• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just put in GM Friction Modified.

My buddy that owns nothing but GM products also swerars by this stuff.
Might have to give it a try for the same reason NetViper did.
Thanks for the tip.:D

Just Finished!!!

Done! Dumped the 1 year old Redline from the Previous Owner.
Wow, it does make a difference right off the bat!
Shifting into 1st gear rolling or stopped is much easier.
Gear changes otherwise are definately smoother.
West End Acura sold me the 2+1 bottles for less than GM. HA!
Gone to rip up the town!
Trev
Note: I as well did not have any serious problem. Just felt the shifting could be improved.

Sounds good. I think I'll give it a try. I noticed that mine would sometimes grind in 5th gear, but only when still cold. Do you think this would solve the problem? Anyone in SoCal try this stuff yet?

Thanks to all for the interesting posts!...

If I am not experiencing any problems with shifting at all, will this stuff "hurt" the internals moreso than just using the recommended Honda MTL?

I'm about to perform this diy... thanks for the great write up DanO!

Spinner said:
Sounds good. I think I'll give it a try. I noticed that mine would sometimes grind in 5th gear, but only when still cold. Do you think this would solve the problem? Anyone in SoCal try this stuff yet?

Are you really asking for informed opinions from Californians? (joke)

This oil is way to thin, it is like water when it is hot. I ruined my ITR transmission with that fluid, drain it ASAP. Better having grinding noise than to have little metall pieces in the transmission. Get Honda fluid!

slashmatt said:
Are you really asking for informed opinions from Californians? (joke)

Yahhhh.Duuuude that stuff ROCKS.....hehe.......(uses best surfer accent...)

Last edited:
austrian type-R said:
This oil is way to thin, it is like water when it is hot. I ruined my ITR transmission with that fluid, drain it ASAP. Better having grinding noise than to have little metall pieces in the transmission. Get Honda fluid!

ouch
201.gif

austrian type-R said:

Funny, I have not heard that story on ANY other site.

And you WON'T hear that from any other site either.....don't allow your judgments to be based on what ONE odd-ball states happened to the transimission of his RACE CAR, which could of been beat up and failed for a multitude of other reasons. I reiterate, NO ONE todate has shown this stuff to give premature wear & tear or be anything less than a marvelous fluid (GM Synchromesh FM) for their Honda trannies. We're talking about dozens upons dozens of people who've used it for years in racing applications as well... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

--- Kevin

PS: Over a month now and counting....my new "GM friction modified" transmission feels and shifts like a dream! :D

Well, all I can say is, that I had used oem Honda fluid and had sometimes syncro probelms with my tranny. Then I switched to this GM stuff and after 400km the SAME tranny started to get realy loud. I drained it and the fluid was contained with a bit of metall pieces. My tuner said that this oil is too thin for race application or long high speed highway driving, cause it gets too thin when it heats up. HE had probelms with similar oils in the years back too. Opel (a GM brand in Europe) recommend to mix a heavier oil along with such kind of thin oils, cause they had semo tranny problems from factory with thin oils.

Since his is an NSX forum I think some of you race the NSX I guess. I just like to share my experience with you.

A heavier oil will lubricate things better when it heats up than a thinner oil, thats fact. Heavier oil = more heat resistance

HELP !!!

I guess I got the wrong stuff then.:(
GM Syncro P/N#123456349 qt.
GM FM P/N#1052358 pint.

I told the parts guy the wrong quantity of each but he told me that the FM is only sold in 4oz bottles@ $8.30. each So therefore I would need 8 bottles for 1 qt ?? Am I missing something here or did I ask for the wrong stuff?
I ended up with 2 qts of syncro and 8 bottles of FM (4oz) per.

Last edited:
Re: HELP !!!

92NSX said:
I guess I got the wrong stuff then.:(
GM Syncro P/N#123456349 qt.
GM FM P/N#1052358 pint.

I told the parts guy the wrong quantity of each but he told me that the FM is only sold in 4oz bottles@ $8.30. each So therefore I would need 8 bottles for 1 qt ?? Am I missing something here or did I ask for the wrong stuff?
I ended up with 2 qts of syncro and 8 bottles of FM (4oz) per.

...I took the liberty of finding and posting the actual picture the both containers for you guys out there....so there'll be no mistaking :) (The bottle to the left in the traditional oil container looking bottle is the FM formula, the good stuff. The cylinderical container to the right is the regualr sychromesh, also good. I did TWO bottle of FM and ONE of regular sychromesh ;) )

Below;

Attachments

• gm sychromesh fm.jpg
    gm sychromesh fm.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 5,007
Felt the difference

My tranny fluid was due to be changed so I thought I'd give these fluids a try. Two years ago I used Honda MTF fluid and it did not resolve the notchiness of the tranny. For comparison I drove De's 2004 NSX and his tranny feels smooth like butter when shifting gears.

San Diego NSXers, I bought these fluid from C&M Chevrolet located in Balboa Ave at $11.34/ quart. I used a different formula than the people here,
2 Qt GM "Friction Modified"
1/2 Qt GM Syncromesh Fluid
1/2 Qt Valvoline 20w50 motor oil (to thicken the mixture up)

Austrian type-R says that straight GMFM is watery at high temperatures so the 20w50 oil should thicken this up a little bit.

After 30 minutes of driving, I can definately feel the difference. Shift lever goes into all the gears a lot smoother than it was before with the Honda MTF.

Last edited:
HOLY CRAP !!! I am SO thankful to ffffanman,NSXTASY_MD, and NetViper for saving my arse.
My GM parts dude gave me friction modifier for the rear axle in error :eek: I told him what I wanted but he said that there wasn't any modifier sold in quarts that he knew of.....until now.:D

Thanks again guys for looking out for me. Makes me cringe just thinking of what could've happened.:mad:

No problem! We have to look out for eachother. My tranny still feels great.

92NSX said:
HOLY CRAP !!! I am SO thankful to ffffanman,NSXTASY_MD, and NetViper for saving my arse.
My GM parts dude gave me friction modifier for the rear axle in error :eek: I told him what I wanted but he said that there wasn't any modifier sold in quarts that he knew of.....until now.:D

Thanks again guys for looking out for me. Makes me cringe just thinking of what could've happened.:mad:

I told you they're morons...never underestimate the stupidity of the "counter people" at dealerships, LOL. Glad to know you're on the right track now...you WILL be pleased with the results...enjoy. :)

wow, i had a tough time tracking these down. None of the local Autozones has the Penzoil Friction Modified type and only 1 GM dealership had the GM FM type. I get all different answers from the parts guys when i ask about it. Some said it was for their trucks, not car. Another said it was used in the mid 90s and not so much anymore. Sounds a bit strange, but it seems people are having good results with it so i'll give it a try.

92NSX said:
Is it better to attempt this job with the car on a lift or will just putting it on jack stands be alright?

I paid $8 bucks to get it done at a Honda dealership.

NetViper said:
I paid $8 bucks to get it done at a Honda dealership.
Good God, Dave. Did you have them staring at a pin pulled on a hand-grenade to get that price or what? $8 is a freaking steal.

KGP said:
Good God, Dave. Did you have them staring at a pin pulled on a hand-grenade to get that price or what? $8 is a freaking steal.

I had the oil changed at the same time. Acutally, it might have been $8 for oil and $18 for tranny. Nonetheless, it was cheap! :)

Back