got a ridiculously good deal on them both and have found someone local to do a custom paint job on the helmet so looking forward to getting that done.....

Wasn't going to run a HANS device initially due to cost, but then I started to consider it after seeing some of the video's around the net on with and without HANS devices in a crash ! Guess you can't put a price on safety as they say.

P3110075.jpg

P3110076.jpg

P3110077.jpg

I'm glad you got a good deal but HANS is no longer the standard for neck and spine safety. There are a number of other things that seem to give much better protection. Still I can't believe you said you were going without because it was expensive.... LOL.... have you looked at the car you are building?!!

There is no other Head/neck support which is approved by our motorsport authority unfortunately so it's HANS or nothing.......... Seems stupid to me, but they also don't allow cO2 extinghuishers either only powder or foam !

Yeah I guess it's because the rest of the car has stolen all my funds that I've now got nothing left for the other bits !! LOL

Got the window bonded with clear adhesive and all bolted back in place and it came out good. Then I trimmed the window to size and put it on the car........ came out just as I'd hoped.

Heated it for a good 30-40 minutes with a heat gun in the most stressed area's to help it, so no idea if it's worked as I don't want to undo it now, but I'll keep heating it over time and see how it goes.

P3110078.jpg

P31100772.jpg

P3110079.jpg

Zac is kindly giving me some time tomorrow to get the panels back on the car and get them all fitting nicely so can't wait to get it back together and looking more complete.

Well there's more progress today which is great.........it's sooooo frustrating when I post these updates as the pictures just don't give an appreciation of the hours that have been put into it to get there......

Just an example is the new lexan window between the engine and the cabin which today took 4 hours to cut out ! 4 hours I hear some of you cry, but it needed to be perfect around the cage bars so we can seal it up easily with silicon or some kind of sealant and it took at least 2-3 minutes to get it in each time I made a small change and due to the shape you just had to guesstimate sometimes so I was going little by little as it's quite expensive stuff, but got there in the end.

Obviously still has the protective plastic on it......
P3140083.jpg

On top of what I've done today Steve has been working hard to get the seat rails all sorted before we get the floor on the drivers and passenger side welded up sometime next week. We're getting very close to having it finished now as you can see by the below pictures. Were going to tack things in place but still allow it to be removed in one piece for now as the guys welding the floor in need it out of the way to make the best job of that.
P3140081.jpg

P3140082.jpg

P3140084.jpg

I've also (with Steves guidance) machined up some "spuds" to go into the tube so the seat rails can bolt directly to the cage bars we're running for the rails. These will be welded in place once we've drilled the holes tomorrow or Wednesday and then we'll be ready to test fit a seat in place and make sure it sits as low as we need and is all perfect and then it'll go away for a week or two to have the floor and other bits done so the updates will slow down for a while.

P3140080.jpg

Hey Fraser,

Very nice progress! Nobody (who has never done it) will believe the amount of time it takes to cut & fit (& re-cut & re-fit) just about any component of custom fabrication! You obviously care about the quality of the outcome, which I applaud!

FYI, I discovered a family of Lexan that is designed to withstand HIGH temperatures! They call the family "XHT", & designate the temperature threshold with a suffix, i.e, XHT-220 will withstand 220 degrees C.(428 degrees F. for us yanks), while "ordinary" Lexan is only good to about 120 C.

Here is a link to the "brain trust" @ G.E.

http://kbam.geampod.com/KBAM/Reflection/Assets/15337.pdf

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Dale, that's helpful for the future.

Re the fabrication, I feel like I'm just playing at it compared to you !! LOL, but it's been great to learn as I go...... still let the people who know their stuff do the important bits, but at least I've been able to say I've helped build my car instead of just fronting with the cash to someone else.

Thanks Dale, that's helpful for the future.

Re the fabrication, I feel like I'm just playing at it compared to you !! LOL, but it's been great to learn as I go...... still let the people who know their stuff do the important bits, but at least I've been able to say I've helped build my car instead of just fronting with the cash to someone else.

INDEED!
FWIW, I know how to weld----even used to be half decent at it (35 years ago when I owned a 4-wheel drive van manufacturing company!)..... but you know what they say about brain surgeons who attempt to operate on themselves!

