• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iPad mini

Custom lightning cable?

Right-angle lightning connector. Trying to make the iPad work in landscape, and the stock connector adds about an inch to the width of the device, which makes this totally unworkable.

Don't know for if it would work in this instance but we've used computer ribbon cable soldered to a jack before when we had no room to work with.

Sounds familiar. It will be tight but I'm hoping it will all work. I have seen the light and am designing for the iPad to be removable, so it's okay if the "tub" protrudes out of the dash a bit to get some more width.

Sounds familiar. It will be tight but I'm hoping it will all work. I have seen the light and am designing for the iPad to be removable, so it's okay if the "tub" protrudes out of the dash a bit to get some more width.

Keep me up to date to your progress. It's a part of the stereo system I prefer not to work on. You want to do the hard work, be my guest. I'll just copy you. I just bought the factory center console that was up for sale so I have an extra too provided seller actually ships it.

Will do. Your expertise is best applied picking and tuning speakers and designing enclosures.... Which I'm sure is taking up a ton of your time!

Did you manage to figure out whether the RF processor fits inside the dash cavity with the OEM HU removed?

I suspect it will take a few weeks for my center console and custom cable to ship , then I need to get the fiberglass tub with the magnets made, and then I need a local (hopefully s4play) to fiberglass everything together for me and paint it all factory-like.

Make a lot of em to sell , is it going in the nav pod or dash

I want mine in the dash. It's too big for the navpod - the opening in the navpod is 7.25" by 4" and the iPad is 7.87" by 5.3". Of course some of that is bezel which you could get away with covering.

Worth a shot but not my cup of tea. I like my interrupted IMAX view over the dash.

EDIT: I should say the *opening* in the navpod is 7.25 by 4. The interior space is 7.85 by 4.98 - still a hair too small but maybe some slicing and dicing is possible.

Last edited:
The navpod is not a great location for the radio. It's a bit of a reach. The good place for what is functioning as your radio, is where the radio is.

Bngl3rt, I've changed my mind on a permanent install. If we can make it clean, I'm with you. I bought a second console, I'm not bent on "saving" the dash since I have two. If it comes of course.

Last edited:
Bngl3rt, I've changed my mind on a permanent install. If we can make it clean, I'm with you. I bought a second console, I'm not bent on "saving" the dash since I have two. If it comes of course.

Hmm... my interest in the temp mount is mostly for future proof ness. The current iPad mini uses the guts of the iPad 2. I understand why they had to do that because of the miniaturization cycle/supply chain/cost structure etc, but it's basically outdated the second you open the box. It ships with an A5 processor where as the "big" iPad already had an A5X and now an A6. That's fine, but I don't want to make a huge effort perfectly mounting the current model when a thinner, faster one with a retina display is surely around the corner.

My current thinking actually involves embedding magnets into the console as the primary way of securing the device. That way there will only be a small protrusion for the end of my right-angle lightning cable to poke out.

Anyway the parts are on their way and I haven't even bought the iPad because of the delay of the LTE model, so I'll have a better idea what works once I can lay everything out on my workbench.

Well, bad news... my cable guy got back and said he can't do a right angle lightning connector. I'll have to find another solution... I'm pretty invested in the idea of running the thing in landscape so I don't lose my ashtray area. I'd like to hide the controller for the RF 3sixty processor under the ashtray door.

You have to make sure magnets don't damage the iPad.

My center console shipped but I've now hit this cabling snafu. I might go pick up the new Lightning to micro-USB adapter and crack it open to see what can be done with it.

Maybe try a lightning to 30pin adapter.

lightning_adapter_teardown.jpg

notice at the base of the silver part under the lightning connector is a ribbon cable. I am thinking maybe it can be bent 90 degree's

Maybe try a lightning to 30pin adapter.

lightning_adapter_teardown.jpg

notice at the base of the silver part under the lightning connector is a ribbon cable. I am thinking maybe it can be bent 90 degree's

I think you're onto something here.

Just saw this, might be another option for installation.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hqMYm6hm6p8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks cool... price? Release date? Is it double DIN? Looks even bigger...

Couldn't find much information on it. Guess it's still being developed. From the looks of it, it's not a double din or even single, it's some sort of mount that gets installed in the dash. I only found their headrest mounts. Google inCarBite.

Okay, I got one. I have some time later in the week to see how it fits into my center console.

Back