• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is the NSX a supercar?

Ferrari as tool makers.

I know a guy who bought a brand new Testarossa back in 1988 and when he drove the car home, he heard some clink sounds; turn out that they mechanic left a small hammer inside the door panel. I'm sure as a tool maker, they have plenty to spare....lol

When a car company makes a statement the results can be impressive. Honda made a statement with the NSX. It was such a profound statement that the car remained virtually unchanged for 15 years. Given that Honda updates it's models about every three years this says alot about our NSX's.

Dodge made a statement with the Viper, Nissan with the GTR, Toyota with the Supra, Chevrolet with the Corvette (for 58 years running), Ford with the GT and so on. These are all special cars (with threads comparing our beloved NSX with all of them plus the Yugo).

I own my NSX because it has been my dream to do so. It's MY supercar/exotic/coolest thing ever. Some may agree, some not so much, some guys like tater tots.

Enjoy it for what it is to you.

When a car company makes a statement the results can be impressive. Honda made a statement with the NSX. It was such a profound statement that the car remained virtually unchanged for 15 years. Given that Honda updates it's models about every three years this says alot about our NSX's.

Dodge made a statement with the Viper, Nissan with the GTR, Toyota with the Supra, Chevrolet with the Corvette (for 58 years running), Ford with the GT and so on. These are all special cars (with threads comparing our beloved NSX with all of them plus the Yugo).

I own my NSX because it has been my dream to do so. It's MY supercar/exotic/coolest thing ever. Some may agree, some not so much, some guys like tater tots.

Enjoy it for what it is to you.

I don't think it can be said any better than that Matt. You voiced perfectly how I feel about my NSX. The NSX came out the year I started my business and it was my goal to have one some day. That day arrived in 1995 when I got a great deal on my new red NSX-T. Still have it, still love it! Again, well said for sure! Big +1.

Strap a supercharger or turbo on an nsx and it becomes super.
0 to 60mph in under 4 seconds. i would say that qualifies as a supercar!:smile:. It is known as the only true japanese supercar.

What was technologically marvelous about the F40? other than the Carbon Fiber body and top end speed?

I know it's a Ferrari and that does for most people, but, what is so incredible out of this world that made the F40 in 1990 a Supercar and not the NSX in 1990 a supercar?

btw, it's a

<object width="400" height="300" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/354132797000" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/354132797000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="300"></embed></object>

<object width="400" height="300" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/354303972000" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/354303972000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="300"></embed></object>

DREAM to hear these exhaust! .. oh, but my hood was completely covered in OIL after this drive :( ....

Oscar

PS: Understanding this beasts:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7mFleLfedrU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

better link

Last edited:
Look at the specs... accolades: first legal production car to hit 200mph, worlds fastest production car for 2 years...

Well, there's NO QUESTION the F40 is a supercar, but so then if the NSX was considered also a "friendly" supercar in 1990, means a bottom of the line "supercar" yet never the less a 1990 Supercar, no?

BTW, on my link, they don't show part II were the Stig gets BOTH cars to drive @ the track, and they BOTH break down, so they couldn't make it !

204: DNF - Porsche 959 (did not finish)

246: DNS - Ferrari F40 (did not start)

:D

Last edited:
Well, there's NO QUESTION the F40 is a supercar, but so then if the NSX was considered also a "friendly" supercar in 1990, means a bottom of the line "supercar" yet never the less a 1990 Supercar, no?

BTW, on my link, they don't show part II were the Stig gets BOTH cars to drove @ the track, and they BOTH break down, so they couldn't make the track times! :D
No, not a legitimate supercar, it was an exotic sports car. If the NSX is a supercar then the 92' Viper must have been a supercar too, no? They are basically in the same league. Plus the NSX was slow compared to all the real supercars. A supercar w/ a 168 mph top speed? Really? The Miura had the same top speed in 1966. F40, Diablo, XJ220, F50, McLaren F1 etc. were the true supercars of the 90's.

So, i'll take your word vs Gordon Murray, Ayrton Senna, Brian Long, Tiff, Vicki Butler, Bobby Rahal and many many others.