Lets just say I am totally consumed with the "thinking-drawing-engineering R.& D., and ALL fabwork that can be done with a drill press, cold-saw, 4" grinder, belt sander, & an array of air tools, including the painting discipline......SO, I'm perfectly content to let the experts do the TIG welding, & machine-work.
At 200 MPH, I don't want to be wondering if my welding skills are as good as they should be!....still have a couple of teenagers, you know!

Well a little more progress today.......... got my rear window hatch back from the tinter and I think it came out great !

P3150085.jpg

P3150086.jpg

P3150090.jpg

Also got the rear guards back from Zac and refitted them and got the rear bumper all lined up and it all came together well..
P3150089.jpg

P3150091.jpg

P3150092.jpg

Zac also brought back the front bumper back with the new adjustments for the headlights and it looks top notch as always from Zac......... it's obviously not finished, but gives you the idea.......... side skirts next.......... :D

P3150087.jpg

Finally my pedals have shown up some 3 months after I ordered them !!! (was waiting on a master cylinder on backorder) so at least soon we can get the pedals mounted along with the steering column.

P3160094.jpg

P3160095.jpg

P3160098.jpg

P3160099.jpg

And Steve has once again worked his magic and we have a complete passenger side seat mounting setup in place ! So he stopped to enjoy a celebratory cigarette !! LOL

P3160100.jpg

Some more pics of the 95% finished product (just bars to go from the front to the forward footplate.
P3160101.jpg

P3160102.jpg

P3160103.jpg

P3160104.jpg

P3160105.jpg

This photo was to show how the seat was positioned, but the photo is deceptive and it looks like it sits lower than the sills of the car, but it doesn't, we've put a level across from side to side and there is about 2-3mm gap which will be ideal as the new floor will not doubt be about that so it will be perfect.....
P3160106.jpg

OK so this will probably be the final update for a while since it's going to another workshop to have the floor done as I've said.

Sorry about quality of pics, but I left my other camera at home.........

Steve's been in the workshop like Santa's little helper and when I came in this afternoon to get something else from the workshop I found the side intrusion bars all done !!! I must be a bit weird I guess as it made me all giddy like a kid at xmas...... I think it makes it look F n awesome !! ........ can't wait to get the floor done now so we can complete the drivers side seat rails.

IMAG0117.jpg

IMAG0118.jpg

IMAG0119.jpg

Man Fraser, I joined just for this thread.

Absolutely freaking awesome job you're doing in Welly!:eek: I'm from NZ too and I don't even have an NSX (it is a dream), but damn am I proud to have you, that car and that level of craftsmanship in this country! (Sounding like I'm Mr Key)

When you finish this monster you ought to show it off amongst the local car enthusiast community man! I would drive down to Wellington JUST to see it.

Are you planning to enter any racing series here? I can see Targa NZ being a goal, but it requires a lot of effort from a huge team

What are your plans for the engine?

Sorry if the questions have been addressed before, I only quickly read through

Thanks for the kind words.........

You're right, I do plan on running in the Targa at some point, but probably just the Bambina as it's a big effort to do the full Targa. I'm good friends with Joe McAndrew who you'll know and Kevin O'Neill who own's Joes GTR and prepares it and the R35 GTR's for VIP petfoods and they have offered to help support me with shared resources if I want to do the full Targa, but I think it's unrealistic even in the long term.

I do plan on bringing the car to a couple of shows such as 4 and rotary nationals so you never know you might see it :D

I think it'll be around the end of the year before we're finished to the point where it will see the track and then maybe another few months to iron out and improve anything we have issues with.

Engine wise we're not going to do much to be honest as it seems there's really no point as Honda as always made an awesome job of making what is essentially a race engine for the road car. We just plan on a baffled sump, some new pistons (to take the eventual boost) and an oil pump gear which is known to get brittle over time.

Apart from that there's really no point as the cranks are a work of art and has titanium conrods and the 3.0L engines rev nicely so we'll run it in NA form first and then will run a single turbo later on.......... wanting to end up around 500-550HP at the wheels in the end, but we'll see how it all goes....... to be honest, after removing 3-400KG from the car (should be around 1050KG ready to go) then even in NA form it's going to be good fun !! :D

so how much headroom did you gain overall with this over stock? do you know an exact figure? Car is coming along nicely! thanks for the pics. Can you tell me what the main benefit of the tilton pedals are over stock?

