• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Michigan check-in & spotting by blodi pt.2

We are talking about the same NSX. Has anyone had a chance to check it out yet?

I don't know if Patrick had a chance to check it out, would you like Judi and I to go and have a look this Saturday (tomorrow) for you?

Brian

Here's the report of Judi and I checking out JH4NA1182TT000032 (Black / Black 1996 NSX-T) at International Auto Center (owner Mazen 'Mason' Dawoud), 15745 Telegraph in Redford, MI;

Overall it ran and drove pretty well (how Honda-like) so might be worth at some price bringing back to it's previous glory, but I'm not sure how financially viable it might be.....

From the Carfax, it had been in a Right Front accident by hitting a parked vehicle (3/2001 @ 40,541 miles).
Clearly they replaced a bunch of stuff in that corner, and the alignment of the various panels still isn't quite right.
The fact that A/C condenser still needs to be replaced (he ordered the part from an Acura dealer and plans to install it soon) makes me think it was a pretty substantial hit to do damage that deep.

In no particular order, here are the issues I found ('Mason' was pretty forthcoming with several of these);

A/C obviously not working yet
The LR tire is a Kuhmo, the rest are Bridgestones
No spare tire
No tool kit
New battery, but the hold-down system had yet to be installed
Engine cover (that holds the targa top) needs to be recovered
The engine glass hatch struts are shot
The stereo speakers in the DS door are not working, and the volume knob is worn in one spot
Didn't try the cassette (although the cassette door had a broken spring)
Engine coil covers (both sides) are missing
The DS door armrest needs some significant repair (leather pulled away a lot, don't understand how that might have happened- maybe trying to fix the speaker?)
Then center console (split type) needs to be repaired (rear section hinge completely unattached).
Both seat TILT adjusters are inop (both electric motors make noise but do nothing- fore / aft still work OK)
The DS outside mirror is inop (and pointing way down, not fun while driving)
Shift knob worn and stitching loose
DS front fender LINER wonky on the upper area (wavy, not sure why)
Front calipers need to be refinished (rears looked OK)
Wheels (esp DS) could use a refinish
Brake lamp dash indicator on (we checked all the lights EXCEPT the brake lights- DOH!)
Targa seals need to be replaced (no evidence of water leakage, but it did rattle occasionally during the drive) and had sizeable tears front & rear
Brakes felt a little mushy (and I slightly locked the DS Front the first test panic stop) but they felt somewhat better after that.
There were several paint issues all over the car (black hides nothing!) especially at the top rear of the PS front fender.

OK, are you getting a picture of where it stands now?
I took many photos, but I don't think you'll need them :frown:

Mason told me that he likes driving it and will probably just keep fixing things until it sells, but when he mentioned $39,995 as the 100% fixed price I couldn't help but think that $5K ain't gonna cover it (add a TB / WP service to that, and game over).

Hope that helps,
Brian & Judi

Thanks for saving me the drive. It was on the "buy and do some serious work to if the price is right" list and I honestly wouldnt offer a penny over $33k anyway. Welp, I fly back out to work tomorrow at noon so let the owner restore it to its glory.

Last edited:
:smile: Brian and Judi - you two are the bestest! Teej now owes you a full course of Timmies including hot chocolate and baked goods. THX for NOT posting pics, 'cause we got the clue on this one. Mr. Mason can just keep driving and fixing....

Detailed and ready.

DSC01452.jpg

Three SWEET early '60's Morgasm's parked next to us.

DSC01456.jpg

Hardware.

DSC01461.jpg

:smile: Brian and Judi - you two are the bestest! Teej now owes you a full course of Timmies including hot chocolate and baked goods. THX for NOT posting pics, 'cause we got the clue on this one. Mr. Mason can just keep driving and fixing....

Well... that being said... lol... another has popped up in Southfield if anyone is in that area. Dont make a road trip out of it though. BTW, not sure why Mason is asking $40k in person when its listed on Autotrader for $33.9k but anyway, heres the '95

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...us=0&maxPrice=45000&listingId=324597688&Log=0

VIN JH4NA1181ST000246

There must be someone closer to Southfield that can swing by Glassman (commute home perhaps?) to get the lowdown on VIN JH4NA1181ST000246.

To clarify, Mason was asking $33,995 as it sits now, and if he fixes everything he said it would bump to $39,995 (which I think might be optimistic).

