• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is the NSX a supercar?

FYI, i found an elaborate definition of "exotic" and it clearly states that a car made to look exotic with an aftermarket kit does not make for an exotic.

So the Veilside kit is not exotic. NSX seems to qualify as an exotic though. Of course, its all up to interpretation.

as far as the GT-R, it may perform great, but to me it is not. if the car was a Geo Metro, would you still call it a supercar? to me, styling is an important factor... fast does not make for a supercar.

corvette has speed and the proper stance and shape, but it lacks exclusivity... and the long hood really takes away from the driving experience to me. it is ok not to be able to see behind you in a supercar, but you must be able to see the road in front of you.

That interpretation doesn't make any sense. I think they were referring to making a non-exotic look exotic (like throwing a Diablo body on a Fiero). By your logic throwing a Premier kit on a Lamborghini means it is no longer an exotic. I'm no fan of the kit, but to say the Lambo is no longer an exotic because of it makes no sense.

Moot point, though, as I don't consider an NSX in any form to be a exotic.

People get hung up on this stuff.

Supercar or not, the NSX will always be my dream car.

That interpretation doesn't make any sense. I think they were referring to making a non-exotic look exotic (like throwing a Diablo body on a Fiero). By your logic throwing a Premier kit on a Lamborghini means it is no longer an exotic. I'm no fan of the kit, but to say the Lambo is no longer an exotic because of it makes no sense.

This is why these kinds of discussions are great! So, just curious honestly, to you there is no difference essentially between the NSX, 3000GT, S2000, 300Z, Supra, etc I assume right? So basically the NSX was over hyped and WAY over priced.

Now how about the GTR? What IS exotic to you? I assume the Lambo is based on your comments. Curious why. I've been in many Countach's and can tell you it is without a doubt one of the worst pieces of shit ever made and genuinely terrifying to drive, yet EVERYONE would say "oh! thats an exotic!" I say this is because they are made by Lambo and were priced at a zillion dollars. Whatever shit they produce will automatically be viewed that way as long as its unaffordable. Toyota though? Same trick doesnt work with the LF-A ;)

The terms are all just meaningless and not worth discussing precisely because these discussions diverge at just this level of extremity. With one person deciding is car XYZ a "SUPER CAR" and the other person saying "I think its pretty much the same as a normal car, just more money"

Last edited:
Re: wrong car for some.

626_4778943704553e3b430423.jpg

OMG!!! :eek: :eek: The NSX-R wing is a fake copy!!!

well the OP thinks the NSX looks dated... and that the Veilside kit makes it a modern exotic... thats why i pointed that out.

if in his eyes, the NSX is not exotic, then the kit does not make it so.

Supercar inspector arrives:

*Checks under hood, puzzled glance in the trunk*

*scratches head*

"It's got no frickin engine... no sir, this certainly ain't no supercar"

*wanders away muttering about wasted time*

There is your answer

he also got paid a fortune by Honda and his NSX's were free. :wink:

stop caring what others think and just enjoy the car. :smile:

He was paid by Honda to drive the F1 car. Somehow I don't think he got paid to work on the NSX.

Here is the deal. If your wife is beautiful when you married her, do you think she is still beautiful thirty years later?

When a person earn the title of President, Speaker of the House, Senator, they get to keep their title after their service is over.

Sportsman who won the World Series or the Super Bowl get to keep their championship status for life.

Is the Ferrari Testarossa an exotic super car? I think so, even though it is slower than the NSX with twice the cylinder counts.

NSX was a exotic super car of its era; therefore, the title stays.

The first production car to be made of Aluminum, the first car to have variable valve timing, the first car the have titanium con-rods, the first of a lot of things.

Took Ferrari 9 years later to have something similar with the 360 Modena.

In fact, a British car magazine name the 2003 NSX-R sports car of the year, said it was 95% of the Zonda - the winner of prior year.

If the debate is about the NSX meeting today's standard, or is about where this car stands in the automotive history. It is open for interpretation.

You will never see cars like Vipers, Corvette, or even the pre F430 Ferraris maintain such a reputation as the NSX. It out produced the 328, 348, 360, 550, 575, Diablo and more. That is something. In fact, I see plenty of early NSXs roaring around, I have not seen a 328, 348, or even 355 in recent years, and the NSX was produced in a smaller number.

Last edited:
well the OP thinks the NSX looks dated... and that the Veilside kit makes it a modern exotic... thats why i pointed that out.

if in his eyes, the NSX is not exotic, then the kit does not make it so.

Never said the VS kit maked it a modern exotic. I said it looks more modern.

If exotic = rare sports car --> NSX = exotic --> VS NSX = exotic

Thats my opinion if I follow your chain of thought. I would say the NSX is a low-end 90's supercar. If a Ferrari is one, then the NSX definitely is as it was a better car than the Ferrari equal at that time. However, placing an NSX next to a 2011 supercar, like the Koeniggsegg Agera or a Zonda, is like placing a civic next to an NSX. The step is really big.

supercar [ˈsuːpəˌkɑː]
n
(Engineering / Automotive Engineering) a very expensive fast or powerful car with a centrally located engine
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

If the NSX had been manufactured unchanged except for the badging by Ferrari or Lamborghini, it would indisputably be an exotic, and possibly a "supercar".

I think a lot of people get hung up on it being a Honda -- they can't get over that the same company that can make Civics, Accords, and lawnmowers can also make an exotic sportscar.

For those of you who drink the Honda kool-aid:

New Sports car eXperimental (as opposed to new super car experimental)

J

If the NSX had been manufactured unchanged except for the badging by Ferrari or Lamborghini, it would indisputably be an exotic, and possibly a "supercar".

I think a lot of people get hung up on it being a Honda -- they can't get over that the same company that can make Civics, Accords, and lawnmowers can also make an exotic sportscar.

Lets not forget that Lamborghini started out by building tractors from left-overs from WWII, and Ferrari as tool makers.

On my coffee table book copy of Brian Long's Acura NSX Honda's Supercar ------I cut a piece of electrical tape and covered the word-----Supercar:wink:

Back