• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How reliable is the gen 2 NSX?

I previously owned a 2002 NSX and more recently a Lexus ISF. No problems with either car, in fact the Lexus was bullet proof. I also owned a M3 and it had too many issues always in the shop.

I am very serious about purchasing a new 2019 NSX but wondering about its reliability.

Would appreciate any insight into issues and reliability of the gen 2 NSX (2017-2019), especially the 2019 cars.

Thanks Guys!

You really didn’t just ask this question?

I sit back and eat my popcorn until the right time comes for me to jump in. Ha.

I have had no issues. I let the battery die over winter and they replaced it. 7000kms on a 2017.

You really didn’t just ask this question?

I sit back and eat my popcorn until the right time comes for me to jump in. Ha.

I was hoping to hear from you DocL.....:wink: Since I am not a current owner I doubt I can join the gen 2 NSX Facebook site so I was hoping guys on here would chime in.

So to the point...........DocL would you purchase a gen 2 NSX having the experience of ownership and knowing what you know you now?

I was hoping to hear from you DocL.....:wink: Since I am not a current owner I doubt I can join the gen 2 NSX Facebook site so I was hoping guys on here would chime in.

So to the point...........DocL would you purchase a gen 2 NSX having the experience of ownership and knowing what you know you now?

Absolutely NO. And to prove it even more so, I decided to take the refund instead of a new NSX and put a deposit on the new C8.

Overall they seem to be pretty reliable. The highest mileage in the Owner's Group is 45K miles, with several more in the 20s and 30s. These cars are meant to be driven. Have not heard of any major problems with the '18 and '19s so far.

Mine has been great with nearly 11K miles. Mine will be 3 years old in October.

The key thing is to run the car in sport+ for the last 20 minutes of your trip prior to putting the car away (to get the battery nice and charged up)

Other than the recalls I have had zero issues after 8500 miles, a lot of those miles on the track. Every car has examples of assembly or manufacturing errors that result in failures, but by and large most owners I know have had trouble free experiences.

I have had no issues thus far from a reliability perspective (low miles though at 2k). But this just did happen because of heat and the dealer ordered me a new one:

Steering Wheel Crack!!

NSX Crack.jpg

I have 2600 trouble free miles on my NSX since Dec. of 2017. I have an annoying rattle in my dash/windshield pillar area. Some day I will take it in to be fixed. I had the gas tank recall done. I was told 1 car had a tank issue and Honda decided to recall over 700 cars to change out the tanks. My car was a late enough build that the faulty rad caps and upper brake light issues had already been resolved.

But, with regards to reliability, consider the following:

In 2014, Porsche issued a recall for 785 GT3"s for complete engine changes because there was a threat that the cars could catch fire and burn to the ground. Later in 2015 and into 2016 more cars were recalled for engine replacements because they were blowing up. Valve train issues I think?

McLaren...... Based on what I have heard and researched, perhaps the most unreliable supercar on the market, if not ever. Their problems are well documented. Matt Farrah's comments are interesting, the electrical systems are suspect, and lots of them have caught fire..... At the Formula 1 gran Prix of Austria a couple weeks ago a McLaren was doing hot laps on the track and it caught fire. Luckily the track workers were able to get the fire put out. Brutally fast cars with less than impressive styling, but I wouldn't own one if you gave it to me.....

A buddy of mine bought a brand new 2018 Audi RS3 last year. $65K, and a great little car. After 3 months the car wouldn't start. After 2 months at the dealer, they could never get the car to start, so Audi America decided to take the car off his hands and give him a new 2019..... 3 months later, the car finally has arrived at the local dealer where it sits in it's shipping wrap while Audi tries to figure out how to swap titles......

And other British cars?? Aston Martin?? No thanks......

My son owned a BMW. It was out of warranty and it broke, or leaked, or fell apart on a monthly basis. It was a piece of shit..... German technology at it's best.

I hear Ferrari's are more reliable than in the past. But I personally could not afford a $350K car much less the $20 K per year to maintain it. I suppose that if you can afford the car's cost, then you likely can afford the maintenance....... There is an adage that says to never buy a first edition car. Wait for the following years after the manufacturer has had a chance to work out the bugs. Maybe this is true with the 2017 NSX. As someone said earlier, there seems to be no issues with the 2018 and 2019's.

Part of the reason I ended up buying the NSX (aside from the $43K discount) was the "perceived reliability" of a Honda product..... When it comes to reliability, based on the above examples, I'm not sure the NSX is in the top 5 unreliable cars..... ALL cars are overly complicated and expensive to fix. There have been "fears" of the cost of replacing a blown NSX engine out of warranty..... Is it any more than what you'd pay for an out of warranty Ferrari or McLaren??? This is why you rarely see a Ferrari with more than 10K miles..... I had circumstances that allowed me to buy an NSX, and I have to say that I have had a great and unique experience thus far...... It's not a car for everyone, but something different, unique and low production......

