• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My J swapped NSX...sorry for the wait. love or hate

this will be a game changer for the NSX if everything falls in place. Nobody wants to push the limits cause nobody wants to pay 10k for a c3xa motor build. thanks for trying something different, looking forward to your updates.

this will be a game changer for the NSX if everything falls in place. Nobody wants to push the limits cause nobody wants to pay 10k for a c3xa motor build. thanks for trying something different, looking forward to your updates.

This is very true. Much better if we can get a motor to work and be 1/5 the cost. I would love to see 360HP out of it NA with a 7500 RPM redline. Would be a blast.

The camera on my phone still isn't working. I picked up a j37 shortblock yesterday for $200 I will use the crank to build the stroker motor. I will post pics of progresses when I can.

I guess I just don't get it. I could understand if the motor was leaps and bounds ahead of the C series but IMO it's a step back or close to it. It's sohc, still has a timing belt, no I-vtec(the real I-vtec not the joke cylinder deactivation). Aside from a larger displacement what are you gaining?

B series x 1.5 = C series
D series x 1.5 = J Series
K series x 1.5 = Doesn't exist yet <---This would be worth it.

Last edited:
I guess I just don't get it...

No you have missed the point... Parts and the cost of re-builds on a J series motor are much much cheaper than our C series motors. Secondly, VTEC is useless when turbo charging a motor...

Answer: Cheaper engines, cheaper parts, bigger displacement, more boost, more power = better $/hp + Not so worried or upset when engine goes kaboom! Just build another!

Probably get 3 J series engines built for the cost of one C series!

I would agree with you if you are staying NA, however if your going FI; bloody good idea I reckon! I'm watching with great interest...

No you have missed the point... Parts and the cost of re-builds on a J series motor are much much cheaper than our C series motors. Secondly, VTEC is useless when turbo charging a motor...

Answer: Cheaper engines, cheaper parts, bigger displacement, more boost, more power = better $/hp + Not so worried or upset when engine goes kaboom! Just build another!

Probably get 3 J series engines built for the cost of one C series!

I would agree with you if you are staying NA, however if your going FI; bloody good idea I reckon! I'm watching with great interest...

Nope still don't get it. Explain why VTEC is useless on a turbocharged engine? I'd love to hear this.

3 J series engine builds using the same parts? Quality parts for a C30/32 are the same as any other engine 6 cylinder engine. Rods, pistons, and valvetrain for the NSX are all reasonably priced compared to many other engines. Same goes for sleeving the engine.

More boost? More power? A larger more efficient engine would actually require less boost to achieve the same power. Also from what I have seen they are making similar/less power to c32's in stock form.

That's a crazy statement. Vtec actually helps spool a turbo because off vtec the motor generates more toque. They work great together.

Comparing a c and a j is crazy also. Will it work with a j yes but come one really. Your pulling out an amazing engine designed to rev to 9000 to put an engine that barely touches 7000....I would never, as cheap as it might be I bought an NSX not a TL.

If building the c is too expensive then perhaps building a civic is something to consider lol

I guess I just don't get it. I could understand if the motor was leaps and bounds ahead of the C series but IMO it's a step back or close to it. It's sohc, still has a timing belt, no I-vtec(the real I-vtec not the joke cylinder deactivation). Aside from a larger displacement what are you gaining?

Incorrect,

B Series > C Series C30A C32B
D Series > C Series C32A C35A
R Series > J Series (although with less thermal equipment)

- - - Updated - - -

That's a crazy statement. Vtec actually helps spool a turbo because off vtec the motor generates more toque. They work great together.

Comparing a c and a j is crazy also. Will it work with a j yes but come one really. Your pulling out an amazing engine designed to rev to 9000 to put an engine that barely touches 7000....I would never, as cheap as it might be I bought an NSX not a TL.

If building the c is too expensive then perhaps building a civic is something to consider lol
J-Series are dirt cheap to build compared to C-Series.

BUT the statement that the NSX C engine is such a ohh so special engine is incorrect.
Only thing special are the connecting rods!
Basically
Take a C27A Legend engine (virtually identical block!) add B-series cylinder head layout off a CRX/Integra and your done....
The only innovation on the NSX was the titanium con-rods, the rest was just a combination of existing Honda parts/designs add the fact of it being superior Honda technology and you get the NSX.
Drive train on a NSX is by no means a clean sheet design.

The expense of tuning a C-Series is universal to all cars equipped with it.
Tuning a Legend is also a expensive undertaking, on par with a NSX.

I tune cars all the time, why would it cost more to tune an NSX turbo compared to something else?

Unless by tune you mean modify?

My point is, we bought nsx's for what they are. If you don't have funds for them don't build it.

It's like having an Integra type r and pulling the motor out to put a single cam cause they are cheaper lol or having a TL and pulling the j series out to put a b series cause its cheaper...makes no sense to me.

And even though the block could be very similar, it's not! And the heads aren't as simple as putting on b series heads...come on give Honda a bit more credit then that.

I tune cars all the time, why would it cost more to tune an NSX turbo compared to something else?

Unless by tune you mean modify?

My point is, we bought nsx's for what they are. If you don't have funds for them don't build it.

It's like having an Integra type r and pulling the motor out to put a single cam cause they are cheaper lol or having a TL and pulling the j series out to put a b series cause its cheaper...makes no sense to me.

