• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Import question

Hey guys!!
Anyone here got any experience in importing cars from the USA to europe?
I´m looking to buy an nsx and I live in sweden.. I allso intend to buy alot of body parts from the states, and I want to get the parts here as cheap as posible! last time I bought bodyparts from the USA it ended up paying twice the price when I finaly got it.. So any help is more than welcome!
If my friend in florida buys the stuf for me and send it as a "gift" does that help? I need to get around the customs fee here in sweden somehow!

thanx for reading!

A few members bought their cars in Switzerland and got their parts from the USA. If I'd live in Sweden I'd have a look in D or CH, travel there and take it with me. I wouldn't buy a car I haven't seen myself and drove it. I think more than 50 % of the Swiss NSX's are in very good shape. www.autoscout.ch is the plattform to look at. Good luck!

okej, thanx! The deal is I have a friend in florida hwo can test drive it for me, the prices seem to be lower in the states then here in europe, but I´m not that up to date on the prices in Switzerland..

Hello Tewen,

Some weeks ago there was a NSX Black for sale in sweden. It was on www.autoscout24 for sale. It was a original german car imported to sweden some years ago.

Take care off cars from the states because you bur an acura and not a honda car. Spares from the Honda NSX are easyer to get in europe.

We search for 10 months and found our car in the south off france .
Search on www.autoscout24.de go to honda select the nsx and search in Europe.

What nsx are you looking for? 3.0 or 3.2 coupe or targa?

Iff i can help please lett me know

greating ronny

Importing parts from the States into the EU

Whenever I've brought parts from the States to Europe, it's always been expensive. You pay:

1) the purchase price of the parts
2) shipping
3) import duty on the value of the parts plus the shipping
4) tax on the value of the parts, shipping, plus import duty

When importing goods, your experience of paying twice the US purchase price, in total, is what I've experienced as well.

I just bought a used steering rack from another NSXPrime member a few weeks ago and despite his stating that it was a gift, I still paid customs duty, tax, etc. I spoke to the national customs office and according to EU law, it seeems that import duty and tax should be paid regardless whether the imported goods are new, used, or gifts. If the goods aren't that expensive and it's around Christmas time, the customs inspectors sometimes turn a blind eye. With fenders, it's probably a different story, however.

What you might be able to do is state that the goods have a lesser value than you paid for them. If the value is unrealistically low, you may have problems. Customs inspectors have been known to ask for some kind of proof of the value.

Importing a car from the States into the EU

When you import a car, there may be taxes over and above the ones mentioned above. In Austria, there is an additional car tax which must be paid when a car is registered the first time in Austria, regardless whether it is new or used. I'm not sure what the situation is in Sweden.

If you can prove that you've lived in the States and owned the car for a while, you should be able to bring it over as moving goods and be exempt from at least some of the taxes. Bringing a car into Austria, you need to have lived abroad for at least 12 months and have owned the car for 6 months in order to be waved from the import duty and value-added tax. This can save you a lot of money but you can't get exempt from the car tax.

In addition to all the taxes, you have to get the car certified to meet Swedish technical standards. When I imported my NSX from the States, the technical certification authority asked me to change my headlights so that they would have an EU beam pattern, the tail lights so that the blinkers would be yellow, and the wiring of the indicator lights on the sides of the car so they would not glow when the headlights are turned on. Thankfully, my car didn't need to have any emissions-related changes.

You should check whether cars imported into Sweden need to meet the Swedish technical standards in the year they were produced or in the year they are imported. That's a very big difference - especially regarding emissions. Supposedly one of the reasons this is the final year of NSX production is because of the more stringent emissions laws coming into effect in 2006. A used NSX won't meet the 2006 EU standards and might not meet the 2005 standards, either.

There are many cars imported from the US on the roads in Europe that obviously don't meet EU technical standards. If there are cars like that in Sweden as well and you want to go that route, you could ask around who did the certification and how much it would cost for that person or shop to take care of the certification for you.

Hope this helps!

QUOTE=Honda-ronny]Hello Tewen,

Some weeks ago there was a NSX Black for sale in sweden. It was on www.autoscout24 for sale. It was a original german car imported to sweden some years ago.

Take care off cars from the states because you bur an acura and not a honda car. Spares from the Honda NSX are easyer to get in europe.

We search for 10 months and found our car in the south off france .
Search on www.autoscout24.de go to honda select the nsx and search in Europe.