So the NSX in 1990 was sportscar, unlike those amateurs quoted above that kept calling the NSX as a supercar.

Honestly, as now, 2011 I wouldn't DARE to call the NSX as supercar, but, back in 1990 yes, still, I travel a lot during the year, to many countries, I see and drive a LOT of cars from different cultures etc, and I can tell you, our NSX is still as super as it was, 20 years ago!

I enjoy my NSX for what it is and it was, not for what is not, peace and see you on the Keys drive!

Oscar

Is the NSX-R GT a supercar? :rolleyes:

559NSX-R_GT_1.jpg

I vote super car. Not exotic super car or hyper, but super non the less. Its not all speed. If a "sports" car can out track super cars like ferrari, lambo, porsche, then imo its a super car...... Except for lmr's nsx, something about it is off..... Just cant put my finger on it....

Anyone that thinks the nsx is a supercar is delusional. It's an exotic sports car.
Of course, the NSX is a supercar because I say so.
Arguing about a word that has no objective definition is really pointless. By the same token, I can also make a statement like yours by saying "Anyone that does not think the nsx is a supercar is delusional. It's a supercar!"
Same goes for "hot", "pretty", "beautiful", and so on.
Is the Ferrari 458 a supercar, a sport car, an exotic, or none of the above?
Is Kirsten Dunst hot as shit? Go ahead, argue on.......:rolleyes:
Steve

Last edited:
steve imo you are a superdoctor:smile:

Last edited:
It can be said a hundred trillion times and it won't matter somehow :rolleyes:

That Yahoo article says it all...

The CORVETTE is listed there. "supercar", "exotic", etc etc. Have NO meaning. They're just terms. Outside of lunatics like us on car forums, no one really puts any thought into this much less ARGUES it.

Why? B/c 99.9999% of the population are driving #%^@%! Civics and Altimas.

The .0001% who post eternally on car forums and burn endless $ on impractical cars are a super extremist niche and like all super extremists niches, have a burning need to *subdivide* into even smaller and MORE extremist niches (Vette vs Viper! NSX vs Supra! Ferrari vs Lambo! GT-R vs THE WORLD!!!)

Example... QUOTES from the GT-R forums "Nissan better get on the ball... EVERY car these days is over 500HP! They need to do SOMETHING NOW!"

See? Thats insanity there. 2.9s to 60 and 11 second quarter mile STOCK? Not enough. Need 14,000 HP. Jet engine maybe. And STILL... there is a debate there on the NAGTROC... "Is the GT-R a supercar?" Its like little aggravation gnomes run around and stir these idiot threads up just to annoy people.

For NEARLY EVERY NORMAL HUMAN... *any* of these cars (YES... including the "pathetically common" 911 and Corvette) is a "super car" and an "exotic". And yeah, I get it that if you live in Jerseylicious mobville NJ, or NYC, or LA, or Asia West (parts of Canada where the avg income is $1B), or the UAE, etc then Koenigseggs are the equivalent of an Accord and house cleaners drive the ZR1. Guess what? That's about .01% of the population so congratulations, you live in an area that skews averages and warps reality and isnt representative of really anything. The average person doesn't spend $100,000 on a car or buy a used car that has $0 utility, an expensive maintenance cycle and yet is STILL $50-$60k with no warranty.

Thats why you will see articles like that Yahoo one. Or see the motoring press refer to ALL of these cars (including the Viper, GT-R and the Supra as well) as "supercars".

MILLIONS of cars sell each year and most of them have features that include <200HP, good gas mileage, decent trunk space, etc. Many of them are also 5000 lb people movers.

For the hyper elitist set that arent impressed with a Veyron unless it has been modded to 2900HP and lightened, then yeah, these cars are all pedestrian crap.

But to the *vast* majority of people, they're ALL "supercars"

Which is why the definition of the term is everything. Most of the folks in heated debate on this thread are effectively not speaking the same language. Folks trying to make calls to authority to "settle it" are simply just not getting it.

It is *subjective* and therefore meaningless to argue. Steve is 100% spot on. Next lets argue over "hot or not" (and yep, people do... on and on and on... LOL)

Last edited:
Back