And even though the block could be very similar, it's not! And the heads aren't as simple as putting on b series heads...come on give Honda a bit more credit then that.
Installing a J engine isn't always about lack of funds it can also be to be different, experiment with newer technology.
You do know Honda's own HPD installed a HR28TT (J-Series!) into a pikes-peak NSX!

I give Honda huge credit for everything I've been a die-hard Honda fan for decades.
It's undermining Honda's engineers to be so discriminating of there work.

Old school Honda's are built to be as good as can be for there application they then standarddize that perfected template to be used in other projects.
Getting that old Integra to push 100HP/L was a huge feat of engineering, whilst using a normal setup.
BMW who in my eyes is second only to Honda needs full equal length exhaust, and ITB's to get near Honda performance and then they lack long term reliability.

They made the marvelous B Engine, which was than used as a propitiatory go fast reliable technology that template can be down size to get CRX, Integra, Civc up sized towards NSX.
They made the awesome C-Engine with is huge reliability and advanced efficiency.

Joined those two to create one of/if not the best V6 ever.
Honda perfected each design and then made it practical in the real world ether for use in a high-revving runabout or a high end sportcar.

The real one off miracle is the chassis and the wonderful suspension layout.

Ok yes you made your point, to be different perhaps. Cheaper to build yes.

The 100hp/L engine was the b16. The sir motor that was released in 1989. Amazing engine.

So when is this j series nsx running, I would like to see more....still not totally convinced lol

Ok yes you made your point, to be different perhaps. Cheaper to build yes.

The 100hp/L engine was the b16. The sir motor that was released in 1989. Amazing engine.

So when is this j series nsx running, I would like to see more....still not totally convinced lol
If all goes as expected he COULD be able to do a piston, head, and ecu swap to the new direct injection engine. possibly the new NSX engine valvetrain.

If I were an NA guy, I would never consider it, but for FI, if I can get more power and more important, more reliability from a 550HP turbo, the idea is appealing. Blowing up a C series SUX.

Yeah this would really only benefit someone whos going to track/beat their car often knowing that at some point something will break and parts will need to be replaced $$$. I plan on having my NSX for the long haul and dont ever plan on selling it so i dont care about the re-sale. I love the C3xa but honestly its nothing special anymore. yeah its nice to rev to 8k, but the J-series doesnt need that its a torque monster. Cant beat cheap oem parts, cheap aftermarket, parts being readily available, +100lbs weight savings, a lot more room in engine bay, and most all J-series engine parts are interchangeable.

Stock motor is equal displacement in what I am doing. Its not the same to claim the j32a3 as a d its closer to to new k with the integrated exhaust port design. The power out put is also closer to 1.5 kserirs

Nope still don't get it. Explain why VTEC is useless on a turbocharged engine? I'd love to hear this.

3 J series engine builds using the same parts? Quality parts for a C30/32 are the same as any other engine 6 cylinder engine. Rods, pistons, and valvetrain for the NSX are all reasonably priced compared to many other engines. Same goes for sleeving the engine.

More boost? More power? A larger more efficient engine would actually require less boost to achieve the same power. Also from what I have seen they are making similar/less power to c32's in stock form.

I have made more power out of a stock j32a3 than I ever did with a stock c series. I made nearly 260 whp out of one with cheap intake and full exhaust. I only made around 230whp on a c series with more mods.

Its not all about the cost. If it was I would have bought a different car and not spent ~30k on a shell. I could have purchased a running nsx with a c motor but I'm building a car to perform how I want it to and not how someone in the late 80s early 90s wanted it to perform.

good luck trying to make these numbers without spending over 10-15K for a NSX stroker motor or some ITB's

http://www.j32a.com/showthread.php?t=2303 322 whp, 292 lbs torque, using all cheap oem parts

http://www.j32a.com/showthread.php?t=2237 717whp, 581 lbs torque ...Turbo J32A2 again using oem parts

Good info there

I'm a man that can admit when I'm wrong. And this is one of those times.
The more I read up on the j the more I'm becoming a believer. I have to apologize but you guys are right! Wow I'm impressed.

I'm gonna read up more on these j motors...

I did however make 258 whp on my nsx c30 with dc headers and a jasma exhaust, no cold air just a filter with a short pipe off the tbody and nearly 230,000 kilometres on the motor....

Last edited:
Here is a small update. Some pictures of the block I picked up so i can build the stroker motor. and a couple pics of the finished passenger side mount. It was mild steel, it just has been media blasted to give it the color. When i finish all the mounts i will have them powder coated.

20130126_150647_zps395e7e48.jpg

20130126_150708_zps3a9ecba9.jpg

20130126_150954_zpsf1b48d92.jpg

20130126_151008_zpsfdb3ddde.jpg

20130126_151018_zps6f4a51d4.jpg

Wasn't there a difference in the mounting pattern of the bell housing on the j37?

The only manual trans that will fit this block is a 07-08 tl type trans. The flywheels are also very different. From a cost/maintanence standpoint it is better for me to use the j32 stuff move over the crank and rods and get some oversized pistons and convert it to 3.6. I will be breaking transmissions and the 3.2 trans is much easier to obtain. I will take a pic of the difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Wasn't there a difference in the mounting pattern of the bell housing on the j37?

The only manual trans that will fit this block is a 07-08 tl type trans. The flywheels are also very different. From a cost/maintanence standpoint it is better for me to use the j32 stuff move over the crank and rods and get some oversized pistons and convert it to 3.6. I will be breaking transmissions and the 3.2 trans is much easier to obtain. I will take a pic of the difference.

Back