• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just put in GM Friction Modified.

not really much difference to report yet, but i also need to adjust my double clutching habit to really give it a test :).

couple thousand miles later, no difference. waste of money in my case, especially since i had just done the tranny fluid :p. oh well, it was worth a shot.

I had the high rpm grind at the track before. After putting in the GM friction modified, the high rpm grind is gone! I'm a happy camper again. :biggrin:

Henry.

I started to develop an issue shifting into 1st and reverse when cold, I put in the GM fluid and noticed the issue seemed a bit worse, unless you rowed through the gears a few times when cold, if you did this it would get very smooth - initially I thought the GM fluid might just need to work its way around the trans, but the trans still responds a lot better if you shift through 1st to reverse 2-3 times prior to driving off... perhaps there are different weights of the GM fluid? I used 2xFM syncromesh and 1 regular, purchased at a Chevrolet dealership.

I've been using This stuff in both my NSX and RSX transmissions. Both operate smoother then they did with fresh Honda MTF, and it elminated a third gear notchy when cold issue with the RSX that a transmission parts replacement bulliten didn't cure.

I never really had a problem with grinding just notchiness but occasionally I'd get a few grinds from quick high rpm shifts while tracking.

After refilling with this, the difference was instant. 1 mile down the road and shifts were smoother. Going into reverse or first at a stop was much easier.

No problems at the track this weekend, synchros didn't grind once.

I did this mod last year and noticed an immediate difference (my car has a notchy shifting issue when cold, esp. into 2nd gear). However, about 3K miles later the benefit was gone and the tranny behaved like normal.

I ended up putting the Honda fluid back.

I also tried it - 2 quarts of FM and 1 of regular GM syncromesh. After about a thousand miles and one track event, I started noticing a significant whine coming from the tranny. At first I thought it was tire tread noise (sounds just like it), but it happened with my treadless R compound track tires at highway speeds. Passengers in my car even asked about the whine! So I drained it and went back to Honda certified MT fluid. It's not nearly as watery. And the whining went away.

So, after trying it, I would NOT recommend doing it. But I don't have any real scientific data to back that up.

Jeff

Hondatech said:
I've been using This stuff in both my NSX and RSX transmissions. Both operate smoother then they did with fresh Honda MTF, and it elminated a third gear notchy when cold issue with the RSX that a transmission parts replacement bulliten didn't cure.

Are you mixing it with Honda MTF? Can I use this in the rear diff. also?

Onsoku said:
Are you mixing it with Honda MTF? Can I use this in the rear diff. also?

No mixing, just filling the trans up with 100% Amsoil MTF. Since the rear diff in the NSX shares the fluid with the transmission, you don't really have a choice :wink: But I would not recommend it for any car that uses a seperate rear diff.

I just change the oil to Penzoil SynchroMesh after reading this post and it makes big difference the minute you drive out from the shop, but it did not fix my stiff/grinding shifting to 5th. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th are much better with synchromesh. They engage smoothly. It is big difference using this oil, but in my case the shifting from 4th to 5th sucks is the same, maybe little better but not much.

Thanks,
Dave

Seems like the choice is to do 2 bottles Synchromesh Friction Modified with 1 bottle Syncromesh Trans Fluid.

Can I ask why mix them? And not just use ALL Synchromesh Friction Modified or ALL Syncromesh Trans Fluid?

NetViper, after about 2 years with this fluid, would you still say GM FM fluid is the way to go? Have you been mixing like some others or is it solely the FM fluid in your tranny?

In the manual, Honda recommends changing the tranny fluid every 60K miles... should the interval be the same with this fluid?

Thanks in advance!
Nick

NetViper, after about 2 years with this fluid, would you still say GM FM fluid is the way to go? Have you been mixing like some others or is it solely the FM fluid in your tranny?

In the manual, Honda recommends changing the tranny fluid every 60K miles... should the interval be the same with this fluid?

Thanks in advance!
Nick

I've been using the GM Synchromesh Friction Modified mixed with GM Syncromesh Transmission (50%/50%) for about 3 years in my 91 (123,000 miles currently). It corrected a notchy shift particulary downshifting from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st (before using it - it was almost impossible to do the 2nd-1st without coming to a stop). I replace my transmission oil every oil change (I do it myself). It takes an extra 20 minutes and costs next to nothing compared to a new transmission.

Looks like GM changed up one of the numbers, just to let people know.
Trev
GM synchromesh fluid - #89021808
GM Friction Modified - #12377916 Number has changed 10953509 is the new number.

Looks like GM changed up one of the numbers, just to let people know.
Trev
GM synchromesh fluid - #89021808
GM Friction Modified - #12377916 Number has changed 10953509 is the new number.

Hmm, I just did mine this weekend. From the local Chevy dealer:

1qt Synchromesh, #12345349 for $15
2qts Synchromesh Friction Modified #12377916 for $14 each.

My '92 daily driver with ~90k miles had the preventative fix for snap ring failure two years ago. While it was apart, I had new synchros and a few bearings put in as preventative maintenance, even though the tranny shifted perfectly. After it was rebuilt, it didn't shift as smooth as before - never had any grinding with the rebuilt tranny, but the shifts were notchy.

Since it was due for the two year tranny flush, I did the 2qt FM and 1qt regular synchromesh. I could tell the difference immediately. Goes into 1st gear much easier when rolling, and my notchy 1-2 shift is much smoother now, but still there. I never had a problem with 5th gear.

I am VERY HAPPY. The Chevy guys saw me pull in with the NSX and told me they get a lot of Honda customers in for the FM. I should have done this a long time ago. Little things like this make the drive so much nicer.

~2.5 years and ~23,000 miles later, 3 quarts of Friction Modified is working great.

I was also told at the GM dealership that lots of Honda guys come in for the same stuff.

Bump.
Found this while searching for my 2nd gear notchiness issue.
Going to try it.

Did you try the Honda white cap stuff? I had the 2nd gear notichiness as well as difficulty getting the car in gear at a stop light. I had Redline in it. It's smooth as silk now with the Honda white cap. The GM stuff may not be available the way their stock is looking :-o

Jeff

I went to the Chevy dealer yesterday and they told me that they only make the Friction Modified, the regular Syncromesh is no longer made.

So I used 2 Qts of the FM and 1 Qt Honda white. Seems to work great. I didn't have any real issues before other than the standard notchyness when cold, but that seems to be gone as well it does seem to be much smoother everywhere. Not night and day, but there seems to be an improvement.

Cant find it anywhere!!!! tried everywhere,,, is it cuz im in Tampa,FL and the mechanics are morons???

just talked to Ferman Chev in Tampa 1-813-375-9205 Lionel
He says he has the 12345349 syncromesh $19.18 quart
He says he has the 12377916 modified $16.06 quart
Do you want me to drive down and get it for you as well?
9751 Adamo Drive
Tampa

Takes a guy from the other side of the world to call and help you guys...
wtf?
Trev

Back