What nsx are you looking for? 3.0 or 3.2 coupe or targa?

Iff i can help please lett me know

greating ronny[/QUOTE]

thanx for the info! I´m looking for a 3.0 the early model, in price around 20 000 - 30 000 euro. as long as the engine is in good condition I´m happy, I intend to spend around 10k euros on the body anyways.. Can I get a nice NSX in europe for that price U think? here in sweden they are way more expensive... PC

Hi

I went to Switzerland for my NSX. A friend of mine also went there for his NSX. Most of the NSX's in Norway are imported from Europe. Some are from the US. Switzerland is the best land in Europe for NSX'es.

Now it is nice to import from the US too because the Norwegian krone is good compared to the Dollar. I am not sure how the swedish krone is. But it is a bit more cumbersome. Could take a long time to get it shipped to Sweden and I have no idea of all the papers you need to go throug to make it happen.

In your price range you should be able to find a nice NSX in Europe. There are a couple of nice black ones in Switzerland that you should really look into. They are here on the forum.

I am not sure how things are in Sweden. But we here in Norway pay a lot of taxes before we have the car on the road in Norway. A Acura NSX is not a problem to get parts for. It is the same car. Minor details like no foglights and things like that.

When it comes to parts the cost of freight is ofcourse one thing, but you have the problem with all the taxes. I have no solution to this myself. But "gift" is the only "trick" I use. Sometime UPS also forgets to bill me for the tax and sometime the "gift" trick works. But if you order large things they (taxdudes) will seldom believe you when you say you got a full bodykit from the US as a gift and they will charge you.

Regards

martin said:
Hi

I went to Switzerland for my NSX. A friend of mine also went there for his NSX. Most of the NSX's in Norway are imported from Europe. Some are from the US. Switzerland is the best land in Europe for NSX'es.

Now it is nice to import from the US too because the Norwegian krone is good compared to the Dollar. I am not sure how the swedish krone is. But it is a bit more cumbersome. Could take a long time to get it shipped to Sweden and I have no idea of all the papers you need to go throug to make it happen.

In your price range you should be able to find a nice NSX in Europe. There are a couple of nice black ones in Switzerland that you should really look into. They are here on the forum.

I am not sure how things are in Sweden. But we here in Norway pay a lot of taxes before we have the car on the road in Norway. A Acura NSX is not a problem to get parts for. It is the same car. Minor details like no foglights and things like that.

When it comes to parts the cost of freight is ofcourse one thing, but you have the problem with all the taxes. I have no solution to this myself. But "gift" is the only "trick" I use. Sometime UPS also forgets to bill me for the tax and sometime the "gift" trick works. But if you order large things they (taxdudes) will seldom believe you when you say you got a full bodykit from the US as a gift and they will charge you.

Regards

here in Sweden its a bit simpler than in norway I think, I have some friends that moved there and they had to sell there cars becaus it was so expensive to bring them, even as moving gods.. Anyway it would be alot better for me to buy a european car as I could drive it home myself. But the big problem is still the parts, as you say, its going to be a BIG "gift" but so far its the best idé I have.. If theres no european nsx aftermarket parts dealer? I have not seen one anyway, not that sells the parts I´m looking for...

If I was to buy an american car, could I not just buy the parts and shipp them with the car as if they came along with the car? :confused:

martin said:

Ehm... not personal experience... :tongue: "somebody" told me that for small things (DVD, Acura emblems, smartenna, wheel caps, ... ) the "gift" things works.

For bigger things it is better to use a lower price, sometime "crazy" lower: a WingWest bodykit priced 650$ (and that comes in a box of 3mx1mx1m) cannot be passed as "no value", beacuse they would feel quite fooled and check on the internet for the real value.

But since they are very lazy :) a price of 80$ would make them happy! :biggrin:

A firend (really in this case) bought 4x wheels from Japan for his SupraTT and priced them 500$... the real price was 4000$ :eek:

Net difference in taxes 225$, ...25$ against 250$! :wink:

gheba_nsx said:
Ehm... not personal experience... :tongue: "somebody" told me that for small things (DVD, Acura emblems, smartenna, wheel caps, ... ) the "gift" things works.

For bigger things it is better to use a lower price, sometime "crazy" lower: a WingWest bodykit priced 650$ (and that comes in a box of 3mx1mx1m) cannot be passed as "no value", beacuse they would feel quite fooled and check on the internet for the real value.

