• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Got Pulled Over Doing 105 MPH

I got pulled over doing 105 MPH on the Atlantic City Expressway in NJ. The cop slapped me with three tickets: (1) speeding; (2) reckless driving; and (3) excessive speed.

Isn't excessive speed and speeding redundant? Isn't that like charging a person that beats another to death with murder and assault?

I am considering going to court, but I'm pretty sure the judge will show me no mercy because I was going so fast. Any suggestions?

Forget about any type of decent deal in New Jersey. They are notorious for convicting without offering the type of plea deals we get in NY. Expect to pay a hefty fee to a local lawyer who hopefully has enough connections to avoid you getting your license suspended.

hmmm... Charley, you're best bet is to get a proven/effective lawyer. I'm quite surprised you weren't arrested (I guess it depends on the posted speed limit, ie. 55mph, 65mph, 70mph, etc). In many states, "wreckless driving" is a Class_B misdomeanor which is quite serious. If you have no prior arrest history, relatively clean driving record, etc... you stand a reasonable chance in court to begin w/. Definitely pursue this matter in court w/o simply putting it behind you (ie. paying fine, etc).

There Is A Difference

Speeding is where you go, say, 5 MPH over the speed limit, but that is not considered excessive. However, +30 MPH over is.

Do they have something like traffic school. I know here in CA, if you are >25 over the limit traffic school is out. You got to eat the ticket. The reckless is more serious so you need to give the conditions and circumstances of the 105 (probably no help), like no traffic, 3:00 AM. Video cam over extensive days, the traffic flow and such...... tho 105 is 105 and no amount of explaining is going to help you for doing that speed.

charleysung said:
I got pulled over doing 105 MPH on the Atlantic City Expressway in NJ. The cop slapped me with three tickets: (1) speeding; (2) reckless driving; and (3) excessive speed.

Isn't excessive speed and speeding redundant? Isn't that like charging a person that beats another to death with murder and assault?

I am considering going to court, but I'm pretty sure the judge will show me no mercy because I was going so fast. Any suggestions?

By looking at your personalize plate, are you a lawyer yourself?

105 mph?? Ouch!

How did the cop get you? (radar, pacing) If you don't have one already, you might consider getting a good radar detector. AND, ease up a little (I'm sure you realized that already).

Good luck and get a good lawyer.

AndyH said:
By looking at your personalize plate, are you a lawyer yourself?

Very keen eye. Yes, I am a lawyer, but I do commercial litigation and know nothing about traffic violations.

Right now, my choices are: (1) just pay the fine; (2) go to court without a lawyer and beg for mercy and hope for some reduction in points or fines; or (3) go to court with a lawyer and pay hefty legal fees (possibly in addition to the fines).

I am leaning towards number (1). I am hoping that NJ points do not transfer onto my VA license. Anyone know how that works? Do all out of state points get added to your license, or only points from a state that has some sort of reciprocity arrangement with your home state?

charleysung said:
Very Right now, my choices are: (1) just pay the fine; (2) go to court without a lawyer and beg for mercy and hope for some reduction in points or fines; or (3) go to court with a lawyer and pay hefty legal fees (possibly in addition to the fines).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
As a attorney you know only a fool goes into court without an attorney. The fines/penalties that may be imposed on you could be expensive and serious. If I were in your spot I would get representation because you might lose your driving privilege.

charleysung said:
I am leaning towards number (1). I am hoping that NJ points do not transfer onto my VA license. Anyone know how that works? Do all out of state points get added to your license, or only points from a state that has some sort of reciprocity arrangement with your home state?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check your DMV web site. In NY there are very few states and parts of Canada where points do in fact transfer from state to state.

