• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

FX500 delivery and first report

KGP

Legendary Member
My baby finally made its way home last night. I'll do a detailed write-up with pics later, but thought I'd share my initial impression: WHOA! :eek: :D

Thanks to Mike, Ken and the rest of the crew at FX for a wonderful job and the attention to detail. The car is a freaking screaming banshee. When the car arrived, sjs and I slapped on the Volks with a new set of S03 shoes and then took her for a shake-down. The first few drives found myself being rather careful with how much throttle I gave her, because the power is pretty overwhelming. The dual ball bearing turbo spools up very fast. The pull in third gear was so hard it was scarry, not because that gear pulls any harder, it's just that in third your starting to get to a higher speed, where if something did break loose it's not exactly like recovering from tires breaking loose in first gear.

A bit later I swung around the corner and picked up NSX01 for a quick spin. I think his grin was a big as mine. :) One thing we were discussing was the exhaust note. While the note is a by-product of the end result, it is truly music to an NSX enthusiast ears. The thing just freaking wails! I mean this is the best sound I have ever heard come out of an NSX, period. While docile sounding at low RPM and no load, its mannerisms change the second the throttle is pushed a bit. Absolutely the closest thing to an F car w/Tubi in an NSX.

This morning I left a bit early for work in order to grab another grin. Took a few back roads, and found that the traction characteristics were just a tad different from last night. Maybe because I was gaining a bit more confidence, maybe because the pavement was a bit cooler, or maybe a combination of both. Bottom line - things got a tad squirrely in second gear under load, but was easily controllable. :D

Lag: If anyone still thinks there is some kind of rush that comes on when you don't expect it, dispel that notion. Sure, there is a rush of power from the turbo boost, but this rush of power is similar to my BBSC, except that it comes on far sooner, and has one hell of a lot bigger kick in the pants. Read: Not even the same car. For anyone who has ridden in the Factor X mule, the dual ball bearing turbo on my car not only spools up faster than what they have in place, but it is incredably smooth. I can't get over how this car is so docile, being capable of driven daly, yet turns into Mr. Hyde on command. Far out!

------------------------------------------------

[Edit - 8/12/04]: Pictures uploaded. See the higher resolution pics in my Prime Photo Gallery.

4853IMG_0231-thumb.jpg
4853IMG_0221-thumb.jpg

4853IMG_0217-thumb.jpg
4853IMG_0237-thumb.jpg

4853IMG_0236-thumb.jpg
4853IMG_0235-thumb.jpg

4853IMG_0232-thumb.jpg
4853IMG_0229-thumb.jpg

4853IMG_0228-thumb.jpg
4853IMG_0227-thumb.jpg

4853IMG_0238-thumb.jpg

4853IMG_0226-thumb.jpg
4853IMG_0225-thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Can't wait to hear more! Looking forward to pics and dyno results too. Glad to hear of your joy! :D

Now I REALLY have to get up there for the meet!

Gene Rules!

Now go find some F50's to race :)

Make sure you take some sound clips too!

Awesome! Glad you got the car back and its running great.

Now, when do we all need to log onto SupraForums to see KGP tearing it up? :D

Congrats it sounds like a fun car.

Sorry if I just missed this, but........ Have you posted dyno w/ AF?

Has anyone driven one of these at the track yet to see if they will hold up to serious use?

xsn said:
Have you posted dyno w/ AF?
I did a while back. 550 and 400tq. AFR is a tad under 12.

As far as holding up at the track, I guess it depends on how the engine and tranny is built, as well as the system itself and how it's controlled/tuned. Personally, I took no shortcuts. Mine was built with the understanding that it would be tracked, not drag raced. IAT's when putting 500 to the wheels are only a few degrees over ambient, and when putting 550 down they are about 20 over ambient. The radiator is larger than large. Turbo is water cooled. Oil cooler inside left quarter panel duct. Critical functions have alarms. AFR is monitored via an AEM UEGO, and of course the engine is controlled by an AEM EMS. At 9lbs of boost the car generates 500rwhp, which is far less boost required than most other FI systems, which keeps the temps down. Then we have the internal build; Wiseco low-comp pistons, SS valves, everything coated, etc. The tranny was cryo treated and given a blue print build. Given what was done with the car, I feel as confident in tracking it than with anything else long of NA. Bottom line - we will find out!

KGP, I find it hard (not impossible) to believe you're getting 500rwhp at only 9lbs of boost UNLESS more than just making the block more robust was done. Did you modify your cams or cam timing, port your heads, add larger valves, change your stock intake manifold, remove the cats, increase the displacement, engineer special equal length turbo headers, or do any other changes that would increase your VE significantly (or reduce pumping/friction losses) over a standard NSX long block? Also, 10 degrees over ambient IAT seems extremely efficient for any air-to-air system. Is yours an air-to-H20 and if so, are you using a large capacity holding tank or some form of auxiliary cooling for the water to prevent heatsoak during extended track time. Based on the laws of physics and current intercooler/aftercooler technology, the fact that you're seeing only 10 to 15% IAT increase during continual boosting when the best intercoolers efficiency are in the 75 to 80% range with additional losses when going air to H2O (Laminova cores a bit better) is a bit difficult to explain. Maybe it was a very cold day as the delta T makes them a bit more efficient. I'm not disputing your claims, I (and other tuners and system designers) just want to make sure we're all comparing apples to apples when talking various FI systems. Thanks, mark