But since they are very lazy :) a price of 80$ would make them happy! :biggrin:

A firend (really in this case) bought 4x wheels from Japan for his SupraTT and priced them 500$... the real price was 4000$ :eek:

Net difference in taxes 225$, ...25$ against 250$! :wink:

thanx! I never thogut of that, i guess its better then paying the full price..
So what I could do is set the value real low on the widebody kit, and then send a smaler box set at no value? Or is it better to toss everything in the same package? :rolleyes:

That's up to you to calculate, if you send two boxes you will have two shipping costs, it maybe worth or not.

I would do one package and ask for a lower pricetag... and ask them to send you the receipt in an envelope and NOT leave it in the package! ;) :)

gheba_nsx said:
That's up to you to calculate, if you send two boxes you will have two shipping costs, it maybe worth or not.

I would do one package and ask for a lower pricetag... and ask them to send you the receipt in an envelope and NOT leave it in the package! ;) :)

okej, yes that might be the better thing to do, and allso I intend to buy from some diffrent dealers so I will buy it myself in the states and have it shipped to my friends house, then I can just take the receipts myself and ship everything to sweden in one big package... Do you know if its better to ship by air or boat?? might be expencive by air but alot faster i belive...

Boat requires 5-6 weeks, if you are not in a hurry... but I cannot wait when I trigger the decision to buy :D and I always choose airmail.

BTW, this morning I sent you a message but it is unread :), click on "user cp" on the left side of the red bar above on top of this page to reach it... :D

gheba_nsx said:
Boat requires 5-6 weeks, if you are not in a hurry... but I cannot wait when I trigger the decision to buy :D and I always choose airmail.

BTW, this morning I sent you a message but it is unread :), click on "user cp" on the left side of the red bar above on top of this page to reach it... :D

yeha :tongue: I´m like that to, I want it in my hands the same day I order it! hehe... I think its worth the money to get it as fast as possible.
I read it and replyed =P

Also depends with who you ship.

AFAIK UPS has their own customs, so they have to check everything which commes into Europe.

If i get parts with US Mail, i never pay import dutys.

On topic, there are plenty NSX's for sale in Europe.
Even here in Holland are a few for sale.

Hi Tewen!
If you are looking for an nsx in Sweden take a look at "GEMO Bil AB" , you will find a black nsx there that is mine. I have had this for sale private for more than 8 month for the moderate price betw 275.000 and 250.000 SEK. I got lots of telephonecalls and mails but no one even bothered to come and have a look. My car is for sale because i moved from a house with garage to a condominium. The price is now higher but there is still the possibility to give a bid at a lower range. I belive this is the car mentioned above from honda-ronny. You can have a look at the car here in the POTM , search for "april nsx" if i am not wrong, or at "hondaklubben" Sverige, klubbilarna och till salu, or at "club honda" Norway, for sale. Now, you better hurry up because prices are going up , both at mobile.de and autoscout.
best regards Lars-Erik

Hello Lars-eric

Thanks for you reaction to mr TEWEN.

I have searched a lot of pages to find your car but i am very bad in swedisch so that should be the problem.

I think this is the best option for Tewen.

I hope you will agree

greatings ronny

91 Black NSX said:
Hi Tewen!
If you are looking for an nsx in Sweden take a look at "GEMO Bil AB" , you will find a black nsx there that is mine. I have had this for sale private for more than 8 month for the moderate price betw 275.000 and 250.000 SEK. I got lots of telephonecalls and mails but no one even bothered to come and have a look. My car is for sale because i moved from a house with garage to a condominium. The price is now higher but there is still the possibility to give a bid at a lower range. I belive this is the car mentioned above from honda-ronny. You can have a look at the car here in the POTM , search for "april nsx" if i am not wrong, or at "hondaklubben" Sverige, klubbilarna och till salu, or at "club honda" Norway, for sale. Now, you better hurry up because prices are going up , both at mobile.de and autoscout.
best regards Lars-Erik

tja Lars-erik!! I have seen your car at blocket.se for some time now, its one of only to black nsxs in sweden am i right?? I heard from a nother nsx owner that your car was not worth the money due to bad condition, so I never checked it out, but he might be wrong?? I´d like to take a look at it, where in sweden is it?? I´m lokated in karlstad! thanx!! =)

Back