Last edited:
These cars are solid. Minor quibbles and I’d be afraid to own one out of warranty but when you drive them you can tell they are well built. Compared to every McL I’ve driven felt like they were going to rattle apart.

MC

Just to let the OP know, I have personally been in contact with four other people that have had their NSX bought back by AHM. They aren’t members on FB or this site. One other gentleman is also a doctor two blocks away from my office. He meet me at a C&C when he just got his car also in November of 2017.

I can appreciate the members here who have good experiences with their car. However the manner in which AHM has handled my issues and those of the other people I know is a disgrace. I would love to disclose the names of the other people, but I would never do so without their permission.

It’s your money to spend and if you really like and want the car, get one. Just make sure to check the reviews of the dealer you will be bringing the car to for service. And don’t expect to be treated any different than the person who brings in their $35k ILX.

Just to let the OP know, I have personally been in contact with four other people that have had their NSX bought back by AHM. They aren’t members on FB or this site. One other gentleman is also a doctor two blocks away from my office. He meet me at a C&C when he just got his car also in November of 2017.

I can appreciate the members here who have good experiences with their car. However the manner in which AHM has handled my issues and those of the other people I know is a disgrace. I would love to disclose the names of the other people, but I would never do so without their permission.

It’s your money to spend and if you really like and want the car, get one. Just make sure to check the reviews of the dealer you will be bringing the car to for service. And don’t expect to be treated any different than the person who brings in their $35k ILX.

Well, I know who I’ll contact if my apple NC1 ever sours.

That is the sad thing about not being able to read NC1 owners discussions about ownership.
For people like myself getting ready to purchase one, it would have been very useful to do so.
I do understand the objection to have that forum open to everyone especially with the changing demographics on Prime and the unprecedented and constant criticism of this new car. What would have been wrong if we could have accessed that particular forum but denied the ability to post?

That is the sad thing about not being able to read NC1 owners discussions about ownership.
For people like myself getting ready to purchase one, it would have been very useful to do so.
I do understand the objection to have that forum open to everyone especially with the changing demographics on Prime and the unprecedented and constant criticism of this new car. What would have been wrong if we could have accessed that particular forum but denied the ability to post?

There is zero information of any quality in the 2nd gen closed forum here, so you're missing nothing. On the 2nd gen FB page, if you say anything negative about the NC1 or Acura you get banned.

The owners of the NC1 who never owned a NA1/2 previously are nothing like the NA1/2 owners. They all think that since they own a $150k+ car that they are better then anyone else.

There is zero information of any quality in the 2nd gen closed forum here, so you're missing nothing. On the 2nd gen FB page, if you say anything negative about the NC1 or Acura you get banned.

The owners of the NC1 who never owned a NA1/2 previously are nothing like the NA1/2 owners. They all think that since they own a $150k+ car that they are better then anyone else.

Doc, I trust that you simply forgot to say “NEARLY all”, instead of lumping every single one of us “$150k+ car” owners together. I, for one, don’t think that I’m better than anyone else. In fact, I’m quite content to admit that I’m not as good as you. I’m not sure what that makes me — other than happy to be who I am: Someone who — with gratitude — lacks the requisite superiority to stand in judgment of others.

Doc, I trust that you simply forgot to say “NEARLY all”, instead of lumping every single one of us “$150k+ car” owners together. I, for one, don’t think that I’m better than anyone else. In fact, I’m quite content to admit that I’m not as good as you. I’m not sure what that makes me — other than happy to be who I am: Someone who — with gratitude — lacks the requisite superiority to stand in judgment of others.

indeed....I approve this message...sometimes our own perceptions conceive deceptions.......:wink:

I do apologize. I have never meet you in person and I shouldn’t have made a blanket statement. However there have been quite a few who I have meet that have that unfortunate quality. And those that have meet me know that I am the last person who is concerned by my image through a car.

My 2017 has been rock solid and the car is phenomenal. Would not hesitate to take across the country or do anything else with it and if my experience continues, I plan to own it beyond warranty. The vast majority of owners seem to have had a good experiences from what I can tell in the owners forum. If you like the car, go for it!

I'm in the same boat as you. Thanks LandLaw

To be more specific, the CF "garnish" cracked

I wish they did a full CF wheel instead

Yep, crappy CF overlay or whatever it is. Just one day in normal 100 degree heat and a few hours of it only.

Dealer GM was very cool, I just sent a pic and he ordered it.

Back