Charley,

Hurry!!! Dump your NSX NOW!!! and get one of those Pepboys' scooters (no need for a license)
problem solved :D :D :D

we'll rule the HOV lanes together bro

Jon
p.s. Ary knows a very good attorney. He recently got off his wreckless/speeding ticket completely. Judge just threw his case out due to improper calibration of cop's laser or something like that. You need a good attoney, you'll be alright, dawg!! Call Ary. If you don't know the number, call me.

dyee said:
Do they have something like traffic school. I know here in CA, if you are >25 over the limit traffic school is out. You got to eat the ticket. The reckless is more serious so you need to give the conditions and circumstances of the 105 (probably no help), like no traffic, 3:00 AM. Video cam over extensive days, the traffic flow and such...... tho 105 is 105 and no amount of explaining is going to help you for doing that speed.
It may differ in your county, but i know for sure that is not true where i live in Norcal.
I was pulled over for doing 55 in a 25 (+30), and while @ court i was told i could take traffic school (although the mailed subpoena (sp?) indicated i couldnt.)
Anyway, its bad news, get thyself to some legal advice post haste.

i just got out of one of those on the parkway but i new the prosecutor and a state trooper. in new jersey if you go to court, the judge said anything over 90 is an automatic loss of license for 30 days. good luck man

Check your DMV web site. In NY there are very few states and parts of Canada where points do in fact transfer from state to state.

I'm not a lawyer and I really don't know much about laws... so bare with me.

I do understand that even the diff. states have different point system, some states like WA doesn't even have a point system for driving privilege. However, it's my understanding that all driving violations goes into your record.

Your insurance company will go by your record when considering premium, with those charges, you should expect you'll be dropped or increase 4 to 5 times for your premium.

... Also not to mention that reckless driving is a criminal charge, which, I strongly think it's unfair (I had charged for that 10 years ago... lawyer got it to a neglegent driving so that I'm staying clean). In your case, You Should be a lot more concern if that will affect your career.

I hope this is not harsh to you, and seriously I don't mean to offend you...
being you in that circle of business partners/ friends; You really don't know any good attorney who's specialized in traffic cases? You should have at least couple of guys who would give some good advises or discussing/researching with you; instead you post here and ask us??

Anyway, it's sucks to hear your trouble, 105mph seems fast, but in the nsx, it's really not that hard to reach... not even red-lining the 3rd gear yet. It's so alarming that how dangerous it became(in terms of social responsiblities wise) when we tried to enjoy the nsx.

I was under the impression there was a 50 state system, all tickets showed up everywhere :confused: All my tickets in the West Coast states seem to find there home to CA.

105 mph!! My son got a ticket for 99mph in a 65 and we hired a lawyer in the local ticketed area who got the violation decreased a lot!! You definitly need a local traffic lawyer who can negotiate a deal for you- your insurance company will increase your premium to much more than the legal fees- remember any insurance points stay with you at least 3 years. Remember, violations add up- so even if they don't suspend your license, one more ticket and you are toast!

Best of luck

Hire the best attorney money can buy and pray he can help you. If that goes on your license your insurance will skyrocket and the points on your license will be no fun.

Mr.Wolf said:
Congratulations, Mr.Charleysung. Next time shoot for 110MPH+ :D

When NY mails out a drivers license they also include a index card with all moving violations and the points each violation will accrue. Next to each offense is a small box. If I were to be pulled over for doing 105 I would produce the index card when the officer comes up to the window.

Cop.... "do you know how fast you were going"
Me.... "nope"
Cop.... "105 MPH"
Me, pointing to the card...."could you write it for 120 mph, it is the only box I have not checked off on this index card. By the way do you know what I win for filing out this card?"

steveny said:
Cop.... "do you know how fast you were going"
Me.... "nope"
Cop.... "105 MPH"
Me, pointing to the card...."could you write it for 120 mph, it is the only box I have not checked off on this index card. By the way do you know what I win for filing out this card?"

LMAO!!
Just be sure to carry Vasoline with you when you see that Baton come out!! :eek:

welcome to joisey!!!!!

in this neck of the woods, we "plea bargin" tix outa the picture.
you're prob gonna get spankd' on the speeding, but the other two may drop.
a lawyer may work, you gotta know someone!!!

btw, nearly 200k tix in this state were plea bargined/reduced, and thus they implimented a court surcharge[ 250 bucks ] to deal with a prosecutor, on any matter. heck, why do something nice, when you can get PAID to do it??!!!!

nj WILL let your state know about the outcome, but prob won't enforce a suspension of some other state's license.

i'm not a lawyer, but have had to play this game for 25 yrs in nj.
i'll try to get the straight dope from my people.

my 2 cents, keep smiling ol' Pb foot.

Back