It's pretty hard to tell how much headroom I gained over stock as I had a headliner, no rollcage and different seats and seating position etc etc so it's too hard to tell on the headroom side of things, but we have dropped the seat down at least 70mm or so from the depth of the original seat mounting holes, so I guess that in turn means that technically if I mounted the factory seats in (not possible but you know what I mean) that it would amount to 70mm extra headroom.

More importantly, we've moved the seat more towards the middle of the car also which gives just as good an improvement for taller drivers as the side of the roof comes in so quickly that moving closer to the car takes me away from that. Will know if everything has worked out in a week or so once we get the car back from having it's new floor put in.

Re the Tilton pedals, there's a couple of reasons for me. Firstly, my car started life as an auto, so I had no factory pedals, but even if I did, I would still go the Tilton way (floor mount if you're small enough) as they have a built in brake balance bar so it's easy to adjust the brake balance front to rear on the move. Also, with the new driving position, it's easier to mount these in the right place and with the new brakes, it's also easier to choose the right size master cylinders to suit the new calipers......

The advantage of the floor mount is that they offer clutch, brake and accelerator, but with the reverse swing mounts they only offer clutch and brake...... no idea why they don't do one with an accelerator as well. Just going to use the stock accelerator instead, but would have been nice to have all been one unit.

I was going to initially go for the Tilton 900 series pedals, but after a good long chat on the phone to Tilton, they told me to save my money and get the 600's !

Fraser I haven't heard this before...
"an oil pump gear which is known to get brittle over time."
can you enlighten where you picked this up, and what your solution is
thanks

Well I've got to admit, some of that is hearsay, as with a lot of these things I guess, I've just heard a few people mention that this is a worthwhile upgrade to protect against failing oil pump gears once they're older, but also have to admit that recently I've had the other side of the story saying it might be a waste of time as the factory units are OK so it's a bit hard to know 100%.

I purchased this from SOS which if we're honest seem to be fairly well focused on the NSX and so I'd hope they wouldn't be selling something like this that simply wasn't needed......... but I guess I may never know !

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/oil_pump_gear/

The known to get brittle part was a generic statement as I've seen plenty of cast parts get brittle when they're 10 years old never mind 20 years old as mine are !

thanks for background. If SoS went to that trouble I expect it is a real issue. But I'm guessing it's not so easy to get at the oil puimp so this is a job I'd reserve for when / if engine is next out of car, which hopefully isn;t because the oil pump failed ! :eek:

So I'll add this to my short list of things that "might fail on race track". Another one I've heard is failure of the harmonic balancer, flying off into the timing belt = engine failure. And again there's an SoS solution:

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/Cedar_Ridge/Damper_Shield/

Last edited:
thanks for background. If SoS went to that trouble I expect it is a real issue. But I'm guessing it's not so easy to get at the oil puimp so this is a job I'd reserve for when / if engine is next out of car, which hopefully isn;t because the oil pump failed ! :eek:

So I'll add this to my short list of things that "might fail on race track". Another one I've heard is failure of the harmonic balancer, flying off into the timing belt = engine failure. And again there's an SoS solution:

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/Cedar_Ridge/Damper_Shield/

ummmm

For those that dont know... The oversized oil pump gear was originaly sold with a larger oil pump housing. Price was an issue as they cost around $1000.

Comptech parts were also sold in honda/acura dealerships. The replacement oil pumps and oil pump gears are why they are not today... at least what I have been told relates the two.

There are many possible blown motor due to the oil pump gear replacement in a stock housing. I have made Fraser aware of this and we are both crossing our fingers.

I will always use a stock oil pump gear in any NSX I use a c30a in...

And that is Cedar Ridge (tidave's) solution that sos chooses to sell. It is not sos's solution... it is a part they sell that Dave engineered.

Unlike the Kenne Bell blower that sos puts their name on... SOS hasent put their name on the crank pulley cover.

Back