• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gran Turismo PSP - October 1, 2009

gran-turismo-screens-20090624110727193_640w.jpg

gran-turismo-screens-20090624110729474_640w.jpg

gran-turismo-screens-20090624110731302_640w.jpg

gran-turismo-screens-20090624110733240_640w.jpg

gran-turismo-screens-20090624110734818_640w.jpg

gran-turismo-screens-20090624110737021_640w.jpg

GT PSP is damn good for a portable gaming system...but I suspect the above are "Photo mode" screens. As mentioned in this thread, I played it at E3 and it plays as well as one would expect given the PSP's control limitations.

800 cars, 35 tracks (60 variations), 4 player Ad-hoc, car trading...can't wait for it to come out!

Sad, sad, sad, sad, sad. So much potential. So many delays. Hope this is not a sign for what to expect with GT5.

Mixed Reviews for Gran Turismo PSP
September 15th, 2009 by Jordan

Today the review embargo has been lifted on media outlets with copies of Gran Turismo PSP, and thoughts and opinions are quickly popping up across the web. Unfortunately, however, not all are postive, with critics missing the “career mode” that made previous GT games so enjoyable. Indeed, Kazunori Yamauchi has been telling us this game would be structured differently than any of the others since June, focusing on “driving missions and tasks” as opposed to working your way up the ladder, tweaking your cars to win more money. Yamauchi defended this decision with the assumption that players will only play the game for short periods of time, and may not be willing to dive as deep as they would have in the console games.

The question, then, is who missed the point: the reviewers, or Polyphony Digital? In their quest to make the game quick to pick up and play, did they water down the quintessential Gran Turismo experience, or did the critics miss the point? We’ll find out for ourselves come October 1st. For now, join the debate in our GT PSP forum, or keep reading of the latest reviews and scores for GT PSP…

IGN.com (6.8/10)

For me, and a lot of other Gran Turismo fans, the fantastic driving is coupled with starting out at the bottom, slowly tweaking and upgrading your starter car as you compete in event after event, and gradually buying new rides to take on bigger and better challenges. And then eventually, after lots of hard work, you’ll get a car that can crack the 200mph barrier and you’ll feel like you’ve accomplished something great. Gran Turismo on the PSP contains none of this, and by and large, that’s the entire problem.

Eurogamer (7/10)

There’s no career mode to speak of – just Single Race, Time Trial and Drift Trial options, for which you pick a car and a track and then have at it, without any structured progression or notable unlocks [...]. Instead you just bash away with no particular goal in mind besides accumulating credits to buy cars. The only restriction is that the Car Dealerships only show certain manufacturers at certain times. It’s not a great substitute for a career mode.

VideoGamer.com (9/10)

Gran Turismo on PSP feels like Gran Turismo, even when played with the usually less than satisfactory analogue nub. No other driving game on the handheld comes anywhere near to delivering a handling model this advanced, with tracks so detailed you can feel the bumps and undulations in the road surfaces. Stick with the game in the first hour or so, as you have to contend with driving in cars that have little to no sense of speed, and you’ll eventually be cruising around some stunning tracks and pushing supercharged beasts to their limit.

PocketGamer (8/10)

What GT does better than most is to provide one of the most exhilarating opportunities to take a car out on a track and push it to its limits. And here you’ve got that experience distilled into perhaps its purest pick-up-and-play form.
It’s you and your machine versus the circuit. In this respect, Gran Turismo PSP doesn’t stall, effortlessly powering to the front of the handheld field in a manner that is likely to leave many a petrolhead breathless.

Play (80%)

CVG (6.7/10)

ArsTechnica (”Buy”)

NowGamer (8.5/10)

Source: GT Planet

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MyPS1b2tt7M&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MyPS1b2tt7M&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Here's a link to captured gameplay footage at 60fps

Last edited:
New need for speed shift

Hi I have a question about a racing game, not gran turismo, sorry for going off topic.

Do you have any insight on the new Need for Speed: Shift. On tv it looks really good, however the need for speed series seems to be more "arcade" like and not more of a simulation. I was wondering if you could give me an idea of the gameplay storyline, or if it's more like a career mode story line.

Re: New need for speed shift

Hi I have a question about a racing game, not gran turismo, sorry for going off topic.

Do you have any insight on the new Need for Speed: Shift. On tv it looks really good, however the need for speed series seems to be more "arcade" like and not more of a simulation. I was wondering if you could give me an idea of the gameplay storyline, or if it's more like a career mode story line.

Multiple Game Reviews of Shift here:

http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=27825

Looks like yet ANOTHER need for speed game... they just pump out the same crap these days.

Back to GT on PSP....

Multiple Game Reviews of Shift here:

http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=27825

Looks like yet ANOTHER need for speed game... they just pump out the same crap these days.

Did you actually read what you posted?

Eurogamer (7/10), VideoGamer (8/10), IGN (9.0/10), Game Informer (8/10), GameDaily (9/10), NZGamer (8.8/10) and GameSpy (5/5)

Yes, that sure looks like the same old crap to me.:rolleyes:

Did you actually read what you posted?

Eurogamer (7/10), VideoGamer (8/10), IGN (9.0/10), Game Informer (8/10), GameDaily (9/10), NZGamer (8.8/10) and GameSpy (5/5)

Yes, that sure looks like the same old crap to me.:rolleyes:

Yup I read it. And hear me out.

Those scores dont mean anything. The game is basically the same as Underground, Underground 2. Most Wanted, Carbon, ProStreet, and Undercover. They just tweak the graphics a little, add a couple cars, add a couple new features, remove some features and re-package. Then on the next game, they re-add some of the old features they removed from the last game and remove more stuff. It's never satisfies 100% ... EA always release games that are 80% complete, coz it keeps you wanting more so you'll buy the next NFS game. That's not innovation - it's sneaky marketing. It's like Microsoft Windows -- keep fiddling with the user interface so it appears new but it's still basically the same crap with a new pricetag.

But if you disagree with me, that's fine.

nws12543998923019645.jpg

Well, GT PSP is finally here and Sony has posted an official car list . I question their total car count since 25 of the 830 listed cars are NSXs (oddly none of the current SuperGT incarnations are included)...but supposedly that list omits special limited edition models.

And they produced an awesome ad campaign for it:
Part 1
<embed src="http://www.viddler.com/player/9563a9d0/" width="545" height="349" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" name="viddler_9563a9d0"></embed>

Part 2
<embed src="http://www.viddler.com/player/5e17386f/" width="545" height="349" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" name="viddler_5e17386f"></embed>

Behind the scenes
<embed src="http://www.viddler.com/player/92a713a9/" width="545" height="349" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" name="viddler_92a713a9"></embed>

GT in PSP? awesome! looks like im heading to bestbuy today.....Thanks for the headsup Eric :biggrin:

Ok i've been downloading this game for over an hour. Its about 128min wirelessly. At about 3 min left, the wireless on the psp shut off for no reason!!!:mad: Now im starting over. Its probably best to go buy the hard copy.

game stop told me the hardware copy will come out sometime in march this will be the best driving game ever made I feel.... and Im starting to get antsy lol and PS3 owners dont forget to pick up modern warfare 2 all the cool kids are doing it lol

Back