• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My J swapped NSX...sorry for the wait. love or hate

One thing I really envy about the Porsche community is their ability to mix-match the best parts from across decades into one car, as well as the aftermarket support they see even for the older platforms. A small part of me loves the 'as intended' aspect of older technology like the C30/C32 in the NSX (it's almost charming since compared to a modern sports car the NSX is relatively stone-aged), but this definitely opens up a whole new world for the NSX community if these projects become more common and established. Anything that makes this platform more accessible for more people will spur on more aftermarket development for the platform, which is win-win-win. Gigantic thumbs up, this is such a cool project. Wish I had the knowledge/facilities to take this on myself, such a cool project...

Sorry no updates yet. I have been putting all my free time into getting the two busas ready for race season. As soon as the bikes are ready it will pick back up. One of them will be finished this week other than paint on the plastics.

Lack of updates due to funding. I need to work on customers cars and other projects to make the money to fund this.

I do need an over flow tank and cv shafts if anyone has any sitting around. The cv boots don't need to be good. I will have to take them apart to build the right size.. should be picking up double time this weekend.

I'm nearly done with the second mount. The motor is in and stable without the assistance of the cradle or cherry picker. Once the trans mount is finished I will move to the front mount, then rear. After the mounts are done I will work on tge axels and shift linkage.

Question. Should I keep ac? It won't be very much more work but I probably would never use it. Would it be worth keeping it just to say its fully functional?

I say yes for what it's worth. That way the detractors can never say you cheaped out or it's just a race build.

Keep going. This is one fascinating build you have undertaken. We are all pulling for you to be successful with this.

I say yes for what it's worth. That way the detractors can never say you cheaped out or it's just a race build.

Keep going. This is one fascinating build you have undertaken. We are all pulling for you to be successful with this.

Thank you. Although I am going to be racing it. I want others to see it as a possible swap for the guys that want ac and all factory oprions

I think this is a great thread. you can pick up a wrecked TL typeS for like 2600 I have been wanting to to do this for awhile now.

Ok. Here are some pics. Please remember I am working out of a small shop with basic hand tools. the mount is still very raw. it will be cleaned up quite a bit then coated. The motor is sitting in the car completly level and just held in by the two mounts i built.

20130406_175421_zpse789eb21.jpg

20130406_175414_zps1d4ea5b6.jpg

20130406_175337_zpsc070f446.jpg

20130406_175324_zpsa5e5c20f.jpg

20130406_175310_zps771f7d1d.jpg

20130406_175213_zps5341adc8.jpg

20130406_175106_zpsdcb298e9.jpg

does the TL transmission not have a mounting location on the top, like the nsx? looking good bet if feels good to have the engine supporting itself now

does the TL transmission not have a mounting location on the top, like the nsx? looking good bet if feels good to have the engine supporting itself now

It does. It has two mount bolts at the top. Some people that were using the motor to race and only utilizing the two top bolts at problems dropping the trans out of the car because the bolts pull the aluminum threading out. So the bottom half is just extra bracing. I'm going to try and knock out the front mount this weekend and start the back mount. Then to the axels.

Thank you. This build was accepted far better than I thought it was going to.

I moved it yesterday from one of my shops to the other one. I am going to try to complete the front mount tomorrow. I just threw some wheels on it and learned the hub center is bigger on the front. Didn't know that before. 19x9.5 with a 235/45 tire

photo-1_zpsf9680b8e.jpg

photo_zpscbd7eb2d.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Another update. I started looking at the front mount and came up with this. The tl factory mount with the tl innovative mount almost bolted directly up. I need to modify it a small amount tomorrow and it will be ready

IMAG0774_zpsb8a1b200.jpg

100MEDIA_IMAG0773_zpsc81cbc7a.jpg

100MEDIA_IMAG0772_zps521da764.jpg

It will get finished. I wont give up. I dont think the cv shafts will be a problem. I am going to try and find some scrap stock nsx shafts to make some to work, then i will go for the shift linkage. I got some good info from another memer, and i might try to source a c30 or c32 transmission.

If anyone has a stock transmission that has problems. I could really use one for testing. I will cover all shipping costs and send it back after I test. Anyone have one stilling around?

I received a call a few hours ago about a c30 trans. I am going to get it this weekend, and do more testing. Im kind of hopefull about the results. I may be running a j2c setup. I will know more. The trans is in Dallas so i wont have time to go get it until friday.

Back