Last edited:
Mark911 said:
KGP, I find it hard (not impossible) to believe you're getting 500rwhp at only 9lbs of boost UNLESS more than just making the block more robust was done.
Never said other things weren't done to it. ;) It's common knowledge that the FX500 increases displacement to 3.2 liters. As to other mods, I'm not entirely comfortable in discussing some of them. Reason being, Factor X has put a hell of a lot of research and development time and expense into achieving what they have. If they care to disclose some trade secrets (so to speak), that's their gig. Myself, I'll respect what they choose to remain confidential. That said, the valves are same size, no cats, OEM cams.
Also, 10 degrees over ambient IAT seems extreamly efficient for any air to air system. Is yours an air to H20 and if so, are you using a large capacity holding tank or some form of axuillary cooling for the water to prevent heatsoak during extended track time.
It is air to water, and yes, there is a rather large holding tank mounted where the spare tire would be located. It is also sheilded from heat exhausted from the radiator. I already have posted a picture of that in some thread. Will the IAT's remain the same under track conditions? I don't know. I only know what was logged under dyno load for now. However, the car should be getting much better airflow (areas not helped by the fan at the dyno) than when it was on the dyno.

Last edited:
KGP, thanks again for all your patience and understanding, dealing with clients like yourself makes our work a joy. The dynapack graph posted a few months back is a bit distorted due to the display characteristics of the software. We do have the new software that lends us the ability to stretch the screen like the typical dynos. Upon permission, the next nsxprime FX500 (sig) we will post the results in that format. Btw, our Mule will be going through a major overhaul to catch up with you guys.

On all of the rides we have given, the first thing people comment on is the sound:)

Mark911 said:
KGP, I find it hard (not impossible) to believe you're getting 500rwhp at only 9lbs of boost UNLESS more than just making the block more robust was done. Did you modify your cams or cam timing, port your heads, add larger valves, change your stock intake manifold, remove the cats, increase the displacement, engineer special equal length turbo headers, or do any other changes that would increase your VE significantly (or reduce pumping/friction losses) over a standard NSX long block? Also, 10 degrees over ambient IAT seems extremely efficient for any air-to-air system. Is yours an air-to-H20 and if so, are you using a large capacity holding tank or some form of auxiliary cooling for the water to prevent heatsoak during extended track time. Based on the laws of physics and current intercooler/aftercooler technology, the fact that you're seeing only 10 to 15% IAT increase during continual boosting when the best intercoolers efficiency are in the 75 to 80% range with additional losses when going air to H2O (Laminova cores a bit better) is a bit difficult to explain. Maybe it was a very cold day as the delta T makes them a bit more efficient. I'm not disputing your claims, I (and other tuners and system designers) just want to make sure we're all comparing apples to apples when talking various FI systems. Thanks, mark

Maybe we can assist KGP on this one. Without getting into much detail, the block was bored out to 93mm. We are running slightly lower compression pistons, the cams were left OEM, heads were worked a bit, the manifold was modified, the cats are removed, and the turbo headers, piping and exhaust were modified.

In terms of the cooling, we utilized our own custom air-water system, with a large capacity tank, and heat exchanger. The intake logs were done while on the dynapacks.

Mark 911, it sounds like we really think alike, do we happen to know you?

Mark911 said:
Also, 10 degrees over ambient IAT seems extremely efficient... Maybe it was a very cold day as the delta T makes them a bit more efficient.
It was a 100 degree day. I don't recall exactly how many pulls, but I think there were five pulls that preceeded the 20 degree over ambient recording.

KGP said:
Never said other things wernt done to it. ;) It's common knowledge that the FX500 increases displacement to 3.2 liters.

I thought it was 3.3L? Or is that SoS?

3.3 is for the FX NA build, and also the SOS NA build I believe. But who cares about NA! :D j/k

Congrats Gene I can't wait to see that BEAST !!!!

I for one think my NA NSX can take down KGP's beast in the 1/4 mile. ;)

I have lightened up my NSX, have cat back exhaust mods, and a chip - that should make up for the 200+ hp difference - don't you think?

Here is my "Top 10" ways we could make this a fair race ("drum roll please"):

10) KGP has to put a large brick under his gas pedal

9) KGP has to tow a horse trailer

8) KGP has to have hot lava in his intercooler tank

7) The girl you kiss in the winner's circle will be Rosanne Barr

6) Race to the bottom of a sheer cliff

5) Nick gets to install those blade things that come out of the wheels

4) Race in reverse

3) Route the exhaust into KGP's car

2) Only allowed to push the cars from behind

and finally number 1

1) Genital cuff attached to the gas pedal

:D

Gene.....

.....if I make a roadie, can I drive your car? :)

That will collapse some during the suction at full boost.

Tom, it's not exactly a dryer vent. :) Give FX just a bit of credit here guys. It's not like it's new material that hasn't been holding up to far more air than I am sucking.

I believe the pre-turbo intake hose is reinforced with metal coils. It does not collapse. However, I'm sure Mikey can give a more a detailed description of the material.

Back