Neal, was it the LBBP or the Imola that snagged the vino? :wink:

Baker's yesterday had some nice rides, including another local Porsche CGT!
Brian

Attachments

• IMG_1769.jpg
    IMG_1769.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Hi Neal, Judi, Brian and the rest of the NSX gang! Sounds like you all have been having some automotive fun -- I've been spending most of my free time cycling (in training for a trip on Blue Ridge Parkway, NC in 2 weeks). The NSX hasn't seen much action since the last OH Cars and Coffee but I did manage to get over to Woodward this past Friday evening -- quite the scene -- ran into Chris. I did see a beautiful Supra Twin Turbo (well, per the owner it now has a single turbo w/550+ rwhp) -- very tastefully done.

Are the prices of NA1s escalating these days? 40K for the car at Glassman with 60,000 + miles? This is making me think that my /94 which is in as near perfect shape as can be with under 37,000 miles must be worth more than I thought -- LOL!

Teej, if you want, PM me -- my office is right around corner from Glassman and I can swing by there and take a look for you. I'm sure if I show up in my NSX they will release the car to me for a drive.

Best,
Jeff

It was a real treat seeing the CGT there! I've seen exotics at Baker's, but that was my first time seeing a supercar. It was great seeing you all there!

Chris

I put a new battery in the beast, and while I was in there removed the whole battery tray assembly to clean it up a bit.....then added fittings for a quick release plug to the battery tender.
I also got 2 new rear tires, which since they're in a bit better shape than Ryan's will probably install next Spring ;^D

Brian

Attachments

• New Battery 6-2012.jpg
    New Battery 6-2012.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 33
Looks good, Brian. And it was the Imola that won the award last Saturday.

Mad that I missed that red CGT at Bakers last Sunday - darnit. Nick that rat rod and van are really neat - thanks for posting the pics.

See some of you at CJ's this evening!

Saw another red NSX today in Lansing, it was at the hot tub shop on Michigan Ave. between downtown and 127. I was on a bike, so I didn't get a picture, but it looked to be the same as the car I posted from last fall.

Nick

Old Tires= Sketchy....

IMG_20120627_172623 by blodi, on Flickr

New Star Specs!

IMG_20120627_212504 by blodi, on Flickr

These things look beastly on the car. I did go up to the 275 on the rear. Still 215's in the front but they still look wider than the old Falkens.

Got to take it for a quick spin last night after I put them on. I can instantly tell there is more grip, but I didn't push it too hard. I got a chance to put the hammer down through 1st gear and it actually puts the power to the ground now, making it slightly violent. :wink::biggrin:

IMG_20120627_221304 by blodi, on Flickr

Awesome, but remember to be a little careful the first 300 miles or so, until you burn off the mold release compound.
Actually, I predict somehow your rears will take less time than that :biggrin:

Brian

Awesome, but remember to be a little careful the first 300 miles or so, until you burn off the mold release compound.
Actually, I predict somehow your rears will take less time than that :biggrin:

Brian

Yeah, I'll let em break in a bit, I swear I felt a touch of wheel spin into 3rd on an on ramp last night. :eek:

On another note, looks like Pike Peak is postponed. Bummer for Bree and I as we were hoping to visit Cody while we are out there next week. I'm sure Cody will be happy to have the extra time and maybe some sleep though.

Ryan, what do you mean by slightly violent? Speaking of tires I happen to have 5 Michelin Exalto PE2 tires if any of you out there are still running 16/17 setup. 2 fronts - 205/45/16 and 3 rears 245/40/17. These are new and have never been mounted. I bought these shortly after I got my car end of 2009 but then decided to stick with the OEM Bridgestone RE010s. They have been living in my basement since I bought them. I'm going to put these on ebay/Prime soon but before I do so I thought I'd let my MI NSX friends know. I'm looking to get 1/2 of what I paid so could be a good buy for someone. Happy to share the bill for same with anyone who wants to buy and I paid for installation and I'm sure Discount Tire will honor that so that gets thrown in. If any of you have any interest PM me, thanks. See below link for some info from Tire Rack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=104&affiliate=HJ7

Best,
Jeff

My jaw dropped the moment I saw this one, a 1972 Nissan Skyline 2000GT. I never thought I would see one of these in person, especially in the US!

I got some nice accelerations in the video.

Chris

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/s0JGaxdPTgw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

^^^ I should say so, I've never seen that early a Skyline before.......sounded like a non-turbo, eh?

Brian

Back